Rise of the naked female warriors

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

#1  Postby kennyc » Mar 21, 2013 9:15 pm

Known for its topless protesters, Femen is a worldwide movement against patriarchy. But are the activists' breasts obscuring the message?

Kira Cochrane
The Guardian, Wednesday 20 March 2013 15.33 EDT

One day last summer, Inna Shevchenko went into a forest outside Kiev, to learn how to use a chainsaw. The lumberjacks who were instructing her couldn't work out why she was so keen. "They thought I was just a crazy blonde," she says, shaking her white curls. "I was acting like: 'Oh really?'" She affects a coy, clueless demeanour. "'That's how you do it? Great!'"

The next day she went to a hilltop overlooking Kiev, and stripped to a pair of red denim shorts, worn with heavy boots, leather gloves, and a mask to protect her eyes. The Pussy Riot verdict was due that day, and in tribute to the Russian punk activists – and to mark her opposition to all religions – Inna proceeded to chop down a 13ft wooden cross that had been there since 2005. Despite her preparations, it wasn't easy. "When I started to cut it, I thought, 'it's not possible to destroy it,'" she says. But after seven minutes it fell, and she posed against the stump for invited journalists. With "Free Riot" scrawled across her bare breasts, she held out her arms to mirror the figure of Christ now lying on the ground.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ma ... protesters

Well, it certainly seems to get attention....not sure if it is effective though...
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Rise of the naked female warriors

#2  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 21, 2013 9:48 pm

It's possible that this form of protest is fairly effective, if delivered with at least an elementary level of care and attention, precisely because there are still enough people around with "dirty pillows" attitudes (bonus points if you spot the film reference) for breasts to be shocking and attention grabbing. The point being that if the world wasn't full of warped attitudes to such matters as human sexuality, women, and preferring mythological fantasies over reality, bare breasts would cease to be shocking.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tuco » Mar 22, 2013 6:14 am

Effective?

Femen's aims are straightforward, broad and radical. A war on patriarchy on three fronts, calling for an end to all religions, dictatorships and the sex industry.

Don Quixotish.

I could not help to notice that there are similarities among the women in this group and its not they are topless. Lack of variation is hmm curious.
tuco

Print view this post

#4  Postby Swed Simon » May 21, 2013 1:18 am

I don't dare to speculate on if their causes would be better off or not without them, they strive for so much and with such varying methods it's hard to generalize. I do think they could polish their rhetoric though to suit their goals better.

1) They should learn to focus their messages a bit, try to limit it to one political question per activity. The fewer questions you focus on, the more clear and thus striking a message will appear.

2) I don't think coming off as ''radical'' is a good idea either, most people don't identify as ''radical'' and will just reject your message. Keep your main message but just act more composed, and people will listen. This is unless we're talking about situations people experiences as urgent crises, where history tells us people are attracted to ''radical'' ideas. Though Femen may experience that the state of things is a political/moral crisis, they should realize most people don't.
Last edited by Swed Simon on May 21, 2013 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swed Simon

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#5  Postby epete » May 21, 2013 1:55 am

Calilasseia wrote:there are still enough people around with "dirty pillows" attitudes (bonus points if you spot the film reference) for breasts to be shocking and attention grabbing.

I feel like grabbing when I see breasts! :shifty:
High rise living is for communists and termites. - laklak
epete
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#6  Postby laklak » May 21, 2013 2:52 am

Occupy Victoria's Secret!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Darwinsbulldog » May 21, 2013 3:20 pm

Calilasseia wrote:It's possible that this form of protest is fairly effective, if delivered with at least an elementary level of care and attention, precisely because there are still enough people around with "dirty pillows" attitudes (bonus points if you spot the film reference) for breasts to be shocking and attention grabbing. The point being that if the world wasn't full of warped attitudes to such matters as human sexuality, women, and preferring mythological fantasies over reality, bare breasts would cease to be shocking.

More a case of 'sticky sheets" :dopey: :lol:
There were also "magic" sheets that never dropped to reveal a bare feminine breast, wheras sheets covering male chests obeyed the laws of gravity with utter fidelity. You know, in that movie period when a married couple in bed together had to keep one foot on the ground in bed scenes-it must have made for many an injury. :grin:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby CdesignProponentsist » May 21, 2013 4:17 pm

I have no idea what they are protesting, nor do I care, and I support them 100%
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Sovereign » May 21, 2013 8:18 pm

I like looking... at the arguments they present. :shifty:
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby OlivierK » May 22, 2013 4:48 am

kennyc wrote:

Known for its topless protesters, Femen is a worldwide movement against patriarchy. But are the activists' breasts obscuring the message?

Kira Cochrane
The Guardian, Wednesday 20 March 2013 15.33 EDT

One day last summer, Inna Shevchenko went into a forest outside Kiev, to learn how to use a chainsaw. The lumberjacks who were instructing her couldn't work out why she was so keen. "They thought I was just a crazy blonde," she says, shaking her white curls. "I was acting like: 'Oh really?'" She affects a coy, clueless demeanour. "'That's how you do it? Great!'"

The next day she went to a hilltop overlooking Kiev, and stripped to a pair of red denim shorts, worn with heavy boots, leather gloves, and a mask to protect her eyes. The Pussy Riot verdict was due that day, and in tribute to the Russian punk activists – and to mark her opposition to all religions – Inna proceeded to chop down a 13ft wooden cross that had been there since 2005. Despite her preparations, it wasn't easy. "When I started to cut it, I thought, 'it's not possible to destroy it,'" she says. But after seven minutes it fell, and she posed against the stump for invited journalists. With "Free Riot" scrawled across her bare breasts, she held out her arms to mirror the figure of Christ now lying on the ground.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ma ... protesters

Well, it certainly seems to get attention....not sure if it is effective though...

Like hell she went and learned how to use a chainsaw. In the photo in the article she's got it completely arse-backwards. No wonder it took seven minutes! :lol: In true punk fashion, she hasn't bother to learn her instrument before playing it.

Competence is a tool of the patriarchy! :mob: :roll:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby epete » May 22, 2013 4:57 am

:tehe:
High rise living is for communists and termites. - laklak
epete
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#12  Postby McNulty » Jan 01, 2014 5:14 am

Femen are an immature bunch of deluded wannabes.

Because, their actions just play into the hands of the patriarchy they claim to oppose.

Pathetic really.
McNulty
Banned Sockpuppet

Zimbabwe (zw)
Print view this post

#13  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 01, 2014 5:32 am

Yes, if only they'd studied Freud they wouldn't be making such fools of themselves.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Imagination Theory » Jan 01, 2014 5:33 am

:lol:
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#15  Postby McNulty » Jan 01, 2014 6:19 am

If they hate the objectification of women so much, then why do they objectify themselves?
McNulty
Banned Sockpuppet

Zimbabwe (zw)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Imagination Theory » Jan 01, 2014 6:41 am

No, no, they are treating themselves as people with breasts. They are not treating themselves like things, just because you are naked or are sexual or are wearing something sexy doesn't you aren't a person. There are people and media and law who treat women and their naked parts as things and if they wear something sexy they are just a sex thing, a play thing, not a person, just an object and that is objectifying them.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#17  Postby McNulty » Jan 01, 2014 6:57 am

That's the idea of wearing sexy clothes though - to make a man want you.

If these girls flash their breasts they are just falling into the same trap.

Hence, these people are silly idealists who think they can change male human nature - just youthful jejeune idealism.
McNulty
Banned Sockpuppet

Zimbabwe (zw)
Print view this post

Return to Sociology