People have inbuilt "gaydar"

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: People have inbuilt "gaydar"

#81  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 25, 2012 1:56 pm

Thing is with that gaydar business, it's wrong about half the time. More importantly, since I make no decisions about how I interact with strangers based on the gayness, I suppose I don't even bother.

The CNN anchor Anderson Cooper that said he was gay? I had no idea. Sally Ride? The same. Didn't know, didn't care. Still don't. But, I have to say, Cooper always has a perfect haircut. Fucking perfect.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby Animavore » Jul 25, 2012 2:05 pm

CookieJon wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Bathynomus Giganteus wrote:Umm, ok.......This is an ability I seem lack.

You really lack this?

I can usually tell a gay straight away.

Perhaps, but can you tell a straight straight away?

Obviously not :lol:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Scarlett » Jul 25, 2012 3:54 pm

I have no gaydar whatsoever.

We met a couple of young women on holiday and went out with them one night to watch one of the Euro matches, with some others too. As we were sitting chatting I asked if they had left boyfriends at home to have their girly holiday. Everyone just looked at me, my SO raised his brows at me, one of the women just looked at me, tilted her head to one side and said no.

Then it dawned on me they were a couple and for some reason I was the only one that hadn't noticed. We were in hysterics after that. Either I'm completely unaware of everything going on around me or I really couldn't give a shit who's having sex with who so no flags went up in my subconscious. :dunno:

Lovely lassies, we've kept in touch and I plan to visit Canal Street in Manc asap :grin:
Last edited by Scarlett on Jul 25, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Fallible » Jul 25, 2012 4:00 pm

For me I tend to just not care. I don't understand why it's such a hot topic for some people.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#85  Postby cupper3 » Jul 26, 2012 12:21 am

We have some gays in our extended family, and I pretty well knew before I was told. Gaydar? Yeah, I think I have it pretty much. Is it 100%? Of course not. One doesn't need to be anti-gay to have it.
cupper3

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 26, 2012 9:13 am

Fallible wrote:For me I tend to just not care. I don't understand why it's such a hot topic for some people.

Because in the convoluted minds of some homophobes it goes like this: being is recognisable by physical behaviour = being gay is purely an act and therefore a choice.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Fallible » Jul 26, 2012 9:25 am

Yeah, but I'm talking about all the gossip that comes about when someone is 'revealed' to be gay. It's not just homophobes who engage in it - 'normal' people swarm all over it. It gets in the newspapers - 'so-and-so - ''I'm gay"'. Or the endless speculation about whether someone is or is not gay. Even the gaydar stuff is weird to me - no one crows about how they can successfully determine just by looking at someone whether they have some other characteristic or not. I suppose in times and places where people are/were scared to reveal their sexuality by approaching the object of their affections/attraction it was/is handy to be able to know whether you're going to be smiled at or kicked in the teeth, but apart from that I just don't get what the big bruhaha is all about.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby CookieJon » Jul 26, 2012 12:15 pm

Fallible wrote:I just don't get what the big bruhaha is all about.

Simply titillation.

I think you're overthinking it.
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#89  Postby Fallible » Jul 26, 2012 9:38 pm

Fair enough.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 27, 2012 7:18 am

Fallible wrote:Yeah, but I'm talking about all the gossip that comes about when someone is 'revealed' to be gay. It's not just homophobes who engage in it - 'normal' people swarm all over it. It gets in the newspapers - 'so-and-so - ''I'm gay"'. Or the endless speculation about whether someone is or is not gay. Even the gaydar stuff is weird to me - no one crows about how they can successfully determine just by looking at someone whether they have some other characteristic or not. I suppose in times and places where people are/were scared to reveal their sexuality by approaching the object of their affections/attraction it was/is handy to be able to know whether you're going to be smiled at or kicked in the teeth, but apart from that I just don't get what the big bruhaha is all about.

Because LGBT is in right now, especially among people between 20-40. It's cool to be pro-LGBT, to have gay best friends etc.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Fallible » Jul 28, 2012 10:59 am

Oh, right. :dunno:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Jacquitoo » Feb 12, 2013 8:44 am

Animavore wrote:
Bathynomus Giganteus wrote:Umm, ok.......This is an ability I seem lack.

You really lack this?

I can usually tell a gay straight away.

Is the gay bent or is the straight happy or a bit of both?
"What if Absence calls - and a voice answers - in the accent of home"

from Times Power by Adrienne Rich ... I also like Wilfred Owen's war poems
Jacquitoo

Name: pink and purple
Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Jacquitoo » Feb 12, 2013 8:57 am

Fallible wrote:Yeah, but I'm talking about all the gossip that comes about when someone is 'revealed' to be gay. It's not just homophobes who engage in it - 'normal' people swarm all over it. It gets in the newspapers - 'so-and-so - ''I'm gay"'. Or the endless speculation about whether someone is or is not gay. Even the gaydar stuff is weird to me - no one crows about how they can successfully determine just by looking at someone whether they have some other characteristic or not. I suppose in times and places where people are/were scared to reveal their sexuality by approaching the object of their affections/attraction it was/is handy to be able to know whether you're going to be smiled at or kicked in the teeth, but apart from that I just don't get what the big bruhaha is all about.

the crowing about having gaydar is a bit of a moot point with me ... its supposed to mean that they know something you dont and are extra psychic or sensitive etc ... but often it is just BS ... thats what I figured after heaps of birds whispered in my ear about someone or other ... and were often wrong ... lol ...whatever ... I believe we all have the capacity to be bi - sexual and that it is choices and experiences that determine feelings but that is just me ... I might be just showing my age ... but not all old dears are conservative
"What if Absence calls - and a voice answers - in the accent of home"

from Times Power by Adrienne Rich ... I also like Wilfred Owen's war poems
Jacquitoo

Name: pink and purple
Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Sociology