Why can't we have a utopia?

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Why can't we have a utopia?

#1  Postby Reeve » Dec 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Probably no one will deny that modern society could be better. And most would probably concede that there are quite a few obvious ways in which society could be improved right now. Yet, it seems to be, that at the suggestion that human civilisation could enjoy some kind of abundant utopia, these claims are often mocked or outright dismissed as being naive, unrealistic and the proponent as merely being a dreamer that most likely doesn't understand "how the world actually" works.

My question is: Why exactly can't humans expect to live or enjoy a utopia? Why can a utopia never be achieved - perhaps even in principle?

And what's your evidence for your answers to those questions?

:coffee:
Cito wrote:Reeve is a daily reality for girls. I don't know what this implies.

archibald wrote:I don't take Reeve seriously. I don't think he takes himself seriously.
Reeve

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Why can't we have a utopia?

#2  Postby Animavore » Dec 13, 2012 6:10 pm

Oh we do. It's just you're not allowed into it and everything you see around you, the suffering, the misery, Justin Bieber... etc is there for the soul purpose of torturing you and you alone. In fact...

Oops! :silenced:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Dec 13, 2012 6:12 pm

Serious answer.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOi6v5DD_1M[/youtube]
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Reeve » Dec 13, 2012 6:24 pm

:lol: Agent Smith makes lots of basic mistakes of biology in just 1 minute and 19 seconds...

archibald wrote:I don't take Reeve seriously. I don't think he takes himself seriously.
Reeve

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby laklak » Dec 13, 2012 7:49 pm

Because the majority of humans are dicks.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Sovereign » Dec 13, 2012 7:51 pm

Everyone's version of utopia is different so who's utopia would you implement?
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Doubtdispelled » Dec 13, 2012 7:53 pm

laklak wrote:Because the majority of humans are dicks.

:what: I thought it was around 50%?

Other than that, if we lived in a utopia we wouldn't know it was a utopia because it would be a utopia.......
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Reeve » Dec 13, 2012 8:04 pm

Sovereign wrote:Everyone's version of utopia is different so who's utopia would you implement?

A bit of inane question. :eh: I would be thinking along the lines of something like where everyone has access to what they need (including healthcare and education) and what you could reasonably expect to want i.e. maximised quality of life and happiness for the greatest number of people possible. I thought this would be simple stuff :lol:

Reeve

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Reeve » Dec 13, 2012 8:07 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:

Other than that, if we lived in a utopia we wouldn't know it was a utopia because it would be a utopia.......

:think:

... what? :confused:

Reeve

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Clive Durdle » Dec 13, 2012 8:17 pm

Isn't it an utopia?.......
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Doubtdispelled » Dec 13, 2012 8:27 pm

Reeve wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:

Simples really, Reeve. If you've never been unhappy, you won't understand what it is to be miserable. If you've never been in pain, you won't appreciate being without pain.

Ergo, if you always live in a utopia, you won't be able to recognise it as such because you won't know any different.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#12  Postby Sovereign » Dec 13, 2012 8:30 pm

Reeve wrote:
Sovereign wrote:Everyone's version of utopia is different so who's utopia would you implement?

A bit of inane question. :eh: I would be thinking along the lines of something like where everyone has access to what they need (including healthcare and education) and what you could reasonably expect to want i.e. maximised quality of life and happiness for the greatest number of people possible. I thought this would be simple stuff :lol:

Not really. In your second to last sentence you state what I was aiming at. Not everyone will be happy with the "utopia" they're in. As a result those who are unhappy will want to be happy and then disrupt the "utopia". What maximizes happiness for one doesn't always maximize happiness for all.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Reeve » Dec 13, 2012 8:31 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:
Reeve wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:

Simples really, Reeve. If you've never been unhappy, you won't understand what it is to be miserable. If you've never been in pain, you won't appreciate being without pain.

Ergo, if you always live in a utopia, you won't be able to recognise it as such because you won't know any different.

Are you working towards a point here? :ask:

By the way, I think that's nonsense: I don't need to experience trapping my leg in a bear trap to feel pity for someone who does.

Reeve

Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby Doubtdispelled » Dec 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:Isn't it an utopia?.......
No, Clive.
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-%22A%22-and- ... -Correctly
When u makes the same sound as the y in you, or o makes the same sound as w in won, then a is used.

But I think they mean 'one' and not 'won'. :ask:

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#15  Postby Reeve » Dec 13, 2012 8:39 pm

Sovereign wrote:
Reeve wrote:

Not really. In your second to last sentence you state what I was aiming at. Not everyone will be happy with the "utopia" they're in. As a result those who are unhappy will want to be happy and then disrupt the "utopia". What maximizes happiness for one doesn't always maximize happiness for all.

Maybe so but I think such people would be in an extreme minority. There's some basic things that I think everyone can agree on. For example there would be no argument that we'd be better off without things like this:

Image Image

And those are just two things I decided to google

Reeve

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Reeve » Dec 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Are you saying humans are innately "dicks" or would you concede that it may because of the current society that they are that way?

Also, what the heck do you mean? :lol:

Reeve

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby Doubtdispelled » Dec 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Reeve wrote:Are you working towards a point here?
Well, yeah. In short, there is no such thing as utopia. As sovereign says
Sovereign wrote:What maximizes happiness for one doesn't always maximize happiness for all.

Reeve wrote:By the way, I think that's nonsense: I don't need to experience trapping my leg in a bear trap to feel pity for someone who does.
And I'm not talking about feeling anything for anyone else. I'm talking about personal feelings.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#18  Postby Reeve » Dec 13, 2012 8:47 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:
Reeve wrote:Are you working towards a point here?
Well, yeah. In short, there is no such thing as utopia. As sovereign says
Sovereign wrote:What maximizes happiness for one doesn't always maximize happiness for all.

Reeve wrote:By the way, I think that's nonsense: I don't need to experience trapping my leg in a bear trap to feel pity for someone who does.
And I'm not talking about feeling anything for anyone else. I'm talking about personal feelings.

Do you really believe that if you were happy all the time, you wouldn't realise that you were happy? Happiness is going to feel good regardless of whether you've experienced something bad.

You might as well say that you can't appreciate anger if you've never been calm. :roll:

Reeve

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby Precambrian Rabbi » Dec 13, 2012 8:53 pm

I'm not sure I'm convinced by the "we all want different things" argument. Sure, an absolute utopia that was heavenly for every member is impossible, but I think we can arrive at sufficient consensus to create a loose target to get the ball rolling at; peace, universal access to sustenance, freedom from tyranny etc.

These things, it seems to me, are not beyond the capability of humankind, even if they are beyond its collective will.
"...religion may attract good people but it doesn't produce them. And it draws in a lot of hateful nutjobs too..." AronRa
Precambrian Rabbi

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Doubtdispelled » Dec 13, 2012 8:56 pm

Reeve wrote:Do you really believe that if you were happy all the time, you wouldn't realise that you were happy?
Yep.
Reeve wrote:You might as well say that you can't appreciate anger if you've never been calm.
Yep.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

Next

Return to Sociology