What's wrong with people? Deliberately swerve cars to kill

turtles (all the way down)

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

What's wrong with people? Deliberately swerve cars to kill

#1  Postby kennyc » Dec 31, 2012 1:06 pm

Turtles' tough crossing
Using a fake, a student discovered that drivers deliberately hit them.
December 30, 2012|By Jeffrey Collins, Associated Press

Nathan Weaver holds a dummy he is using in his research in an effort to save the poky reptiles. (JEFFREY COLLINS / AP )

CLEMSON, S.C. - Clemson University student Nathan Weaver set out to determine how to help turtles cross the road. He ended up getting a glimpse into the dark souls of some humans.

Weaver put a realistic rubber turtle in the middle of a lane on a busy road near campus. Then he got out of the way and watched over the next hour as seven drivers swerved and deliberately ran over the animal. Several more apparently tried to hit it but missed.

"I've heard of people and from friends who knew people that ran over turtles. But to see it out here like this was a bit shocking," said Weaver, a 22-year-old senior in Clemson's School of Agricultural, Forest and Environmental Sciences.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-12-30/n ... -busy-road

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalv ... them-over/
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: What's wrong with people? Deliberately swerve cars to kill

#2  Postby theropod » Dec 31, 2012 1:47 pm

I read this yesterday in the newspaper. I've seen people do this same disgusting thing myself.

My wife and I often stop and rescue box turtles from the road. Over 20 years ago we stopped on the highway and saved a box turtle. This one had been run over a long time ago and "his" carapace had been cracked and healed. We brought "him" home and released "him" on our property where we now live (we didn't at the time). Last summer this same box turtle made an appearance and he seems in fine health. "He" took a few seedless grapes as a treat, and went about "his" turtle business. Over the years I'd say we have saved over 50 of these harmless beasts, and our property has become somewhat of a box turtle refuge (plenty of land and no overcrowding). I can't really describe how pissed I get when I see a box turtle smashed that's well outside of the normal tire lines and shows clear intent to kill these animals for no defensible reason.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Varangian » Dec 31, 2012 2:13 pm

I divide humanity into those who swerve in order to avoid hitting something living, those who for some reason cannot help running over something, and those who go out of their way to hit a living being. The latter group is a waste of skin.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#4  Postby The_Piper » Dec 31, 2012 2:38 pm

I know it's not really serial killer territory, but it's pretty scary. I wouldn't trust the people who do that, and similar shit, with a single thing. Nothing.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Sociology