The Germans

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: The Germans

#41  Postby HomerJay » Aug 14, 2013 11:31 pm

NineBerry wrote:
HomerJay wrote:Then when a bunch of native Germans came to dinner the guy made (or unpacked) Sauerkraut.

In England if you throw packets of bacon at muslims you will be arrested for racism, if I throw packets of Sauerkraut at Germans would they consider it racist?

Eh, Muslims usually don't eat bacon while Germans mostly like Sauerkraut.

So if the kraut likes sauerkraut it's game on, but if they don't you have to call them something else and throw something they like? :scratch:
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby NineBerry » Aug 15, 2013 6:47 am

Just a proposal: Call people the name they give to themselves. And never throw anything at people. Never. Well, except you are throwing Kamelle during Karneval in Cologne. That's acceptable
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#43  Postby Matt_B » Aug 15, 2013 8:47 am

HomerJay wrote:
NineBerry wrote:
HomerJay wrote:Then when a bunch of native Germans came to dinner the guy made (or unpacked) Sauerkraut.

In England if you throw packets of bacon at muslims you will be arrested for racism, if I throw packets of Sauerkraut at Germans would they consider it racist?

Eh, Muslims usually don't eat bacon while Germans mostly like Sauerkraut.

So if the kraut likes sauerkraut it's game on, but if they don't you have to call them something else and throw something they like? :scratch:

I don't think it'd be considered much less racist to throw packets of halal beef bacon at Muslims, so you should probably bear that in mind.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Regina » Aug 15, 2013 9:30 am

NineBerry wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Also unlike the English prefer cash to credit cards so believe in living within their means

Actually, we use debit cards instead of credit cards. In Germany, nearly every point of sale accepts debit cards of a German bank but very few accept credit cards.

Yup.And the breakthrough was Aldi's accepting debit cards. :grin:
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 15, 2013 9:47 am

NineBerry wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Also unlike the English prefer cash to credit cards so believe in living within their means

Actually, we use debit cards instead of credit cards. In Germany, nearly every point of sale accepts debit cards of a German bank but very few accept credit cards.

I bet you dont have credit card companies either. Credit cards are issued by banks and very strictly administered. Cards like American Express are generally not accepted anymore.
The British love their credit cards where as here and apparently Gemany debit cards can be used everywhere for any amount. Banks dont charge anything for their use. I never carry cash anymore.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 15, 2013 9:51 am

Shopping is done differently in Germany as well. There are still plenty of small shops like bakers and butchers?
Supermarkets are for buying bulk I was told while daily shopping is still done locally.

Are shopping malls allowed in Germany? Here they are very restricted in size and number.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Scar » Aug 15, 2013 10:32 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Shopping is done differently in Germany as well. There are still plenty of small shops like bakers and butchers?
Supermarkets are for buying bulk I was told while daily shopping is still done locally.

Not really.
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Are shopping malls allowed in Germany? Here they are very restricted in size and number.

They're all over the place.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 15, 2013 10:48 am

Scar wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Shopping is done differently in Germany as well. There are still plenty of small shops like bakers and butchers?

Not really.
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Are they very large? I never saw one in Berlin.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Regina » Aug 15, 2013 10:59 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Scar wrote:

Not really.
Scot Dutchy wrote:

http://www.centro.de/ Europe's biggest.
http://www.limbecker-platz.de/das-cente ... ngszeiten/ Pretty big.
http://www.rrz.de/ Biggish.
But the main point is that they are all within 20 km of each other.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 15, 2013 11:16 am

Regina wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Scar wrote:

Not really.
Scot Dutchy wrote:

http://www.centro.de/ Europe's biggest.
http://www.limbecker-platz.de/das-cente ... ngszeiten/ Pretty big.
http://www.rrz.de/ Biggish.
But the main point is that they are all within 20 km of each other.

I always thought the biggest was in Britain next to the Olympic stadium in London:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrYqYY49sGM

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#51  Postby surreptitious57 » Aug 16, 2013 12:03 pm

I really like the German philosophy as regards money. It mirrors mine exactly, which is to live within your means. I already knew that property ownership is not as high as here in England. But I did not know until I watched the programme that credit cards are not as widespread as over here either. I cannot help but wonder if these two factors are related to the fact that Germany is the strongest economic power in Europe. Less personal debt means more consumer spending which in turn means more profit margin and sustained employment for German companies. An eternal circle of growth production.

Contrast that with over here where we appear to be obsessed with mortgages and credit cards and accumulate enormous debt as a consequence. The English mentality is to buy first and pay later. This is actually a complete bastardisation of the word buy because if one has bought something it belongs to them. What actually happens is one acquires something instead. You still have to pay for it. And the irony is that it actually costs more by this method because one has to pay interest also if paying with a credit card. Some here have little if any concept of the notion of financial responsibilty. But the Germans have got it absolutely right when it comes to money. We could do with some of that Teutonic logic over here.

The other thing I always notice about them is their English, which is sometimes as good as that of the English themselves. It seems that at least every other German interviewd on televeision over here can speak it. And this is not true of any other nation. I can speak some French as that was the only language we could learn back in the day, but now children can learn any major European language they like. But we are still bad on speaking the tongues of others. I think that is because English is a universal language, so the view is that it is not necessary to learn another. But this attitude is both negative and outdated. I imagine German to be a hard language to learn because it is convoluted and extensive in comparison to others, but I could be wrong. One thing that does suprise me is that Angela Merkel cannot speak English. Given the fact she is Chancellor, I would have assumed she could. Not important in the grand scheme of things, but just saying.

I shop in Lidl whic we have over here though not too many. I like it because it is cheap. The English though can be rather particular about supermarkets favouring name over price. Many would not go anywhere near a Lidl because they see it as downmarket . They prefer Sainsbury's instead. That is the antiquated class system for you. However, I think that we are becoming more egalitarian overall, although there is still a strong conservative mindset that believes in God and history and tradition and all that and refuses to go away. You may have heard of it. It is called the Daily Mail.

And finally, the most popular male name in Germany is apparently Thomas. An excellent choice. Best name for a boy. Ever. No question. I was secretly hoping that the royal baby would be a Thomas too. We have never had one. But they went for George instead which I do not like. But Thomas would have been perfect because it would segue nicely with it being a German favourite and with the Queen being German too. So maybe I should be saying to our German friends instead your Queen. You can have here if you want. She only costs us sixty two pence a year per person. I do not know what that is in deutshce marks but it is not much. You can have Philip too. Yes I know he is Greek, but they are bamkrupt so you can take him instead. Cheers Germany. Nice one.
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#52  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 16, 2013 12:11 pm

Banking systems in Germany and Britain are very different that is why the difference.

Angela Merkel speaks very good Russian though (the second language of East Germany then).

I would not go to Lidl either. I like to know what is in the packet.

As for the rest the same amount of crap as usual.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Regina » Aug 16, 2013 12:47 pm

surr wrote:

And finally, the most popular male name in Germany is apparently Thomas. An excellent choice. Best name for a boy.

I wonder why that is... :mrgreen:
But unfortunately, I have to burst that particular bubble of yours as well. Thomas was popular in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, but no longer today.
Personally, I quite like George :think: .

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Briton » Aug 16, 2013 12:49 pm

Slightly OT but using credit cards does not necessarily entail living beyond your means. I use mine regularly but pay it off when when due; therefore no interest is payable (although I get cashback on purchases). The main advantage for Brits is Section 75 protection. It's foolish not to use it.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#55  Postby surreptitious57 » Aug 16, 2013 1:41 pm

Regina wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
And finally, the most popular male name in Germany is apparently Thomas. An excellent choice. Best name for a boy.

I have to burst that particular bubble of yours as well. Thomas was popular in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, but no longer today.

Well the programme clearly stated that the most popular male name in Germany is Thomas. Now maybe it is more popular in Nuremberg than elsewhere, but that is what it said. I have no reason to believe this is not true. I suppose the only sure way is to check the most recent census. I do not suppose you happen to have a copy lying around, do you? Cheers Reg.
surreptitious57

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 16, 2013 1:48 pm

Here is the list for the top ten German boys name and not a Thomas to be seen.

http://german.about.com/od/names/a/German-Names.htm

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Matt_B » Aug 16, 2013 1:57 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Here is the list for the top ten German boys name and not a Thomas to be seen.

There's not a lot of imagination in the top five girls names:
1. Sophie/Sofie
2. Marie
3. Maria
4. Mia
5. Sophia/Sofia
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Regina » Aug 16, 2013 1:59 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Here is the list for the top ten German boys name and not a Thomas to be seen.

Yup. Sad, but true.
Surr, I must tell you again, that programme was a load of bollocks. Facts are not their forte, it would seem.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Regina wrote:

Yup. Sad, but true.
Surr, I must tell you again, that programme was a load of bollocks. Facts are not their forte, it would seem.

I agree. Also the bit about Germans and money is a bit over the top as well.

British people are not used to debit cards as the way Germans and us are used to them. I never carry cash. You can 'PIN' everywhere. There are mobile pin machines used by delivery companies.

So when it is said credit cards are not popular because most people never use them they should be asking about debit cards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debit_card

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#60  Postby surreptitious57 » Aug 16, 2013 2:41 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
British people are not used to debit cards as the way Germans and us are used to them. I never carry cash.

I have one debit card which I use to pay all my bills and cash when I go shopping. I do not have a credit card. They are the quickest way to get into debt. Many over here do not even know what an APR is or how much they are being charged. A credit card may allow you to purchase more but costs more with interest than if you saved up and then bought. The credit card companies over here must be making millions in profit. And in these austere times too. That is just not right.
surreptitious57

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Sociology