Vehicle Driver Stereotypes

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Vehicle Driver Stereotypes

#1  Postby amyonyango » May 18, 2010 3:32 pm

I'm really naughty and sterotype people based on the car they're driving all the time!

Anyone in a flashy new Audi/BMW/Merc is an arrogant twat.

Honda owners (except of those sporty models) are sensible and boring.

I could go on, but I'm too curious to know if others share my views?

What do you assume about fellow drivers simply based on their choice of vehicle?
Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.
amyonyango
RS Donator

Name: Amy
Female

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Vehicle Driver Stereotypes

#2  Postby mmmcheezy » May 18, 2010 3:33 pm

Anyone in a Hummer is a total and complete fucking asshole.
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Tbickle » May 18, 2010 3:44 pm

mmmcheezy wrote:Anyone in a Hummer is a total and complete fucking asshole.

At a minimum, they make poor buying decisions. I don't judge people by what kind of a car they drive because I find nothing wrong with someone wanting to drive a nice car and I don't think you need to be a arrogant or selfish to do so. On the other hand, I admit that I do make judgments based on other factors regarding their cars. Vanity license plates, various stickers, or other such additional personal touches make it a little easier to do that.

I had someone is a bright red corvette fly past me like and driving like a complete ass who had a license plate that said, "C U GRLZ", and :lol: :nono: .
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Matt_B » May 18, 2010 3:47 pm

I wonder where the Popemobile would fit into this...
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby z8000783 » May 18, 2010 3:48 pm

Volvo drivers are scared stiff of having an accident.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Matt_B » May 18, 2010 3:51 pm

z8000783 wrote:Volvo drivers are scared stiff of having an accident.

John

If Volvos are so safe, why are their insurance premiums sky high?
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby amyonyango » May 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Tbickle wrote:

At a minimum, they make poor buying decisions. I don't judge people by what kind of a car they drive because I find nothing wrong with someone wanting to drive a nice car and I don't think you need to be a arrogant or selfish to do so. On the other hand, I admit that I do make judgments based on other factors regarding their cars. Vanity license plates, various stickers, or other such additional personal touches make it a little easier to do that.

I had someone is a bright red corvette fly past me like and driving like a complete ass who had a license plate that said, "C U GRLZ", and :lol: :nono: .

Oh I don't really believe in the stereotypes I have! I just have these immediate reactions to people in their cars but I would never seriously think that my impression of the person based on their car was going to be accurate! (I may get it right on occasion tho...!)

Maybe my "arrogant twat" reaction to the bloke in his shiny new Audi is simply jealousy? And on the odd occasion that a Merc driver doesn't let me into a stream of traffic my stereotype will (*tongue in cheek*) be proven correct!
amyonyango
RS Donator

Female

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Tbickle » May 18, 2010 3:55 pm

amyonyango wrote:
Tbickle wrote:

Oh I don't really believe in the stereotypes I have! I just have these immediate reactions to people in their cars but I would never seriously think that my impression of the person based on their car was going to be accurate! (I may get it right on occasion tho...!)

Maybe my "arrogant twat" reaction to the bloke in his shiny new Audi is simply jealousy? And on the odd occasion that a Merc driver doesn't let me into a stream of traffic my stereotype will (*tongue in cheek*) be proven correct!

Unfortunately I get the jealousy reaction too often. :lol:

I think we all make judgments, it's just human nature and I have to say that even though I base mine on license plates and what not, they could still be completely inaccurate.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Thommo » May 18, 2010 4:00 pm

Anyone with L plates on needs encouraging due to underconfidence.

This can be achieved by:

- Letting them know when traffic lights change by honking your horn.
- Driving close behind them to let them know you have confidence in their abilities.
- Recklessly overtaking them in dangerous positions to give them practice in unexpected situations.
- Sighing impatiently to yourself and muttering that stupid kids should be kept off the roads.
Thommo

Print view this post

#10  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 18, 2010 4:11 pm

I think this a very British thing.
Here people could not care what you are driving in. There are so many lease cars here so it says nothing. SUV's have lost favour.
I have two cars. One is a Peugot 306 XS and one is classic Citroen DS21 Pallas (1967). So where is the streotyping. I hardly drive here anyway. Your mad to take your car into the city it is mostly pedestrianised and parking costs a fortune. We have a very good tram and bus service.
The only stereotype that funny enough still exists are Jaguar drivers. They are either pooiers or drug dealers so if you want to be stopped by the police just drive a Jag.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)

Birthday
Print view this post

#11  Postby amyonyango » May 18, 2010 4:12 pm

Thommo wrote:Anyone with L plates on needs encouraging due to underconfidence.

This can be achieved by:

- Letting them know when traffic lights change by honking your horn.
- Driving close behind them to let them know you have confidence in their abilities.
- Recklessly overtaking them in dangerous positions to give them practice in unexpected situations.
- Sighing impatiently to yourself and muttering that stupid kids should be kept off the roads.

You know I'm an extremely impatient person in life generally - and especially when driving. BUT! I'm always repectful and calm towards learners, even round 'ere with the local test centre 2 streets away (therefore half the cars on the road within a 2 mile radius are learners). Yesterday I was behind a learner at a busy roundabout during rush hour - and I was in a rush - and my 7 year old was fuming! "OH MY GOD MUM WHY DON'T YOU BEEP THEM WE'RE GONNA BE HERE FOREVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVER!"

But no, I remembered back to my 35 lessons, 12 years ago, and I let them dawdle, stall and panic for as long as they needed to!

Had the driver not been a learner, then I'd've been hot on the horn!

The type of people who dawdle at roundabouts (to stay on topic with a stereotype) are over 45 and drive pale green Japanese models.
amyonyango
RS Donator

Female

England (eng)
Print view this post

#12  Postby amyonyango » May 18, 2010 4:14 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:They are either pooiers or drug dealers so if you want to be stopped by the police just drive a Jag.

WTF is a "pooier"?
amyonyango
RS Donator

Female

England (eng)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 18, 2010 4:18 pm

amyonyango wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:They are either pooiers or drug dealers so if you want to be stopped by the police just drive a Jag.

WTF is a "pooier"?

Sorry Amy tiredness creeping in and my Dutch takes over. It is a pimp.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)

Birthday
Print view this post

#14  Postby z8000783 » May 18, 2010 4:19 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:I think this a very British thing.
Here people could not care what you are driving in. There are so many lease cars here so it says nothing. SUV's have lost favour.
I have two cars. One is a Peugot 306 XS and one is classic Citroen DS21 Pallas (1967).

People who drive French cars want to be different but not too different.,

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#15  Postby amyonyango » May 18, 2010 4:22 pm

z8000783 wrote:
I have two cars. One is a Peugot 306 XS and one is classic Citroen DS21 Pallas (1967).

John

I'll let you into a secret...!

French cars are shit!

Used to work in a Renault dealership and the Renault Technicians (not mechanics :naughty:) officially told me to never ever buy a French car! EVER! :lol:
amyonyango
RS Donator

Female

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby tetters » May 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Great thread. I've been cycling in the mean streets of Toronto Canada for almost 15 years ever since I moved into the Big Smoke. Here are some of my "observations".

Non-descript white vans...of any make or model really. These drivers tend to be contractors, or delivery drivers of some sort. In other words need to get from point A - B as quickly as possible and to hell with everyone else.

Taxi Cabs. - They own the road apparently. I've had words with a few of these jerks.

Audi, Beemers, Benz etc. - Like the OP says, arrogant twat...they too own the road. Typically on the phone, having a smoke and drinking a starbucks while texting...all at the same time!

Old men with hats on or the wife is in the passenger seat. Slow, unpredictable and have no sense of their surroundings. Also within this catagory are the little old ladies. As a general rule of thumb if I cannot see the top of their heads over the back rest, they are generally of the height where it appears that they are peering over dashboard to see where they are going.

SUV owners....see Audi's, Beemers, and Benz.

Canada Post Trucks. No shit, I've had these effing pricks run me off the road or try to a couple of times. They pass close, cut you off at the light and will lay on the horn if you are in the way.

...that's all I can think of for now. Now don't blame me...I just call them as I see them.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...
WOW! What a ride!" - Hunter S. Thompson
tetters
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Animavore » May 18, 2010 5:26 pm

I always find it ironically funny when I hear black guys tell jokes about how bad at driving Oriental guys are.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#18  Postby wunksta » May 18, 2010 5:28 pm

what about veedubs? thats what my car looks like :lol:
The night is dark and full of terrors...
wunksta

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby tetters » May 18, 2010 5:29 pm

wunksta wrote:Image

what about veedubs? thats what my car looks like :lol:

Nah! Thats hippie car! :lol: Peace, Love, Save the Planet and all that. :smile:
"Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...
WOW! What a ride!" - Hunter S. Thompson
tetters
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#20  Postby mmmcheezy » May 18, 2010 5:52 pm

amyonyango wrote:
z8000783 wrote:

John

I'll let you into a secret...!

French cars are shit!

Used to work in a Renault dealership and the Renault Technicians (not mechanics :naughty:) officially told me to never ever buy a French car! EVER! :lol:

:lol:
My mom drove a dark green Renault for most of my childhood. It WAS a piece of shit!
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Sociology