The Germans

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

The Germans

#1  Postby surreptitious57 » Aug 14, 2013 7:05 am

Saw a documentary on BBC 2 on Monday : Make Me A German

And so learned some interesting facts about our Teutonic cousins

They work one hour less than the English though still produce more

They also have more vacation time too at thirty holiday days per year

They are not allowed to surf the internet or to use their mobiles at work

German women expected to do four hours eleven minutes housework a day

They are not to have large families and not supposed to go out to work either

But those that do go out to work are not as respected as those who stay at home

Most Germans rent and are not as obsessed about owning property as the English are

Also unlike the English prefer cash to credit cards so believe in living within their means

Germany the largest exporter of cars in the world but most Germans still drive German ones

German children start school at six and before that attend forest nurseries purely for recreation

Germans value engineers much as doctors or lawyers and many do not go to uni but straight to work

On Sundays shops are shut and any noise in your house can result in the polIce fining you for disrespect

German football clubs are majority owned by the fans and not by Russian oligarchs or American millionaires
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 10195

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The Germans

#2  Postby Regina » Aug 14, 2013 8:34 am

There's quite a bit of bollocks in that list, the main one being that there is such a thing as being "German" which goes beyond holding a German passport and speaking (vaguely) the same language.
edit: punctuation
Last edited by Regina on Aug 14, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina
 
Posts: 15627
Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

Re: The Germans

#3  Postby Scar » Aug 14, 2013 8:47 am

What a load of bollocks (mostly).
Image
User avatar
Scar
 
Name: Michael
Posts: 3967
Age: 34
Male

Country: Germany
Germany (de)
Print view this post

Re: The Germans

#4  Postby NineBerry » Aug 14, 2013 9:01 am

I have heard the Germans have that habit to sort sentences in forum posts by length. ^^

Also, the BBC have a program called "Make me German"? Seems to prove there is something behind http://www.rationalskepticism.org/fun-g ... 8-400.html
User avatar
NineBerry
RS Donator
 
Posts: 6133
Age: 42
Male

Country: nSk
Print view this post

Re: The Germans

#5  Postby Varangian » Aug 14, 2013 9:53 am

It is also a fact that Germans react negatively when faced with lists of purported national traits.
Image

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
User avatar
Varangian
RS Donator
 
Name: Björn
Posts: 7298
Age: 56
Male

Country: Sweden
Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Re: The Germans

#6  Postby NineBerry » Aug 14, 2013 10:28 am

Varangian wrote:It is also a fact that Germans react negatively when faced with lists of purported national traits.


No, we don't!
User avatar
NineBerry
RS Donator
 
Posts: 6133
Age: 42
Male

Country: nSk
Print view this post

Re: The Germans

#7  Postby Matt_B » Aug 14, 2013 10:53 am

Such lists always end up being a lowest common denominator stereotype, which is rather ignoring the fact that (most) Germans are individuals.

Still, at least there was nothing about towels and beaches...
User avatar
Matt_B
 
Posts: 4683
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The Germans

#8  Postby Scar » Aug 14, 2013 11:48 am

Matt_B wrote:Such lists always end up being a lowest common denominator stereotype, which is rather ignoring the fact that (most) Germans are individuals.

Still, at least there was nothing about towels and beaches...


But there's quite a bit that isn't just a lowest common denominator stereotype but just outright nonsense straight out of someone's arse.
Image
User avatar
Scar
 
Name: Michael
Posts: 3967
Age: 34
Male

Country: Germany
Germany (de)
Print view this post

Re: The Germans

#9  Postby Matt_B » Aug 14, 2013 11:58 am

Scar wrote:
Matt_B wrote:Such lists always end up being a lowest common denominator stereotype, which is rather ignoring the fact that (most) Germans are individuals.

Still, at least there was nothing about towels and beaches...


But there's quite a bit that isn't just a lowest common denominator stereotype but just outright nonsense straight out of someone's arse.


Yes, that too. Although twisting statistics to support stereotypes has long been a staple of such programmes.
User avatar
Matt_B
 
Posts: 4683
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The Germans

#10  Postby Briton » Aug 14, 2013 12:04 pm

Regina wrote:There's quite a bit of bollocks in that list, the main one being that there is such a thing as being "German" which goes beyond holding a German passport and speaking (vaguely) the same. language.


Same for the 'English'...who are German anyway. ;)
User avatar
Briton
 
Posts: 4022

Country: UK
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: The Germans

#11  Postby Varangian » Aug 14, 2013 12:49 pm

Briton wrote:
Regina wrote:There's quite a bit of bollocks in that list, the main one being that there is such a thing as being "German" which goes beyond holding a German passport and speaking (vaguely) the same. language.


Same for the 'English'...who are German anyway. ;)


If it weren't for the Germans, we would all talk English today... wait...
Image

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
User avatar
Varangian
RS Donator
 
Name: Björn
Posts: 7298
Age: 56
Male

Country: Sweden
Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Re: The Germans

#12  Postby Ironclad » Aug 14, 2013 1:12 pm

The bit about the housework, that's got to be right though. :ask:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
User avatar
Ironclad
RS Donator
 
Name: Nudge-Nudge
Posts: 23925
Age: 52
Male

Country: Wink-Wink
Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Re: The Germans

#13  Postby NineBerry » Aug 14, 2013 1:18 pm

Ironclad wrote:The bit about the housework, that's got to be right though. :ask:


Actually it is not four hours eleven minutes a day, but 12 hours fifteen minutes a week. And it is not housework but "House" music. :drunk:
User avatar
NineBerry
RS Donator
 
Posts: 6133
Age: 42
Male

Country: nSk
Print view this post

Re: The Germans

#14  Postby surreptitious57 » Aug 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Scar wrote:
Matt_B wrote:
Such lists always end up being lowest common denominator stereotype
which is rather ignoring the fact that ( most ) Germans are individuals

Still at least there was nothing about towels and beaches

But there is quite a bit that is not just a lowest common denominator
stereotypes but just outright nonsense straight out of someones arse

You would need to speak about that with the Germans that provided the information then : Generalisations are fine because
they are just that though sterotypes are more specific so must be avoided : They are just one step from racism or xenophobia

I do agree with Regina however about how nationality is defined : I am English but only because I was born here : I am not particularly patriotic and definitely not nationalistic and both my parents were Irish so what does that make me : I guess a bit of a mongrel like everyone else : And like everyone else my true ancestors were not European but African : So defining me by one nationality is almost impossible other than from a purely legal perspective

Identity bothers some over here because of immigration and Islam : Plus the fact we once had an empire : But so did the Italians and Greeks and French and Russians and where are those now : Lost in the sands of time : I think of my self as a
human being because that has no border or identity and is universal to all irrespective of any thing else : The other stuff
is unimportant at the end of the day : Unfortunately for some however that matters but It should not though : Not at all
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 10195

Print view this post

Re: The Germans

#15  Postby campermon » Aug 14, 2013 2:54 pm

From the programme; I did like the way stay at home mums were supported so that they can look after little kids. Although I disagree that 'mum' has to be the mum, if you know what I mean.
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
User avatar
campermon
RS Donator
 
Posts: 17437
Age: 51
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The Germans

#16  Postby Regina » Aug 14, 2013 3:18 pm

campermon wrote:From the programme; I did like the way stay at home mums were supported so that they can look after little kids. Although I disagree that 'mum' has to be the mum, if you know what I mean.

It's called "Herdprämie". And no, that's not nice. It induces the people who can afford it the least (immigrants) to keep their kids at home and not in creches where they have a better chance to learn German.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina
 
Posts: 15627
Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

Re: The Germans

#17  Postby NineBerry » Aug 14, 2013 3:22 pm

I don't think they have the Herdprämie in the programme. It has just started and is a big flop because hardly anyone registered to receive it. @campermoon: In what way were stay at home mums supported in the documentary?
User avatar
NineBerry
RS Donator
 
Posts: 6133
Age: 42
Male

Country: nSk
Print view this post

Re: The Germans

#18  Postby Regina » Aug 14, 2013 3:23 pm

NineBerry wrote:I don't think they have the Herdprämie in the programme. It has just started and is a big flop because hardly anyone registered to receive it. @campermoon: In what way were stay at home mums supported in the documentary?

Perhaps it was "Elternzeit"?
Last edited by Regina on Aug 14, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina
 
Posts: 15627
Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

Re: The Germans

#19  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 14, 2013 3:28 pm

I always thought and experienced very different Germans according to the region.

Like any country the north and south divide is very present in Germany IMHO.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 43119
Age: 72
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: The Germans

#20  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Aug 14, 2013 3:41 pm

Shouldn't the title of this thread be "Zee Germans"?
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
User avatar
CdesignProponentsist
 
Posts: 12686
Age: 53
Male

Country: California
United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Sociology

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest