The Germans

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: The Germans

#61  Postby laklak » Aug 16, 2013 3:04 pm

All my shopping here is done with a debit card, even a small purchase at the corner shop. I carry maybe $30 in cash just in case. All my bills are set up for automatic pay on a debit card. I have one credit card at the home improvement place (Home Depot), but it's only got a $500 limit. I hate credit cards, mortgages, car loans etc. I've got one outstanding loan on the truck, only to keep some sort of credit rating ticking over just in case I need it. I paid off the mortgages as soon as I could manage it. Fuck paying interest.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby surreptitious57 » Aug 16, 2013 3:38 pm

Muslims do not pay interest on loans. I think this only applies to transactions between individuals however. I cannot see financial institutions compromising for the sake of religious sensitivity. Though I am not absolutely certain on that. But it is harem for one Muslim to take advantage of another by charging interest. That is strictly forbidden. It is also forbidden for them to gamble but some do. In fact the biggest lottery winner over here at the time was a Muslim. He won seventeen million quid. You could live just off the interest on that never mind it itself.
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#63  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Aug 16, 2013 3:49 pm

They pay interest, its just not the typical form of repayments that individuals in western countries use.
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#64  Postby NineBerry » Aug 16, 2013 9:20 pm

Many Germans use debit cards like credit cards. If you have a regular income onto your bank account of sum X EUR, you can pay from your bank account via debit card up until you reach -2X (or a similar limit). You then pay interest for the amount that you are below 0 EUR.

Many people buy expensive items like furniture, cars, computers, televisions, etc via deferred payment systems handled over banks. That is again like buying via credit card but without credit card.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#65  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 17, 2013 7:22 am

NineBerry wrote:Many Germans use debit cards like credit cards. If you have a regular income onto your bank account of sum X EUR, you can pay from your bank account via debit card up until you reach -2X (or a similar limit). You then pay interest for the amount that you are below 0 EUR.

Many people buy expensive items like furniture, cars, computers, televisions, etc via deferred payment systems handled over banks. That is again like buying via credit card but without credit card.

We have no restrictions on debit cards as long as the money + overdraft is in your account. The overdraft has to cleared at least once every three months.

I have used my debit card all over Europe now without any hassle.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Berthold » Aug 17, 2013 7:52 am

NineBerry wrote:
Evolving wrote:In Munich even the newspaper kiosks on the Marienplatz are closed on Sundays.

Last year, the Berlin state parliament made a law that would have allowed corner kiosks (so called "Spätis") to open on Sundays. But the law was declared unconstitutional by the constitutional court.

Huh?

Elsewhere (Ruhrgebiet) there are these.
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Briton » Aug 17, 2013 9:31 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
British people are not used to debit cards as the way Germans and us are used to them. I never carry cash. You can 'PIN' everywhere. There are mobile pin machines used by delivery companies.

So when it is said credit cards are not popular because most people never use them they should be asking about debit cards.

I'd have thought there are very few Brits who don't have a debit card.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 17, 2013 9:49 am

Briton wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
British people are not used to debit cards as the way Germans and us are used to them. I never carry cash. You can 'PIN' everywhere. There are mobile pin machines used by delivery companies.

So when it is said credit cards are not popular because most people never use them they should be asking about debit cards.

Can you use them everywhere? I mean everywhere.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#69  Postby NineBerry » Aug 17, 2013 8:57 pm

Berthold wrote:

Elsewhere (Ruhrgebiet) there are these.

They aren't allowed to open on Sundays- Or at least not allowed to sell anything except food and drinks for immediate consumption on Sundays.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#70  Postby Emmeline » Aug 17, 2013 9:26 pm

So it seems the programme got it all wrong about Germans! Here's an apologetic gift from an English person - it shows how hopeless some of us are at international relations - I hope you enjoy it :)

Emmeline

Print view this post

#71  Postby Fallible » Aug 17, 2013 10:59 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Regina wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Here is the list for the top ten German boys name and not a Thomas to be seen.

http://german.about.com/od/names/a/German-Names.htm

Yup. Sad, but true.
Surr, I must tell you again, that programme was a load of bollocks. Facts are not their forte, it would seem.

I agree. Also the bit about Germans and money is a bit over the top as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debit_card

:scratch: We use debit cards all the time, and I mean ALL. THE. TIME.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Fallible » Aug 17, 2013 11:00 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Briton wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Yes, everywhere. Again, :scratch:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#73  Postby epepke » Aug 18, 2013 3:18 am

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Shouldn't the title of this thread be "Zee Germans"?

Churmans.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 18, 2013 4:11 am

Fallible wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Briton wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

In pubs? Pay for your round?

Well that is a British thing really. We dont pay rounds here just run up a tag.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#75  Postby I'm With Stupid » Aug 18, 2013 5:43 am

Briton wrote:Slightly OT but using credit cards does not necessarily entail living beyond your means. I use mine regularly but pay it off when when due; therefore no interest is payable (although I get cashback on purchases). The main advantage for Brits is Section 75 protection. It's foolish not to use it.

Yeah, I use my credit card for any big online purchase. It offers protections that a debit card doesn't, earns me cashback, and is interest free because I pay of the full balance a month later.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby I'm With Stupid » Aug 18, 2013 5:47 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fallible wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Briton wrote:

Jesus Christ Scot, when was the last time you went to the UK? 1974? I've been gone for 3 years, and even I know that you can use a debit card everywhere. More people have a debit card than a credit card in the UK, because you get one with pretty much every bank account.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 18, 2013 4:03 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fallible wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Jesus Christ Scot, when was the last time you went to the UK? 1974? I've been gone for 3 years, and even I know that you can use a debit card everywhere. More people have a debit card than a credit card in the UK, because you get one with pretty much every bank account.

Well the last time I was in Edinburgh and in London two years ago I hardly saw anyone using them. Just wads of cash as in the old days.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#78  Postby laklak » Aug 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Ihavenofingerprints wrote:They pay interest, its just not the typical form of repayments that individuals in western countries use.

At one point when I worked in the Mideast I developed a "Sharia compliant" financial system for mortgages. It was certified as "interest free". However, there was a service fee that was defined as a percentage of the loan amount, amortized over the length of the loan, and paid in installments. If it looks like compound interest, walks like compound interest and quacks like compound interest, it's probably compound interest.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#79  Postby NineBerry » Aug 18, 2013 11:13 pm

I have spent the weekend in Dresden. They have a trick. One Lidl is allowed to opened on Sunday because it is in the building of a train station.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#80  Postby mindhack » Aug 18, 2013 11:21 pm

Sorry, but this definitely deserves a place here;

:lol:
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Sociology