People have inbuilt "gaydar"

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: People have inbuilt "gaydar"

#61  Postby Scar » Jun 05, 2012 10:42 am

I'm rather sure that were I to present to you me and a bunch of other specific gay dudes I know mixed with some straight guys, you lot would not be able to tell who is gay and who isn't.

Gaydar is nonsense. Some people behave in a more stereotypically gay manner and are thus easily spotted, that's all.
(I also know a few straight guys who most think are gay due to their behavior)
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Kenaz » Jun 05, 2012 1:23 pm

Scar-

Agreed from my direct experience with friends of mine who are gay. While the stereotypes may very well fit sometimes, many times they do not and vise versa with people who are straight who' do not fit the 'stereotype' for their 'title.'

Words are beautiful, but they are a metaphor for reality.
Question marks may be at the end of sentences; but in life they are the introduction.
Kenaz
RS Donator

Print view this post

#63  Postby Scar » Jun 05, 2012 1:34 pm

Additionally, I, being a gay guy, have failed to correctly identify people's sexuality on numerous occasions - which could at times result in rather awkward situations.
Scar

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Kenaz » Jun 05, 2012 2:06 pm

Right there with you. :P
Question marks may be at the end of sentences; but in life they are the introduction.
Kenaz
RS Donator

Print view this post

#65  Postby Thommo » Jun 05, 2012 3:03 pm

Scar wrote:I'm rather sure that were I to present to you me and a bunch of other specific gay dudes I know mixed with some straight guys, you lot would not be able to tell who is gay and who isn't.

Gaydar is nonsense. Some people behave in a more stereotypically gay manner and are thus easily spotted, that's all.

The experimental technique they used probably wouldn't rule this out entirely, they took still photos from facebook, then cropped the hair and ears and displayed them for a small fraction of a second (50ms I think). I suppose there could be residual indicators of expressions, mannerisms, style of photograph and maybe an element of body language (though I think only part of the neck would be visible).

The other possibility would appear to be as John PM suggested on p1, that there is a small statistical bias in some physical feature or combination of features. E.g. jaw width, which is one way of quickly telling between a man's face and a woman's (note that this is purely illustrative, I have no reason to believe at this point that gay men do have wider or narrower jaws).
Thommo

Print view this post

#66  Postby laklak » Jun 05, 2012 3:05 pm

Honestly, who would know?

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Scarlett » Jun 05, 2012 3:50 pm

Gay men often have the best dressed, best groomed, fittest bodies in real life situations but I don't think I could tell from a photo. Maybe it is a generational thing.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby Scar » Jun 06, 2012 8:37 am

Paula wrote:Gay men often have the best dressed, best groomed, fittest bodies in real life situations but I don't think I could tell from a photo. Maybe it is a generational thing.

That's also just a stereotype (in the sense that you most likely only every actively recognize these guys). If you've ever spend any time on a gay dating site, you will know the sad truth ;)
Scar

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Scarlett » Jun 06, 2012 10:24 am

Scar wrote:
Paula wrote:Gay men often have the best dressed, best groomed, fittest bodies in real life situations but I don't think I could tell from a photo. Maybe it is a generational thing.

That's also just a stereotype (in the sense that you most likely only every actively recognize these guys). If you've ever spend any time on a gay dating site, you will know the sad truth ;)

I was at gay pride in Dublin a couple of years ago, there were a LOT of very fit guys there, I noticed with regret ;) . I have mobile footage. I'd still argue that gay men are a bit more likely to look after themselves than straight guys. This is of course just my own observation, I'm not in the scene too much.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jun 06, 2012 11:15 am

JWG wrote:I have seen a snippet in Scientific American - Mind that mentioned that homosexual people can tell of other people's homosexuality through their smell, allowing people to find others who are attracted to each other. Sounds a bit far fetched and I didn't see any evidence or study behind it as it was a little snippet.

Has anyone else heard of this or have a arrow to point to some credible evidence supporting this claim? I'd love to hone it. :P

I haven't read through this study yet, but it sounds like they looked at what you're asking about: Preference for Human Body Odors Is Influenced by Gender and Sexual Orientation.

Scar wrote:I'm rather sure that were I to present to you me and a bunch of other specific gay dudes I know mixed with some straight guys, you lot would not be able to tell who is gay and who isn't.

Potentially that's what the difference is. A few outliers gives us a positive score - so whilst the majority of gay people may dress, pose, groom themselves, etc, in identical ways to straight people, it may be the case that the "obvious" and flamboyant ones are the ones that skew the results so that it indicates that something like a "gaydar" is possible. I think most studies do try to minimise such effects, like using black and white photos, cutting out the hair and ears, etc, but some 'clues' will get through, which (in this specific case) isn't helped by using self-selected Facebook photos.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#71  Postby Kenaz » Jun 06, 2012 11:51 am

Samsa-

Thank you for the link, I will check it out.

Mr.Samsa wrote:I think most studies do try to minimise such effects, like using black and white photos, cutting out the hair and ears, etc, but some 'clues' will get through, which (in this specific case) isn't helped by using self-selected Facebook photos.

Hopefully this includes their eyebrows, a tell-tale sign for many as well. :mrgreen:
Kenaz
RS Donator

Print view this post

#72  Postby Thommo » Jun 06, 2012 2:09 pm

JWG wrote:Hopefully this includes their eyebrows, a tell-tale sign for many as well. :mrgreen:

Really? How does that work - are gay men likely to pluck them or something? :scratch:
Thommo

Print view this post

#73  Postby Scar » Jun 06, 2012 2:22 pm

Thommo wrote:
JWG wrote:Hopefully this includes their eyebrows, a tell-tale sign for many as well. :mrgreen:

Really? How does that work - are gay men likely to pluck them or something? :scratch:

Supposedly.
Scar

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Kenaz » Jun 06, 2012 2:27 pm

It was more sarcasm than anything. I know me and my gay friends always joke about someone being gay, and our tell-tale sign usually ends up being, "look at his eyebrows!" :P
Kenaz
RS Donator

Print view this post

#75  Postby Kenaz » Jun 06, 2012 2:33 pm

Mr.Samsa wrote:
JWG wrote:I have seen a snippet in Scientific American - Mind that mentioned that homosexual people can tell of other people's homosexuality through their smell, allowing people to find others who are attracted to each other. Sounds a bit far fetched and I didn't see any evidence or study behind it as it was a little snippet.

Has anyone else heard of this or have a arrow to point to some credible evidence supporting this claim? I'd love to hone it. :P

I haven't read through this study yet, but it sounds like they looked at what you're asking about: Preference for Human Body Odors Is Influenced by Gender and Sexual Orientation.

I just finished reading through the study (via EBSCO) and the results of the study have shown that it would appear homosexual males preferred beyond a statistical chance that they can determine accurately other gay males through pheromones. Heterosexual males and heterosexual and lesbian females both preferred the homosexual male's pheromone the least. It indicated that we can in fact identify 'sub-groups' of people through our smell of pheromones.

Interesting to me. :cheers:
Kenaz
RS Donator

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby Thommo » Jun 06, 2012 2:38 pm

JWG wrote:It was more sarcasm than anything. I know me and my gay friends always joke about someone being gay, and our tell-tale sign usually ends up being, "look at his eyebrows!" :P

Oh right! :lol:
Thommo

Print view this post

#77  Postby Scar » Jun 06, 2012 2:52 pm

Well.. I do pluck my eyebrows (a little) xD
Scar

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#78  Postby Scarlett » Jun 06, 2012 3:33 pm

Scar wrote:Well.. I do pluck my eyebrows (a little) xD

:lol: See! If I even mention tweezing my SO he tells me to piss off and take my tweezers with me :roll:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 25, 2012 1:42 pm

:this:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#80  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Scar wrote:Well.. I do pluck my eyebrows (a little) xD

Yeah. Wait until you're about twice as old as you are now. Look to your ears and nose.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I pull hairs out of my nose that feel like they start in my goddamned brain sometimes. Makes my eyes water so bad, I can't see to continue. Hairs on your ear are like fucking wire to pull out.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Sociology