Five Year Old Boy Opts to Become a Girl

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Five Year Old Boy Opts to Become a Girl

#21  Postby OlivierK » Nov 27, 2012 7:24 am

Mick wrote:lol. Eradicate the foundations of society (the family, marriage, gender roles, God, etc.) and you get this shit. awesome.

Yes, eradicate long-standing societal discrimination against sexual gender minorities, and you get people able to express themselves without fear, at any age.

I really do think that's awesome.

What exactly do you think is "shit" here? The fact that gender disphoria exists, or the fact that someone with gender disphoria is accepted and not subject to hate?
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Jacquitoo » Feb 12, 2013 8:39 am

I met a few transexuals when I was young and know they lead a tough life on the fringes....like I did .... the major issue seems to be "being comfortable in one's skin" ... and what steps are necessary to achieve that if it is not possible to take it for granted like many people do who adopt mainstream roles ...
being half Dutch I am a little aware of some of the flaws in our so-called progressive and tolerant approach to social issues ... I was glad to read that puberty blockers came in at 16 and surgery at 18 ... and that there was attention and counselling available... but I was sad to hear the ages had been reduced ... 18 as the age of adulthood is a little arbitrary I grant ... but it is a safeguard to protect from mistakes in decision making of life long consequence ...dare I say ... some of the cross gender identification issues can be brought about a little as in play and self-fulfilling prophecies ...

childhood needs to be a time to play and experiment not nip and tuck and drug
"What if Absence calls - and a voice answers - in the accent of home"

from Times Power by Adrienne Rich ... I also like Wilfred Owen's war poems
Jacquitoo

Name: pink and purple
Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 12, 2013 8:44 am

Mick wrote:lol. Eradicate the foundations of society (the family, marriage, gender roles, God, etc.) and you get this shit. awesome.

What

the

fuck

?

:crazy:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#24  Postby katja z » Feb 12, 2013 9:10 am

:this:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#25  Postby sennekuyl » Feb 12, 2013 10:26 am

ED209 wrote:
Ironclad wrote:
Kind of speechless here, isn't this just a case of 'dressing-up' playtime, overacted on by adults? Or... :think:

They've certainly pinkified the absolute shit of his/her bedroom. Do five-year-olds really have such overpowering concepts of gender, let alone gender-based senses of personal identity?

And yeah, why would he try to cut off his penis - surely he wouldn't even know what function it has at that age. Just that he likes playing with 'my little pony' or whatever it is that would conclusively unarguably and irreversibly identify him as a five-year-old girl*.

*not really, obviously

Consulting a professional is a given in this case.

I've come to the opposite conclusion based on the age. Is it so hard to imagine a child being told that boys have a penis and girls a vagina? If a child then repeatedly keeps trying to get rid of their penis over a reasonable period of time then maybe there is something to their distress. Consistent distress over a period of time months suggest that this idea is truly important to them.

Sure I might try changing their viewing habits of the various media around my house and other measures to change things up.
Defining Australians:
When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs – just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Scarlett » Feb 12, 2013 10:49 am

I know!

Let's go back to the good ol' days where people just did their best to ignore icky problems like gender dysmorphia and homosexuality and lived miserable lives pretending they were something they weren't for fear of persecution.

Great idea! :nono:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 12, 2013 11:46 am

Paula wrote:I know!

Let's go back to the good ol' days where people just did their best to ignore icky problems like gender dysmorphia and homosexuality and lived miserable lives pretending they were something they weren't for fear of persecution.

Great idea! :nono:

Dont mention it! That is my life story.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Scarlett » Feb 12, 2013 12:40 pm

Such a shame Scot, and such a waste. I think possibly worse than the persecution is the shame the majority must have been made to feel.

It's taken a long time changing and we're not there yet but I don't understand how anyone would opt for the old ways.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Bribase » Feb 12, 2013 1:36 pm

Another one of those toothless concerns you get from traditionalists. It's akin to those that oppose gay marriage because societies that are inclusive of homosexuals are bad in and of themselves. No reason to cite why it's detrimental to the general public or the individual, why things ought to stay the way they are. It's an argument fuelled by the fear of change after all.

Mick, if this is "shit", why is it "shit"? In what way is this a negative consequence of changing attitudes towards family, gender and marriage? What makes this a bad outcome of societal change beyond a fallacious appeal to antiquity or nature?
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby Imagination Theory » Feb 14, 2013 3:30 am

Bribase wrote:

Another one of those toothless concerns you get from traditionalists. It's akin to those that oppose gay marriage because societies that are inclusive of homosexuals are bad in and of themselves. No reason to cite why it's detrimental to the general public or the individual, why things ought to stay the way they are. It's an argument fuelled by the fear of change after all.

Mick, if this is "shit", why is it "shit"? In what way is this a negative consequence of changing attitudes towards family, gender and marriage? What makes this a bad outcome of societal change beyond a fallacious appeal to antiquity or nature?

That's what I was going to ask Mick too, why is it shit?
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)