Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

Is this the future of the developed world?

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#1  Postby Sovereign » Oct 26, 2013 2:23 am

Japan's under-40s appear to be losing interest in conventional relationships. Millions aren't even dating, and increasing numbers can't be bothered with sex. For their government, "celibacy syndrome" is part of a looming national catastrophe. Japan already has one of the world's lowest birth rates. Its population of 126 million, which has been shrinking for the past decade, is projected to plunge a further one-third by 2060. Aoyama believes the country is experiencing "a flight from human intimacy" – and it's partly the government's fault.


Is Japan providing a glimpse of all our futures? Many of the shifts there are occurring in other advanced nations, too. Across urban Asia, Europe and America, people are marrying later or not at all, birth rates are falling, single-occupant households are on the rise and, in countries where economic recession is worst, young people are living at home. But demographer Nicholas Eberstadt argues that a distinctive set of factors is accelerating these trends in Japan. These factors include the lack of a religious authority that ordains marriage and family, the country's precarious earthquake-prone ecology that engenders feelings of futility, and the high cost of living and raising children.

Entire article here
Sovereign
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 2989
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#2  Postby DougC » Oct 26, 2013 3:04 am

To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC
 
Posts: 14578
Age: 48
Male

Country: UNITED Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#3  Postby I'm With Stupid » Oct 26, 2013 6:06 am


I read this one, and it didn't seem to me like evidence of a lack of desire for sex or relationships, just a lack of ability to form relationships with the opposite (and possibly the same) sex.

I watch a regular Japan-based channel on Youtube and the bloke who presents it says that even the couples you do see in Japan never seem that close. They maybe see each other twice a week but otherwise will hang out with their own friends. Interestingly, he suggested that even friendships in Japan often aren't as close as they are in other countries. From what I've read, Japan also has this culture of everyone having to do something all the time to occupy their time. So if you learn judo, for example, you do it every night.
Image
User avatar
I'm With Stupid
 
Posts: 9632
Age: 36
Male

Country: Malaysia
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#4  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 26, 2013 11:58 am

"work, work, work, work, 'til your life is gone" - David Byrne
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 9221
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#5  Postby Ironclad » Oct 26, 2013 12:13 pm

Declining numbers of our species can only be a good thing, we are vicious and evil creatures who will consume the planet at any cost. Unfortunately modern economics (for want of better words) does not allow for small numbers, AFAIK, so Japan will import strangers from countries who's numbers are ballooning out of control.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
User avatar
Ironclad
RS Donator
 
Name: Nudge-Nudge
Posts: 23925
Age: 52
Male

Country: Wink-Wink
Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Re: Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#6  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Ironclad wrote:Declining numbers of our species can only be a good thing, we are vicious and evil creatures who will consume the planet at any cost. Unfortunately modern economics (for want of better words) does not allow for small numbers, AFAIK, so Japan will import strangers from countries who's numbers are ballooning out of control.

Japan's got a population of 120,000,000 or so - I'm sure they could stand to loos a few millions and still put sushi on the coffee table :think:


The documentary is up on iPlayerfor the UK peeps.

What I find creepy is it all seems a bit borderline paedophilic - this 40 year old guy has a 15 year old virtual girlfriend etc. Maybe all those powerful japanese business women with their sparkling careers are just a bit, erm, masculine for them.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 9221
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#7  Postby Sovereign » Oct 26, 2013 2:50 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Ironclad wrote:Declining numbers of our species can only be a good thing, we are vicious and evil creatures who will consume the planet at any cost. Unfortunately modern economics (for want of better words) does not allow for small numbers, AFAIK, so Japan will import strangers from countries who's numbers are ballooning out of control.

Japan's got a population of 120,000,000 or so - I'm sure they could stand to loos a few millions and still put sushi on the coffee table :think:


The documentary is up on iPlayerfor the UK peeps.

What I find creepy is it all seems a bit borderline paedophilic - this 40 year old guy has a 15 year old virtual girlfriend etc. Maybe all those powerful japanese business women with their sparkling careers are just a bit, erm, masculine for them.


Different culture over there. They sexualize women in their mid teens. You'll see posters of the latest J-pop girl group, all in their mid teens, in outfits and poses that are reserved for older women here. Different countries have different have different taboo norms regarding that.

On the population decline, I agree that the planet could use less humans, either by population decline or emigration off planet but a population decline would cause chaos. We'll start to see it in Japan soon. As education levels increase, we'll see a stabilization of the world's population but I'm not so sure it will plateau. I feel like it will reach a maximum (predicted to be 10 billion) then drop. Is the human psyche able to handle that?
Sovereign
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 2989
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#8  Postby Ironclad » Oct 26, 2013 3:06 pm

" a population decline would cause chaos." How so?
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
User avatar
Ironclad
RS Donator
 
Name: Nudge-Nudge
Posts: 23925
Age: 52
Male

Country: Wink-Wink
Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Re: Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#9  Postby Sovereign » Oct 26, 2013 3:12 pm

Our society isn't set up for it and never has been. We'll get to a point where those of working age will be in short supply compared to those alive. This will collapse our current economic model, which will cause chaos.
Sovereign
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 2989
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#10  Postby Ironclad » Oct 26, 2013 3:17 pm

Pretty much my thinking, if we up-scale the current issues in 'The West'. Perhaps we have mud huts & wooden clubs to look forward to*.


* a 1000 years of simple living might not be so bad though, for the Earth.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
User avatar
Ironclad
RS Donator
 
Name: Nudge-Nudge
Posts: 23925
Age: 52
Male

Country: Wink-Wink
Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Re: Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#11  Postby Greyman » Oct 27, 2013 5:33 am

Ironclad wrote:" a population decline would cause chaos." How so?

"Aging population." As birth rates decline and longevity increases, the age distribution is pushed towards retirement. Fewer young workers, more social service requirements. The economy will need to adjust to a new equilibrium, or it will crash,
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." - T. Tick.
User avatar
Greyman
 
Name: Graham
Posts: 493
Age: 53

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#12  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Oct 27, 2013 10:30 am

Sovereign wrote:Our society isn't set up for it and never has been. We'll get to a point where those of working age will be in short supply compared to those alive. This will collapse our current economic model, which will cause chaos.

Or force us to adopt a new economic model.
Also available on Rationalia

Image
User avatar
Horwood Beer-Master
 
Name: Ian
Posts: 2186
Age: 39

Country: England
England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#13  Postby Goldenmane » Oct 27, 2013 10:39 am

Greyman wrote:
Ironclad wrote:" a population decline would cause chaos." How so?

"Aging population." As birth rates decline and longevity increases, the age distribution is pushed towards retirement. Fewer young workers, more social service requirements. The economy will need to adjust to a new equilibrium, or it will crash,


Fewer young, more old?

The young demand a premium, become the elite.

Then more people have kids.

Rinse, repeat.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
User avatar
Goldenmane
 
Posts: 2383

Print view this post

Re: Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#14  Postby Boyle » Oct 29, 2013 12:25 am

Man, I bet Malthus never thought that people would simply stop having sex with each other. That'd throw him through a loop.

If you look at birth rates, Western Europe appears to be having a problem with this anyway, though not due to the same mechanism. A way to handle a declining population is to incentivize having children through tax breaks or something similar, while also disincentivizing having more than the replacement rate. Or by encouraging an aggressive immigration program, or something similar. It's not like the entirety of the world's population is declining, only specific countries.
Boyle
 
Posts: 1632

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#15  Postby laklak » Oct 29, 2013 2:58 am

I blame the popularity of tentacle porn and the resultant sense of inferiority engendered in Japanese men.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20878
Age: 67
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#16  Postby I'm With Stupid » Oct 29, 2013 11:13 am

Keep It Real wrote:What I find creepy is it all seems a bit borderline paedophilic - this 40 year old guy has a 15 year old virtual girlfriend etc. Maybe all those powerful japanese business women with their sparkling careers are just a bit, erm, masculine for them.

But it seems like men who've never had any relationship, so maturity-wise, they still see themselves as a teenage boy after a girl the same age. They seem to be men that are intimidated by any women, never mind confident, successful ones, so it's not a surprise that they go towards the least threatening relationship they can imagine.
Image
User avatar
I'm With Stupid
 
Posts: 9632
Age: 36
Male

Country: Malaysia
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#17  Postby SkyMutt » Nov 01, 2013 11:13 pm

A response to the story in The Guardian from William Pesek: "The Lust Beneath Japan's Sex Drought"

. . . I've come to doubt sensationalist surveys suggesting young Japanese don't have sex. The real issue is that many avoid traditional, committed relationships out of doubts about the future that [are] based on economics rather than culture. If low libido were strictly societal, why do the Czech Republic, Poland, Singapore, South Korea, Spain and Taiwan have fertility rates as low as Japan's? I don't see the global media characterizing those countries as sexless freak shows spiraling toward extinction.
Serious, but not entirely serious.

"The charm of a man is measured by the charm of the women who think he is a scoundrel."
— H. L. Mencken
User avatar
SkyMutt
 
Posts: 851
Age: 62
Male

Country: United States
Print view this post

Re: Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#18  Postby gib » Nov 02, 2013 12:06 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:What I find creepy is it all seems a bit borderline paedophilic - this 40 year old guy has a 15 year old virtual girlfriend etc. Maybe all those powerful japanese business women with their sparkling careers are just a bit, erm, masculine for them.

But it seems like men who've never had any relationship, so maturity-wise, they still see themselves as a teenage boy after a girl the same age. They seem to be men that are intimidated by any women, never mind confident, successful ones, so it's not a surprise that they go towards the least threatening relationship they can imagine.


this is about right but i know a guy like this and there's also an element of holding out for the perfect woman.

now, if you're from the generation where your perfect woman is based on something you saw in Razzle this is not such a big deal. these days they're spoilt and hey you know what, i remember when it was all fields around here
User avatar
gib
 
Name: gib
Posts: 508
Male

Country: England
England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Why Have Young People In Japan Stopped Having Sex?

#19  Postby gib » Nov 02, 2013 12:08 am

also, who the fuck were the adults who used to leave those copies of razzle in hedges
User avatar
gib
 
Name: gib
Posts: 508
Male

Country: England
England (eng)
Print view this post


Return to Sociology

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest