What if everybody just relaxed about sex?

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What if everybody just relaxed about sex?

#21  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jun 15, 2011 5:51 am

Agrippina wrote:Bonobos seem to do nothing else Epepke.

With a little bit of help from their mothers.
Sex and Society (Bonobos)
And in this one, sex is what makes the difference between violent chimps and peaceable bonobos:
Chimps and Bonobos.

It seems that "make love not war' is not that far off.

The distinction of "violent chimps" and "peaceful bonobos" is an imaginary one. Arguably, chimps might engage in more violence than bonobos (I don't have any numbers on me, but I'll accept it as true for the sake of argument), but it's certainly not true that bonobos are a particularly peaceful culture. They engage in fighting, bullying, and sometimes rip other bonobos limb from limb for otherwise trivial transgressions. The idea that they are "peaceful" comes from the initial observation that sex is often used in their culture as way of easing the tension in the group. As De Waal mentions, when he first wrote about bonobos using "sex for peace" he did not mean for people to infer that this meant bonobos were peaceful, and the entire notion of using sex to settle disputes necessarily implies that disharmony and violence occurs - otherwise what need would there be for peacemaking if they lived in harmony?
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#22  Postby Agrippina » Jun 15, 2011 6:59 am

Sorry, I was being a little flippant there. I know how violent apes can be, and yes, you're right about bonobos.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#23  Postby epepke » Jun 15, 2011 8:21 am

If primate violence be unavoidable, then I'd just as soon have lots of sex, too.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby mraltair » Jun 15, 2011 8:44 am

I like the sound of this world. Even just the removal of the taboos around sex and nudity would make the entire subject more rational and peaceful. Theres nothing wrong with a naked body, a child won't spontaniously combust upon viewing one, it would make mirrors lethal.

I'm all for sex education in schools at whatever age. Children will learn it all at some point and almost everybody outside the vatican does it. I'd rather my kids understand things than be kept in the dark on purpose.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Grace » Jun 15, 2011 2:38 pm

Zwaarddijk: Nope! "preset goal" (?) That never even crossed my consciousness. It takes about 10,000 years for a species to react to an environmental change, thus leading to a possible evolutionary change. I speculate like others do here. Your first two questions were valid and could have been a positive for debate, but I'm not sure why you took the downward spiral to negativity.
Grace

Print view this post

#26  Postby Zwaarddijk » Jun 15, 2011 2:53 pm

So, what evolutionary pressures do we currently face that will make a more relaxed attitude to sex lead to more offspring?
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Juliuseizure » Jun 15, 2011 3:10 pm

Relaxing about sex is like relaxing about capital punishment.

Juliuseizure

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#28  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jun 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Society might be better. Sex would be pretty boring though without all of the desires and feelings attached to it.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Agrippina » Jun 15, 2011 3:48 pm

I wonder about that. How much of it is about magic and mystery, wouldn't being matter-of-fact about it reduce some of what makes it what it is? A little like when you're allowed to drink, it's not that much fun anymore, and you don't get drunk as often.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Juliuseizure » Jun 15, 2011 3:56 pm

Agrippina wrote:A little like when you're allowed to drink, it's not that much fun anymore, and you don't get drunk as often.

I dispute that conjecture. I got drunk the most when I thought there was nothing much wrong with it. Illegal drugs are the larger draw for youthful alpha wannabe's fighting the system (when what they really want to fight is the local powerful man). 95% of prison inmates are male. Alcohol is haram (forbidden) by most dominant Islamic figh (jurisprudence).
Juliuseizure

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Agrippina » Jun 15, 2011 4:34 pm

Just wondering. Forbidden fruit and all that.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 15, 2011 4:36 pm

Just imagine if reproduction was taken out of it. The only function of sex then would be pleasure. Not a bad idea mind. :lol:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Agrippina » Jun 15, 2011 4:39 pm

It would be interesting to see a test.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Agrippina wrote:It would be interesting to see a test.

I think more women would enjoy it more not having to carry and give birth to kids.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Agrippina » Jun 15, 2011 4:48 pm

I dunno, most of the old women I know say "thank god that's over and done with!"
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 15, 2011 5:51 pm

Agrippina wrote:I dunno, most of the old women I know say "thank god that's over and done with!"

Whats over Aggie? Kids or sex?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Agrippina » Jun 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Old women with grown up families, who are no longer able to have babies, what do you think they mean?
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jun 16, 2011 1:50 am

Juliuseizure wrote:Relaxing about sex is like relaxing about capital punishment.

Relaxing about capital punishment as in removing it? Agreed, relaxing about sex is exactly like that. In other words, society moves forward in ethics and civilisation, we mature, and society as a whole benefits from it.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#39  Postby Gallstones » Jun 16, 2011 3:02 am

I don't want to be relaxed about it.
Gallstones

Print view this post

#40  Postby lordshipmayhem » Jun 16, 2011 3:48 am

Gallstones wrote:It's those pesky chemicals--oxytocin, endorphines, testosterone...

...dihydrogenous monoxide...

(Think, people: a hot tub is filled with this chemical!)
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Sociology