Toxic Masculinity...

Toxic Femininity...

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Toxic Masculinity...

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 06, 2018 4:12 pm

It's all a bit sexist gender role stereotypes innit?

Does The Only Way is Essex promote 'toxic masculinity'?

Over eight years, The Only Way Is Essex has kept viewers hooked with its glossy brand of real-life drama, served in glamorous locations along with some enviable outfits.

The show's opening disclaimer maintains that "the tans you see may be fake, but the people are all real".

However, the show's apparent reality has made uncomfortable viewing for some fans in the first two weeks of the new series.

Viewers have voiced concerns about the on-screen behaviour of some of the show's biggest stars and the way they treat their partners.

On social media, some have accused cast members James "Lockie" Lock and Myles Barnett of abusive language and behaviour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43639380
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Toxic Masculinity...

#2  Postby Sendraks » Apr 06, 2018 4:38 pm

Do you understand what Toxic Masculinity is?
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Do you understand what astrology is?
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Sendraks » Apr 06, 2018 4:46 pm

I'll repeat the question, as you appear not to have understood it and responded with an irrelevant question.

Do you understand what Toxic Masculinity is?
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 06, 2018 5:07 pm

I know that some people believe there is such a thing as very important/powerful masculinity/femininity, and behave accordingly, adhering, representing and strengthening those stereotypes, and that it's actually a damaging fiction, far moreso than astrology in all likelihood.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Sendraks » Apr 06, 2018 5:18 pm

Right, so that's not toxic masculinity.

Here's the first thing. Toxic masculinity (which is a widely understood social phenomenon) effects both genders. MRAs have created toxic feminity as a form of false equivalence, that women reinforcing the expectations on men and women created by toxic masculinity is somehow a phenomenon in its own right.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

Return to Sociology