Partners at the birth of a child...

...yes or no?

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Partners at the birth of a child...

#21  Postby The_Piper » Feb 12, 2014 10:52 am

If I were in the frighteningly important position of being an expecting father, I'd want to be there to see "super adorable new little buddy" into the world. I'm not expecting that anytime soon.
And to quote the great George Costanza yet again, "I'd have to have a date first". :mrgreen:

As far as attending funerals and wakes, I don't like it one bit. The human interaction in that setting. I'm a wuss.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby trubble76 » Feb 12, 2014 10:54 am

I think I'm more of the "handing out cigars down the pub" kind of guy but realistically, I'd just do whatever the unfortunate young lady required me to do.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Agrippina » Feb 12, 2014 10:58 am

trubble76 wrote:I think I'm more of the "handing out cigars down the pub" kind of guy but realistically, I'd just do whatever the unfortunate young lady required me to do.

When I've asked this question of other older people, they all say no. They weren't there to see their kids born and they didn't participate in pyjama parades and nappy changing either. My kids seem to have been happy to do both: be at the births of their kids and do all the caring that was usually only the mother's job.
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Fallible » Feb 12, 2014 11:01 am

Changing times, perhaps. I know there will still be fathers who don't do the baby stuff, but the contrast between my dad who was not there at the births of my sister or me and never changed a nappy, and my husband who (after the baby was solely reliant on me for milk) matched me in everything - feeding, nappies, night feeds, the lot - couldn't be more stark.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby The_Piper » Feb 12, 2014 11:07 am

Feeding, ok, but nobody said anything about diapers. :tongue:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Agrippina » Feb 12, 2014 11:09 am

Fallible, I know what you mean. My mother would be rattled to know that my kids watched their kids being born, and that my eldest took a year off to look after his eldest, while his wife went back to work. "Not men's work," she would say. :roll:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Fallible » Feb 12, 2014 11:16 am

Ah well things move on, eh. I remember stand up arguments as a teenager with my dad when I asked why he did nothing around the home. Apparently it's ''women's work''. But even in those days I was aware of other men helping out.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Varangian » Feb 12, 2014 11:31 am

I was there when my kids were born. It was a no-brainer, and the feeling when you hold your child, just new to the World, can't be beaten. Also, one would be a tool not being there offering what support one can give.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#29  Postby zulumoose » Feb 12, 2014 11:43 am

I am very squeamish, so bad that the first time I tried to donate blood, at university, the nurses spotted me in the line and rushed me off to sit down and have a drink, they knew before I did that I was about to faint, yet I hadn't even got to within sight of anyone actually donating yet.

Same thing at ante-natal classes, the midwife walked off to the kitchen during a video of various childbirths and returned with a glass of water, walking straight up to me with it, in a room of maybe 20 people. This time it wasn't the blood, it was a water-birth where the baby headed straight for the surface and they PUSHED it back down again, not letting it get a breath.

When my wife donates blood, I go with her and the nurses raise my legs and give me the tea and biscuits.

Yet I managed to be with my wife through 3 caesarians, and I was of some use at least because I had to draw the anaesthetists attention once to the fact that my wifes face was going blue, he was too busy chatting to the other people in the room.

It is a scary thing to do with strangers, a partner of some sort must be there or it can be a nightmare.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Scar » Feb 12, 2014 11:47 am

Just a funny anecdote:

My father was drinking coffee during my birth and at some point fell asleep.
He's rather not squeamish ;)
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Varangian » Feb 12, 2014 1:02 pm

A friend of mine is capable of fainting at the sight of his own blood, yet he was present at the births of his children without incidents.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Agrippina » Feb 12, 2014 1:58 pm

Fallible wrote:Ah well things move on, eh. I remember stand up arguments as a teenager with my dad when I asked why he did nothing around the home. Apparently it's ''women's work''. But even in those days I was aware of other men helping out.

I still can't get the man to help in the house - not with actual housework. He'll do shopping, empty trash, and take the recycling to the depot, but that's about it. I've tried to teach him to cook but it's just not worth the effort. So he'll go off to buy takeaways or frozen food if I can't cook. He won't do anything else though.

My kids are different. They'll do everything in the house, even the ironing. My DH, he'll take his stuff to the laundry if he didn't have me to do it, or he'd hire someone to come in to do it.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Feb 12, 2014 2:03 pm

My partner has said he intends to offer to help deliver our baby. He's a doctor so on the one hand he's good help but I got pretty shitty with him, telling him his job is to support me and there's another physician and nurses doing the rest so he better not forget to hold my hand.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Agrippina » Feb 12, 2014 2:05 pm

:grin:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#35  Postby DoctorE » Feb 12, 2014 2:10 pm

I was there both times.. wouldn't want to miss it!!
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Reeve » Feb 12, 2014 3:02 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:My partner has said he intends to offer to help deliver our baby. He's a doctor so on the one hand he's good help but I got pretty shitty with him, telling him his job is to support me and there's another physician and nurses doing the rest so he better not forget to hold my hand.

I hope the poor bastard is at least getting paid... :mrgreen:
Cito wrote:Reeve is a daily reality for girls. I don't know what this implies.

archibald wrote:I don't take Reeve seriously. I don't think he takes himself seriously.
Reeve

Male

Print view this post

#37  Postby laklak » Feb 12, 2014 3:46 pm

I tried to be a the first one, but it ended up a Cesarian and I wasn't invited in. The second was Cesarian by choice and I went to the pub for a quick one. Easy Peasy, I don't see what all the fuss is about.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#38  Postby scott1328 » Feb 12, 2014 3:55 pm

My father was not there at the birth of either my older sisters, or mine. He was also mostly not there for the parenting also. As it turns out, my father was not present at the conception of my younger brother. Or so he alleged in the divorce papers
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#39  Postby james1v » Feb 12, 2014 6:29 pm

The missus didnt want me there, both born in the summer, so i caught a little sun whilst waiting.
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Macdoc » Feb 12, 2014 6:44 pm

I think it's up to the birth mother but I really treasure my daughter's C section birth.

She was lifted out still asleep and they put her in my arms - and her eyes opened for a bit - seemed to look at me then went back to sleep. Embedded forever. :cheers:

Son's birth the "natural way"....I got food poisoning from the hospital sandwich dispenser and he was a wailer....not the best of times.v :yuk:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Sociology