Gender stereotyping through Xmas gifts

Gender Stereotyping

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Gender stereotyping through Xmas gifts

#21  Postby Sendraks » Dec 05, 2014 11:35 am

Evolving wrote:Like "Lego friends". Yes.

Yup, that's them!
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Evolving » Dec 05, 2014 11:41 am

I'm torn with regard to Lego friends, though. I totally get the attraction. As I do with Barbie mermaids, MagiClip Tiana and Belle and all the rest of them.

It ought to be a bit more balanced, that's all I can say. It's too either-or at the moment.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Sendraks » Dec 05, 2014 11:47 am

"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#24  Postby OlivierK » Dec 05, 2014 8:52 pm

http://www.naracoorteherald.com.au/stor ... mon-sense/
IN the December 2 Herald Sun article on No Gender December, Greens Senator Larissa Waters is calling for a rethinking of the way toys are marketed at boys and girls - no pink for girls, no blue aisles for boys.

She makes an enormous quantum leap in the imagination and links this type of marketing to "domestic violence, bigger gender pay gaps and inequality."

The link, however, is not mentioned, nor are the benefits of removing "gender biased" toy marketing.

I am of the opinion that domestic violence and inequality are caused by societal values and wrong ideas about gender roles being ingrained into children from as young as 5, not from toy store marketing.

Opinions about women, treating the opposite gender well and respecting your marriage partner are also first modelled in the home.

Media and politicians skew the God given roles of men and women by creating their own roles and ideas about them and create societal issues through enforcing negative and dangerous ideas about sexuality and identity to sponge-like young minds.

The notion that toy stores are contributing to domestic violence and inequality by placing pink toys in the hands of girls is akin to conspiracy theories about Roswell.

Michael Carr-Gregg rightly labels this imaginative problem as a "nail in the coffin of common sense," as the No Gender December campaign would rightly produce the said results - No Gender!

The sexualisation of children is already an issue amongst young children, and heaping the problem of gender confusion and promoting "no gender" marketing would compound an already broken childhood for many of our most innocent in society.

Let's fix the problems we've already created with the sexual revolution of the 1960s before galloping towards forcing children to choose their own gender through the lens of a Greens government and a relentless homosexual agenda.

LUKE GODDARD, Reedy Creek.

:lol: :crazy:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#25  Postby TMB » Dec 05, 2014 10:25 pm

Sendraks wrote:

Which would be what? Not having toys designed with an obvious gender bias (pink for girls, blue for boys at the most primitive level) gives greater freedom for children to choose what they want to play with reduced risk of discrimination. Some companies, Playmobil is a good example, have been doing sterling work at producing gender neutral toys for years. So did Lego until recently, when they decided to rebrand some of their products to be more "girly."

It depends upon how deep you are capable of thinking. The entire institution of Xmas in our society is one of indoctrination and most people are culpable of this. The idea that anyone is making free willed choice is naive. Even the idea that we are freewilled, autonomous individuals is just a social sell. Gender indoctrination is immense, from the cosmetic, clothing, soap opera, magazine etc cultures that exist, as I said the senator herself is stereotypically female in the way she works to project herself. Why doesnt she lead by personal example?

Sendraks wrote:The whole point of this idea is that whatever a child decides to play with, it is just "a toy" and not "a girls toy" or "a boys toy." The very opposite of the indoctrination that exists at present.

It is a whole social institution that gets parents and kids alike to invest in what is mostly commercial junk, simply because Xmas means people suspend their already limited critical faculties to become shopping sheep.

Sendraks wrote:However, as ever, you are unable to view this material in anyway other than through the distorted lens of bashing feminism

Aside from your habit of quote mining and inability to read or understand subtle points in peoples posts, you are inflaming the discussion using words like 'bashing'. If your arguments were sound there would be no need to put words in my mouth like you are doing here.
Case in point.

Sendraks wrote:Classic sexist behaviour. Focusing on what the women is wearing rather than the message. You're basically saying that the senator shouldn't be able to wear clothing that she likes and feels comfortable in. If she'd been wearing jeans and a lumberjack shirt while delivering the message, it wouldn't have made the message any more credible.

Of course she is comfortable with what she is wearing, indoctrination is mostly invisible and comfortable process to most people, to the point she thinks she is making personal choices instead of just complying to social norms and stereotypes. Most boys and girls feel the same way about toys they usually get. The fact we wear clothes at all is stereotyping and something we comply to without giving it any thought. Do not imagine I am advocating nudity because I am not, just pointing out basic human psychology.
Sendraks wrote:
Stereotypes are bad. Ok.

Stereotypes are neither good nor bad as they have no moral content. People make judgements on what they consider good or bad and stereotypes are what we all mostly conform to and judging them is just another facet of how we comply to social and peer pressure. Welcome to the flock
Sendraks wrote:Getting rid of them is good. Ok.

If this is your opinion, do not assume there is some sort of absolute process operating here. Our tendency to identify with and form groups and build consequent stereotypes is part of the human DNA just as it is to judge and be irrational. But its OK we are all on a forum with 'rational' in the title so we can pretend we do this.
TMB

Print view this post

#26  Postby james1v » Dec 06, 2014 2:20 am

"What kind of lad, wants a functioning kitchen for their birthday, or Christmas?" "A lucky boy" Principal Skinner, The Simpsons.
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby laklak » Dec 06, 2014 2:27 am

I'm getting one of these for both my girls, plus 500 rounds of hollow point 9mm. Unfortunately they don't make them in Barbie Pink, so I settled on matte green.

Am I being sexist?

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby TMB » Dec 07, 2014 12:34 am

Fallible wrote:The whole 'oo she's in a dress and wearing makeup, soooo ironic that she's going on about toys not being gender specific' is a big load of nonsense, nothing more than a textbook ad hominem. If someone imprisoned for some crime spoke of the importance of kids not treading the same path and instead obeying the law, or an obese person spoke of the importance of eating healthily, or a married man bemoaned the lot of married men (I've seen that happen from time to time around here), would that be considered ironic? It's the whole point, isn't it, that children get channelled into specific roles early on which informs how they choose toys, clothing, careers. There's absolutely no reason why one cannot speak from within this environment about the environment itself. It's just a particularly pathetic case of picking the low hanging fruit to go for the woman's appearance.

Hypocrisy.
TMB

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Sociology