The Germans

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: The Germans

#81  Postby PCS » Aug 19, 2013 12:31 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fallible wrote:

Yes, everywhere. Again, :scratch:

In pubs? Pay for your round?

Well that is a British thing really. We dont pay rounds here just run up a tag.

Jesus Christ Scot, when was the last time you went to the UK? 1974? I've been gone for 3 years, and even I know that you can use a debit card everywhere. More people have a debit card than a credit card in the UK, because you get one with pretty much every bank account.

Well the last time I was in Edinburgh and in London two years ago I hardly saw anyone using them. Just wads of cash as in the old days.

My bank issues me with a VISA debit card, it's got the VISA logo and works ANYWHERE ALL AROUND THE WORLD as if it were a credit card. You don't get changed for its use and no interest, just an overdraft fee.

Yeah, you can pay with card (debit or credit) anywhere in the UK now, including pubs. Personally, I still prefer to walk around and pay with money even if payment by card is available.

Much better having a quick exchange of metal/paper in a bar rather than hand over card, having the barman push some buttons, hand you terminal, you type in numbers, hand back, wait for transaction to complete, get card handed back. By the time you do all this, your beer is flat!! I think that any value under £10 makes it pointless to go through all the credit card transaction process when you can so easily put a few metal pieces on someone else's hand.

Another reason why I prefer hard cash on a night out is that if I have £x in my pocket which is somewhere in the region of what I should be spending, I tend not to get a surprise when I check on-line banking the morning after a night out. I cannot say the same when paying by card as I'm somehow desensitized about the amount of money I really am spending. Yeah, that doesn't stop me from running to the bank machine when running out of cash, at least I feel bit guilty of my overspending at the time so that overspending will still be lesser than if paying by card.
“Last words are for those fools who believe they have not yet said enough...” Last words of Karl Marx
PCS

Name: Patrick
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby PCS » Aug 19, 2013 12:35 am

NineBerry wrote:Many Germans use debit cards like credit cards. If you have a regular income onto your bank account of sum X EUR, you can pay from your bank account via debit card up until you reach -2X (or a similar limit). You then pay interest for the amount that you are below 0 EUR.

Many people buy expensive items like furniture, cars, computers, televisions, etc via deferred payment systems handled over banks. That is again like buying via credit card but without credit card.

Yeah overdraft. That is what I thought, even if credit cards are very unpopular, credit would still exist in some way or another in Germany.

What about bank loans? Do Germans get bank loans for big purchases and split the cost of this over a period of months or years? say when buying a car or making home improvements, new kitchen, bathroom. Or do Germans really loath credit and would save up before making such purchases?
“Last words are for those fools who believe they have not yet said enough...” Last words of Karl Marx
PCS

Name: Patrick
Male

Print view this post

#83  Postby NineBerry » Aug 19, 2013 9:28 am

That's what I meant in my second paragraph with "deferred payment systems". You have bank loans that you don't handle over your bank but over the bank of the merchant via the merchant.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#84  Postby Fallible » Aug 19, 2013 10:14 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fallible wrote:

Yes, everywhere. Again, :scratch:

In pubs? Pay for your round?

Well that is a British thing really. We dont pay rounds here just run up a tag.

Jesus Christ Scot, when was the last time you went to the UK? 1974? I've been gone for 3 years, and even I know that you can use a debit card everywhere. More people have a debit card than a credit card in the UK, because you get one with pretty much every bank account.

Well the last time I was in Edinburgh and in London two years ago I hardly saw anyone using them. Just wads of cash as in the old days.

You go to some weird places then. Yes, everyone uses debit cards everywhere. Even to buy booze in a pub. Of course this doesn't mean they exclusively use them. Sometimes people still use cash, but that doesn't mean they never use their debit card. If for example you do a job like I do, or you are in another kind of employment where you receive cash in hand, you'll use that cash if it's on you, especially if (forgive me for using stereotypes for a moment) you are, for example, a brickie buying his mates a round on a Friday night.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Sociology