Potential developments in human society

Split from 'Development of psychosis...' thread

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Potential developments in human society

#101  Postby Thommo » May 05, 2018 11:42 pm

Dynalon wrote:
Thommo wrote:But no, I don't feel like picking up where I left off as it's quite apparent that there's no point me continuing our attempt at a discussion.

You didn't really even try though. I would have appreciated it if you (and, for that matter, others) had tried harder and had more sources than:

• Personal incredulity and
  • "But that's science fiction."

I presented neither of those as a source. What actually happened is you derailed my question about mental illness (which was what the thread we were in was about) and bored me to tears by misunderstanding and misrepresenting the same very simple things over and over after I humoured a couple of your questions out of good faith which wasn't reciprocated.

You're clearly just trying to pick a fight (again), which is why you can't even let a simple pun about carry on films made to another poster and having nothing to do with you pass.
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#102  Postby Dynalon » May 05, 2018 11:55 pm

Thommo wrote:
Dynalon wrote:
Thommo wrote:But no, I don't feel like picking up where I left off as it's quite apparent that there's no point me continuing our attempt at a discussion.

You didn't really even try though. I would have appreciated it if you (and, for that matter, others) had tried harder and had more sources than:

• Personal incredulity and
  • "But that's science fiction."

I presented neither of those as a source.

Yes, you did, as with the vacuous comment you made about My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. My posts on the other hand have by and large been full of references to actual sources that support my claims. This is another area where you need improvement.

Thommo wrote:What actually happened is you derailed my question about mental illness

I was talking, among other things, about how people were hostile to me for having been right and having made correct predictions about a social and political event—if you're curious, it was whether the Dakota Access Pipeline would be constructed—and also for having unusual political beliefs. You are now doing what will most likely become more of the same at some point in the future. Do you have some understanding of why people treat me like garbage now? They just can't countenance the "fascist nerd" being right (and, to be quite honest, yeah, a lot of my thinking is pretty fascist). In some sense, this digression into "potential developments in human society" has been entirely germane to your question.

Thommo wrote:(which was what the thread we were in about) and bored me to tears

I don't care if you're bored.

Thommo wrote:by misunderstanding and misrepresenting the same very simple things over

Give examples.

Thommo wrote:and over after I humoured a couple of your questions out of good faith which wasn't reciprocated.

Nothing I said was in bad faith.

Thommo wrote:You're clearly just trying to pick a fight (again), which is why you can't even let a simple pun about carry on films made to another poster and having nothing to do with you pass.

Obviously I know everything about British cinema and can infer the true intent of any quip of that nature without failure.
Dynalon

United States (us)
Print view this post

#103  Postby Thommo » May 05, 2018 11:56 pm

That's deliberately misrepresentative and antagonistic.

I wasn't talking to you with my comments to Cito, and I don't want to.
Thommo

Print view this post

#104  Postby Dynalon » May 06, 2018 12:02 am

Thommo wrote:That's deliberately misrepresentative and antagonistic.

You made a quip that I thought was about me and, unlike some other people, I will admit that I was wrong when I was. What I said just now may be "antagonistic", but it is not "deliberately misrepresentative" (or, even, in my opinion, "misrepresentative").
Dynalon

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The development of psychosis in a schizophrenic

#105  Postby Dynalon » May 06, 2018 12:27 am

I missed this by the way:

Keep It Real wrote:
Dynalon wrote:By what "technological speculations" will such neurotechnology as I have spoken of never come to fruition and why do you believe that any great big military would not desire a hive mind, which would give them such unity as has never been given before to any past military "units"?

There's more than enough military around for now, wouldn't you agree? And all of it sucks donkey cock from a philosophical level.

Well I suppose we could get rid of all militaries while nothing else changes but the outcome of that is not going to be Imagine but really more what you would expect from a fractious, divided ape species no longer deterred from doing certain things by force of arms. Right now, the axiom of si vis pacem, para bellum is every bit as relevant as it was centuries ago.
Dynalon

United States (us)
Print view this post

#106  Postby zoon » May 07, 2018 8:57 am

Dynalon wrote:"Let us now assume, for the sake of argument, that these machines are a genuine possibility, and look at the consequences of constructing them. To do so would of course meet with great opposition, unless we have advanced greatly in religious toleration from the days of Galileo. There would be great opposition from the intellectuals who were afraid of being put out of a job. It is probable though that the intellectuals would be mistaken about this. There would be plenty to do, trying to understand what the machines were trying to say, i.e. in trying to keep one’s intelligence up to the standard set by the machines, for it seems probable that once the machine thinking method had started, it would not take long to outstrip our feeble powers. There would be no question of the machines dying, and they would be able to converse with each other to sharpen their wits. At some stage therefore we should have to expect the machines to take control, in the way that is mentioned in Samuel Butler’s 'Erewhon'."

— Alan Turing, Intelligent Machinery: A Heretical Theory, 1951

But that's science fiction. Erewhon is science fiction. You are taking Erewhon seriously. Very, very seriously. Stop taking science fiction seriously, Alan.

Alan Turing also thought that computers would be able to pass the Turing Test by the year 2000, but in fact it's still easy to tell after a few minutes whether one is talking to a computer or a human. Human brains are almost certainly mechanisms, but they are fantastically complex. Yes, there is already some integration of brains and artificial machinery (e.g.deep-brain stimulation in treatment of Parkinson's Disease), and I expect this will be taken much further in the future if we don't blow ourselves up first, but for the time being, as far as I can tell, nobody's managed to improve on the functioning of a normal human brain as evolution designed it. Are you suggesting this is not the case? I'm not clear what you are saying - are you claiming that a military force using brain implants in its soldiers would be likely to defeat one without, in the present state of technology? Drones and other remote-controlled machines look to me like a better option so far.
zoon

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Sociology