Do you think non-white ethnicities integrate well in UK?

I'm not racist but...

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Do you think non-white ethnicities integrate well in UK?

#41  Postby Briton » Feb 28, 2017 7:02 am

Weaver wrote:I have a rule.

Any time someone starts off their discussion by saying "I'm not a racist but ...", I start off by assuming that they're a racist. It isn't 100% foolproof - but it seems to be highly effective, and saves me a whole lot of time listening to racist bullshit from racists.

I make no claim that this rule applies to the OP himself - but, as others have noted, there is evident racism in the OP content.

I agree. He might as well have just said; "I'm a racist".

(Invalid thank? That's a first).
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby tuco » Feb 28, 2017 7:28 am

Yeah, hence a PRO tip, start with: "I am a racist but ..." to eliminate the obvious knee jerk responses.
tuco

Print view this post

#43  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 28, 2017 7:59 am

Briton wrote:

Any time someone starts off their discussion by saying "I'm not a racist but ...", I start off by assuming that they're a racist. It isn't 100% foolproof - but it seems to be highly effective, and saves me a whole lot of time listening to racist bullshit from racists.

I make no claim that this rule applies to the OP himself - but, as others have noted, there is evident racism in the OP content.

I put the sub-heading in as a joke, precisely because it gets this knee jerk reaction. :clap: for proving the bias is true.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#44  Postby LucidFlight » Feb 28, 2017 8:07 am

"It's just a prank, bro."
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby TopCat » Feb 28, 2017 8:17 am

There was one time I didn't integrate well - I was at school, and my maths teacher told us that you can't integrate ex^2.

So I spent most of a weekend trying, with no success.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 28, 2017 8:23 am

LucidFlight wrote:"It's just a prank, bro."

Does racism matter until you start declaring that one 'race' is inferior? What about declaring that members of one 'race' are 'oppressors'? I don't integrate well with people who are racist, but I also don't care what ethnicity they claim.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#47  Postby KeenIdiot » Feb 28, 2017 8:29 am

LucidFlight wrote:"It's just a prank, bro."

It was satire.
KeenIdiot

Name: Mike
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby VazScep » Feb 28, 2017 9:15 am

Keep It Real wrote:
Briton wrote:

I put the sub-heading in as a joke, precisely because it gets this knee jerk reaction. :clap: for proving the bias is true.
I am so deeply and thoroughly ashamed.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby LucidFlight » Feb 28, 2017 9:28 am

Dude, it's just a prank... I mean, satire, bro.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 28, 2017 9:28 am

felltoearth wrote:I'm actually trying to figure out the whole point of this thread. Why is racial integration important to you KIR?

I don't like walking down the street and thinking "he/she would rather not mix with me, and if I'm brutally honest, I'd rather not mix with them" in my own country. It's divisive, unpleasant and antisocial.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#51  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 28, 2017 9:44 am

felltoearth wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:There's no socio-economic incentive for a brit to move to france or germany.

All the black youths in the warehouse I spoke to spoke perfect english, with no accent. They were overwhelmingly born and raised in England. The warehouse incident isn't my only experience of English white/black segregation. There are several "black" pubs in bristol and gloucester I'm aware of too, frequented almost exclusively by black, english people. Black people like going there; other ethnicities don't. Most pubs are white pubs; where the opposite is true.

And what does this have to do with the price of fish?

Combined with the article you posted, it shows that race/skin colour is a barrier to social integration/mixing, as well as language, culture, religion and nationality.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#52  Postby Macdoc » Feb 28, 2017 9:49 am

Why do you assume assimilation is a worthy goal?
I prefer to live in a mosaic and I do.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Corneel » Feb 28, 2017 10:35 am

They certainly integrate better than the British did in India or Africa.
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Mazille » Feb 28, 2017 10:55 am

Keep It Real wrote:
felltoearth wrote:I'm actually trying to figure out the whole point of this thread. Why is racial integration important to you KIR?

I don't like walking down the street and thinking "he/she would rather not mix with me, and if I'm brutally honest, I'd rather not mix with them" in my own country. It's divisive, unpleasant and antisocial.

It's theirs as much as it is yours.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Feb 28, 2017 11:01 am

There are lots of white people who don't want to mix with other white people in the UK too. It's just easier to see people who don't want to mix with you when they belong to an isolated community of people who are an ethnic minority.

I want people to integrate to the extent we can communicate effectively for safety reasons. I never want someone to show up in the ER and not be able to effectively communicate what's the matter because they belong to a linguistic minority.

Beyond that, I encourage people to be as isolated or as iterated as they wish. Fuck knows I don't want to interact with most people. I just never get accused of not integrating into society properly because I'm white.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 28, 2017 11:16 am

Macdoc wrote:Why do you assume assimilation is a worthy goal?

I think it's generally an impossible goal in the uk for different races and non-native whites, as evinced by the fact they don't integrate well in general. I think we should give up on multiculturalism, prevent further ethnically disparate immigration and encourage other races and ethnicities to move to the places where they fit in (ie. other countries). Some should remain, ideally, imo, but there are far too many and there are more and more every day.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#57  Postby Fallible » Feb 28, 2017 11:52 am

Mazille wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

It's theirs as much as it is yours.

Quite. It's this 'in my own country' stuff that causes a lot of the problems in my view. You were just born here, that's all. I wasn't. Is it not my own country? Or does the fact that I'm white and now have a 'native' accent make it my own country the way that it isn't the country of someone brown? You don't have ownership of this place. As far as I'm concerned anyone can come here and once they're here it's as much theirs as anyone else's. We have an Indian family living opposite. I'd rather mix with them than the white woman who used to live next door-but-one and told me she would never sell her house to 'Pakis'.

If you don't like walking down the street thinking those things, stop making assumptions about other people, and/or excessively focusing on who you'd rather mix with. I mean, we could go on like this all day. I'd rather not mix with Christians. I'd rather not mix with UKIP supporters. I'd rather not mix with people who find 'celebrity' culture entertaining. I'd rather not mix with people who enjoy watching TOWIE or Coronation Street because they see it as the pinnacle of intellectualism. I'd rather not mix with people who constantly talk about their children. I'd rather not mix with petrol heads...
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Fallible » Feb 28, 2017 11:54 am

Keep It Real wrote:

I think it's generally an impossible goal in the uk for different races and non-native whites, as evinced by the fact they don't integrate well in general. I think we should give up on multiculturalism, prevent further ethnically disparate immigration and encourage other races and ethnicities to move to the places where they fit in (ie. other countries). Some should remain, ideally, imo, but there are far too many and there are more and more every day.

Define 'far too many'. Then perhaps consider what you mean by 'non-native whites' and how far back in time it's comfortable for you to go with that.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Sendraks » Feb 28, 2017 12:06 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I think it's generally an impossible goal in the uk for different races and non-native whites, as evinced by the fact they don't integrate well in general.

Is that a problem generated by them or by the UK white population being shit at helping people to integrate?

Keep It Real wrote: I think we should give up on multiculturalism, prevent further ethnically disparate immigration and encourage other races and ethnicities to move to the places where they fit in (ie. other countries).

Why? What is the problem that you are trying to solve here?

Keep It Real wrote: but there are far too many and there are more and more every day.

Are there "too many"? How do you know this?
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#60  Postby Spinozasgalt » Feb 28, 2017 12:09 pm

Keep It Real wrote:

So, you want like a "white ethnostate"? And you want to achieve it through "peaceful ethnic cleansing"?
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Sociology