Personal characteristics and lying: An experimental investig

Wait, what's the correlation?

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Personal characteristics and lying: An experimental investig

#1  Postby Sovereign » Oct 26, 2013 5:14 pm

A new Canadian study concludes that the people most likely to lie for monetary gain are the children of divorce, business majors, and—perhaps most surprisingly—the religious.

Continued here

Link to study here but it's behind a paywall.

The author of the Huffington Post article hasn't dealt with many Christians in debate it seems.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Personal characteristics and lying: An experimental investig

#2  Postby igorfrankensteen » Dec 29, 2013 5:44 pm

All such studies should be approached cautiously.

That said, it makes sense to me. Even in that short summation report, the author pointed out the "chicken or the egg" concern, i.e. that since they tested COLLEGE STUDENTS, that those who were business majors might have been so, because they were more inclined to put personal gain above all else to begin with; not that majoring in business caused lying and greed.

In addition, the college age itself is problematic in general. It is the time when most people mismeasure themselves. Claims of religiosity or the lack of it should be taken as entirely untrustworthy. As with the business major connection, the fact that someone CLAIMS religious superiority to others would logically lead them to decide as well to reserve money to themselves, and not allow the other to choose. Lying for their own good sort of thinking.

As for why you exclaim that the author hasn't debated many Christians, since it in no way relates to the article, I can only assume this relates to one of your personal delusions.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Personal characteristics and lying: An experimental investig

#3  Postby laklak » Dec 29, 2013 6:02 pm

Like Greg House said, everybody lies.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Return to Sociology