Twitch.tv

Should women tell these women to be cool?

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Twitch.tv

#81  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jan 27, 2019 3:15 pm

Evolving wrote:They're tolerating the behaviour in a defined environment, not in general.

Ding ding ding ding ding!
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby tuco » Jan 27, 2019 3:34 pm

Evolving wrote:There are lots of things available on the internet that I don't want my child to encounter. It's a challenge. Parental controls only work imperfectly, on my child's own devices, and of course there are her peers who are not subject to my parental controls. My task would be a lot easier if these things were prohibited.

My challenge (with regard to what we're talking about here) would be much more direct if I had a son, who I really didn't want to grow up thinking that toxic masculinity is ok.

It's difficult. But I'm still inclined to think that people should be free to offer their services in these environments, and not be nannied by people who disapprove. Even though I do disapprove, and wish that the men would grow up and no longer be in the market for these things.

I should have been more precise with my words, like "allow" for example, but are the toxic men who ought to be told by their peers they are not cool being nannied? I do not think so. They are being told .. what you are doing is not cool.

You are tolerating toxic masculinity and it is not cool. How is this statement problematic is beyond me.
tuco

Print view this post

#83  Postby scott1328 » Jan 27, 2019 3:50 pm

The thing is, there is a “toxic femininity” that women can police but it is of a different character than the masculine form. The women posting here can describe it better than I could, since my experience of it is of an outside observer. It includes bullying, shaming, ostracism, pressure to conform. And while typically not violent, it can still be damaging. What I have not seen is that toxicity turned outward into violence and harassment of men.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jan 27, 2019 4:11 pm

I've certainly seen a beautiful man and said to a friend "I'd like to see him naked" to which they have responded "He'd never sleep with you". They're probably right.

I've never approached a man I thought was beautiful and told him to show me his dick though.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#85  Postby BlackBart » Jan 27, 2019 6:49 pm

How do we know the performer receives the 'toxic' messages in the first place? The twitch help pages advises there are ignore functions and third party filter bots available. I'd be surprised anyone with a monetised stream wouldn't apply some kind of filtering. Maybe if another user who witnesses negative behaviour reports it instead of expecting someone else to do it then maybe it would happen less?
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#86  Postby BlackBart » Jan 27, 2019 7:35 pm

laklak wrote:I once went to what is colloquially referred to as a 'titty bar'. There were women there who were, well, naked, writhing around on the stage and shaking their goodies at the menz. if you gave them money they would shake their "money maker" right in your face. Fuckin' Ace, dudes.

Anyway, I went outside and asked the first woman I saw if I could stick a rolled up dollar bill between her ass cheeks. She got all fucking offended and shit. I mean, what's up with that?

They really hate it if you ask for change. :shifty:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 27, 2019 8:48 pm

BlackBart wrote:
laklak wrote:I once went to what is colloquially referred to as a 'titty bar'. There were women there who were, well, naked, writhing around on the stage and shaking their goodies at the menz. if you gave them money they would shake their "money maker" right in your face. Fuckin' Ace, dudes.

Anyway, I went outside and asked the first woman I saw if I could stick a rolled up dollar bill between her ass cheeks. She got all fucking offended and shit. I mean, what's up with that?

They really hate it if you ask for change. :shifty:

Today's aphorism is, "Be the change you wish to see in others."
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby tuco » Jan 27, 2019 9:09 pm

BlackBart wrote:How do we know the performer receives the 'toxic' messages in the first place? The twitch help pages advises there are ignore functions and third party filter bots available. I'd be surprised anyone with a monetised stream wouldn't apply some kind of filtering. Maybe if another user who witnesses negative behaviour reports it instead of expecting someone else to do it then maybe it would happen less?

That is a good question. As I said, some moderate it but some don't. I was talking about those who do not. As for filtering, boobs ~ bobs or b00bs or something else that is understood as such. Filtering solves very little imo but let's not go there.
tuco

Print view this post

#89  Postby Evolving » Jan 28, 2019 12:59 pm

scott1328 wrote:The thing is, there is a “toxic femininity” that women can police but it is of a different character than the masculine form. The women posting here can describe it better than I could, since my experience of it is of an outside observer. It includes bullying, shaming, ostracism, pressure to conform. And while typically not violent, it can still be damaging. What I have not seen is that toxicity turned outward into violence and harassment of men.

Yes: women are the objects of both toxic masculinity and what you are calling toxic femininity. (I don't think it's a very good term, though: it's just the way women are to each other. Other women, that is. Not me. I'm really nice.)
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#90  Postby scott1328 » Jan 28, 2019 1:46 pm

Evolving wrote:
scott1328 wrote:The thing is, there is a “toxic femininity” that women can police but it is of a different character than the masculine form. The women posting here can describe it better than I could, since my experience of it is of an outside observer. It includes bullying, shaming, ostracism, pressure to conform. And while typically not violent, it can still be damaging. What I have not seen is that toxicity turned outward into violence and harassment of men.

Yes: women are the objects of both toxic masculinity and what you are calling toxic femininity. (I don't think it's a very good term, though: it's just the way women are to each other. Other women, that is. Not me. I'm really nice.)

girls will be girls, amirite?
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Evolving » Jan 28, 2019 3:08 pm

Ouch.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Evolving » Jan 28, 2019 6:32 pm

You've made me realise that you were right, and that it's perfectly reasonable to call it "toxic femininity": there is an equivalence.

There's a difference in that "toxic" men are doing it to us, whereas we're doing it to ourselves; but that doesn't make it any less toxic.

Quite right.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#93  Postby scott1328 » Jan 28, 2019 7:34 pm

Evolving wrote:You've made me realise that you were right, and that it's perfectly reasonable to call it "toxic femininity": there is an equivalence.

There's a difference in that "toxic" men are doing it to us, whereas we're doing it to ourselves; but that doesn't make it any less toxic.

Quite right.

Agreed.

Part of the toxicity of toxic masculinity is ignoring consent and violating boundaries.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Sociology