Sexism Against Men -- Does it Exist?

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Sexism Against Men -- Does it Exist?

#1  Postby Forty Two » Jul 23, 2015 3:01 pm

Forty Two

Name: Harcourt Mudd

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Sexism Against Men -- Does it Exist?

#2  Postby Sendraks » Jul 23, 2015 3:06 pm

Yes it does.
Does this somehow mean that the issues which feminism is attempting to tackle are somehow invalidated by the existence of sexism against men?
No.

I say this, taking a wild guess as to what is being discussed, given all I can see is a post with no attempt at content as gifs/image files don't load for me.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Jul 23, 2015 3:13 pm

Yes it does.
In those matriarchal societies in which men are treated as second-class citizens, disproportionately represented in their governments, subject to unequal pay, and judged or disregarded based on their looks.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby felltoearth » Jul 23, 2015 3:16 pm

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby HughMcB » Jul 23, 2015 3:17 pm

Animavore wrote:Yes it does.
In those matriarchal societies in which men are treated as second-class citizens, disproportionately represented in their governments, subject to unequal pay, and judged or disregarded based on their looks.

This would fit the bill. However do such places exist?
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Forty Two » Jul 23, 2015 3:21 pm

The topic is whether sexism against men exists.

Anita Sarkeesian and many feminists like her say no, it does not exist.

Bahar Mustafa, the diversity officer of Goldsmith's University said so, when she defended her actions of barring white males from a conference.

Image http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -sign.html

Bell Hooks, that sort of feminist.
Forty Two

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Sendraks » Jul 23, 2015 3:28 pm

Forty Two wrote:The topic is whether sexism against men exists..

Actually, the topic is "are individual women sexist against men" as opposed to the potential broader application of the topic title which is "does sexism against men existence in the same entrenched cultural way that it exists against other groups."

The answer to the first is yes, as evidenced by the article, although this is an oversimplification (hardly surprising given the link is an article from the Daily Mail, a rag largely read by fuckwits and the ignorant) of Mustafa's position. Although I don't think she's set out her stall very well, the reality is that CIS White Men are unused to having doors closed to them in society. My interpretation of her position is that a) it is hilarious to see the overreaction of MRA types when they are barred from somewhere and b) they make a completely false equivalency that what is happening to men under those circumstances is exactly the same sexism that women experience. Clearly it isn't and they miss the point by a country mile.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 23, 2015 3:32 pm

Forty Two wrote:Image

Sexism is not prejudice and power - that's institutional sexism.

Sexism is just prejudice, and anyone can partake.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 23, 2015 3:33 pm

Forty Two wrote:The topic is whether sexism against men exists.

Anita Sarkeesian and many feminists like her say no, it does not exist.

Well, if Anita Sarkeesian told me the sky was blue, I'd feel obligated to go and check it for myself.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Boyle » Jul 23, 2015 3:44 pm

Yeah, I disagree with Sarkeesian's definition there. It's ridiculous to put shit like that out in the public considering the normal everyday use of the word sexism isn't dependent on it being structural. Sexism is just prejudice. Institutional sexism requires power. Another way to put that is that in order for women to oppress men there must be power and prejudice at the group level. The whole thing of doing that seems like a bait-and-switch. "Sure, I'll use common words and phrases but they come with my specific definition." Oppression fits the bill better, I think.

So, yeah, of course sexism against men exists.
Boyle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby tuco » Jul 23, 2015 3:52 pm

Once a person is in assumed position to have power (whatever it means) such person cannot be subject to ism by definition. We've been over that with Mr.Samsa and racism in the Irish cant be racist? thread.

I am just glad this person, Anita Sarkeesian, does not frequent local media. Though there are some influences already.

It is for fact that there is discrimination against men in society so she can troll someone else but me.
Last edited by tuco on Jul 23, 2015 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuco

Print view this post

#12  Postby laklak » Jul 23, 2015 3:58 pm

I wouldn't attend a conference that would let me in.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Evolving » Jul 23, 2015 4:20 pm

10 Marx out of 10 for that.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#14  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 23, 2015 4:22 pm

I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Forty Two » Jul 23, 2015 5:15 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Forty Two wrote:The topic is whether sexism against men exists..

Actually, the topic is "are individual women sexist against men"

No. I created the topic. It's "Sexism against men -- does it exist?" I.e., does sexism against men exist?

Sendraks wrote:

as opposed to the potential broader application of the topic title which is "does sexism against men existence in the same entrenched cultural way that it exists against other groups."
]

No -- it's "does sexism against men exist." The feminist perspective as advanced by Sarkeesian and that ilk is that sexism against men does not exist. They don't argue that it does not exist in the same entrenched cultural way. They say it does not exist.

Sendraks wrote:

The answer to the first is yes, as evidenced by the article, although this is an oversimplification (hardly surprising given the link is an article from the Daily Mail, a rag largely read by fuckwits and the ignorant) of Mustafa's position.

Mustafa made a lengthy speech which is also available on youtube and she specifically explained her postion.

She refutes her sexism and racism by saying it's impossible for her to be racist and sexist.

Sendraks wrote:
Although I don't think she's set out her stall very well, the reality is that CIS White Men are unused to having doors closed to them in society.

Of course they are. They've been excluded from women's groups and "women only" establishments, and that continues to this day.

Sendraks wrote:

My interpretation of her position
You don't have to interpret. You can listen to her speech.

Sendraks wrote:
is that a) it is hilarious to see the overreaction of MRA types when they are barred from somewhere
It's an overreaction to call out the DIVERSITY OFFICER on a college campus for discriminating against a racial group and a sex? And, not only doing so, but stating unequivocally that doing so is the right thing to do?

Sendraks wrote:
and b) they make a completely false equivalency that what is happening to men under those circumstances is exactly the same sexism that women experience. Clearly it isn't and they miss the point by a country mile.

Well, who made that false equivalency?

Sexism against men is not "exactly the same" as what women experience, but it's just as bad.
Forty Two

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby tuco » Jul 23, 2015 5:31 pm

We had hmm lecture on job about bullying. The lecturer said that bullying is about power. He said that we, social workers, had power over our clients thus its impossible for them to bully us. I asked: If bullying is about power, and if client has power over my boss (through extraordinary relations or say bribes), then client can bully me. We had some argument after that but he was lecturer and I was social worker so the conclusion indeed was that clients cannot bully us which I know is not accurate description of reality.

---

edit: As anecdote, he was (that was my impression) trying to bully me, through his psychology degree and position of lecturer, when I was being skeptical about some of the claims he made during the lecture(s), but was having a bad day or something and broke up during the argument accusing my of intentional and self-serving disruption. So much for being professional (working in hospital as therapist) .. lol Needless to say that he had no arguments no facts.
tuco

Print view this post

#17  Postby Sendraks » Jul 23, 2015 5:43 pm

Forty Two wrote:

Well, who made that false equivalency?

Sexism against men is not "exactly the same" as what women experience, but it's just as bad.

Well done, you just made the false equivalency.

And I'm unsurprised to note that you're part of the men to who "missed the point by a country mile" group. Go you!

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#18  Postby scott1328 » Jul 24, 2015 2:53 am

Of course sexism against men exist. And guess what! The same people who perpetrate the sexism against women, perpetrate it against men as well.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Thommo » Jul 24, 2015 3:04 am

Sexism against men exists, but in my experience it's not as prevalent as that against women, particularly in the all important areas of institutional sexism.
Thommo

Print view this post

#20  Postby Thommo » Jul 24, 2015 3:05 am

Evolving wrote:10 Marx out of 10 for that.

No need to be so grouch-y.
Thommo

Print view this post

Next

Return to Sociology