Why the need for drama?

Watching TV shows

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Why the need for drama?

#1  Postby Adco » Oct 30, 2014 8:56 pm

Why do we need this drama? TV shows like Criminals Minds and Chicago Fire? To name but a few of the shows that are becoming so dramatic in nature. Do we need to "see" and "live" this on demand? What drives this need? Somewhere there is an evolutionary mechanism driving this need. I want to understand it and try and come to terms with it.

My partner thrives on it. I can't handle it. I don't need to see people being mutilated and their body parts sold over the Internet. Why drives us to watch this kind of crap? I know it is a personal choice but I am more interested in the psychology behind it.

It is similar to watching wrestling. I used to watch WWF until it got to the stage where the bosses were marrying and sleeping with their in-laws, aunties and grannies. Is that crap still on?

Where the fuck are we heading when we need such drama to make us fall asleep? It seems that we allow ourselves to be numbed so that we can fit into everyday life and still remain sane.

Argh!
god must love stupid people - he made so many of them
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Why the need for drama?

#2  Postby kennyc » Oct 30, 2014 9:33 pm

Because: survival!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Ironclad » Oct 31, 2014 1:54 am

You should try and sit through UK soaps. Everyone is angry, huffing and puffing, distressed or moody ..at all times. I was told one time that they are really made for folk who don't get out much.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#4  Postby NuclMan » Oct 31, 2014 2:07 am

Because they invoke emotion, touch the heart, bla bla bla. Movies are no different these days. Very little of pop entertainment challenges the consumer to think.
NuclMan

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Steve » Oct 31, 2014 3:35 am

I haven't a clue what you are talking about as I bought a kindle. :coffee:
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Calilasseia » Oct 31, 2014 5:47 am

We're a storytelling species. See: David Attenborough's Life On Earth, which devotes a chapter to humans called The Compulsive Communicators. Which was compiled before the existence of the Internet.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 31, 2014 9:08 am

Because it's a win/win for the audience, if something dramatic is happening we get a visceral reaction, plus the feeling that there are some people (even if they are fictional) who have it worse than us.
Then, when and if the drama get's resolved, we get emotional gratificiation and the feeling that everything turns out all right in the end.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Adco » Oct 31, 2014 9:46 am

I'm really complaining about the "over the top" aspect to the content. Some of the content is horrific. Selling limbs, buying limbs etc. It just seems that the people producing the series are having to get more and more extreme in the story lines to satisfy the audience.

I watched Criminal Minds the other night. There was a guy buying limbs that he had a fetish for. They caught him but then had to go after the guy that was cutting the limbs off the victims and selling them to the highest bidder over the internet. How sick is that? And some of us watch that with relish. ;) I had bad dreams after watching that episode.

I wonder where it's going to be like is 5 or 10 years time. Today's audiences will get used to the present content and demand more radical content. The series producers are going to try and out do their opposition and make their content more radical. It's going to get worse, guaranteed.

I know, if I don't like it, don't watch it. Not so easy. We watch TV in bed and my partner is addicted to these shows. I'm just trying to understand the whole set up.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#9  Postby BlackBart » Oct 31, 2014 12:03 pm

Adco wrote:
I wonder where it's going to be like is 5 or 10 years time. Today's audiences will get used to the present content and demand more radical content. The series producers are going to try and out do their opposition and make their content more radical. It's going to get worse, guaranteed.

Well seeings as we had such movies as 'I Spit On Your Grave' and 'Cannibal Holocaust' for around 35 years and there's been nothing that's any more violent or 'radical' than those movies has ever appeared in that time. I'm not sure 'it's going to get worse' claim can be supported.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Adco » Oct 31, 2014 12:08 pm

BlackBart wrote:
Adco wrote:

Well seeings as we had such movies as 'I Spit On Your Grave' and 'Cannibal Holocaust' for around 35 years and there's been nothing that's any more violent or 'radical' than those movies has ever appeared in that time. I'm not sure 'it's going to get worse' claim can be supported.
You are correct, however I was thinking more in the lines of TV shows as opposed to movies. I know it's a subtle difference but the trend for TV shows becoming more radical seems, to me, to be growing.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Animavore » Oct 31, 2014 12:13 pm

BlackBart wrote:
Adco wrote:

:this:

Movies are, for the most part, more conservative now than they were in the 70s. Incredibly violent movies never do that well except among a small, cult following.

Programmes recieve acclaim, not by being more extreme, but by doing something different. Recently TV shows like Game of Thrones have wowed audiences, not by being extreme, not even in its brutality, but by turning expectations on their head. It is its unpredictability that makes it so gripping and shocking. Not it's sporadic bursts of violence. And the sex in that show, something HBO's producers insist on, are actually a minor annoyance a lot of the time and people can recognise that it doesn't serve the plot at all.

I would more predict shows become more inventive than become more extreme.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Animavore » Oct 31, 2014 12:16 pm

Adco wrote:
BlackBart wrote:
Adco wrote:

You are correct, however I was thinking more in the lines of TV shows as opposed to movies. I know it's a subtle difference but the trend for TV shows becoming more radical seems, to me, to be growing.

Give example here. I'm not seeing much in the way of radical TV at all. I'd love to see these shows you're talking about.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Adco » Oct 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Animavore wrote:
Adco wrote:
BlackBart wrote:
Adco wrote:

Give example here. I'm not seeing much in the way of radical TV at all. I'd love to see these shows you're talking about.
Criminal Minds. I watched it this week and I thought that it was drama to the extreme for a TV show. Buying limbs and killing people to supply the need for those limbs.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Adco » Oct 31, 2014 12:35 pm

I guess that I am being over sensitive in my outlook. This is the level of TV shows nowadays and I just have to accept it. I just feel that the show producers have to keep coming up with bigger drama every time to please the audiences. I find it disturbing to watch these type of TV shows where limbs are chopped off and sold over the internet to the highest bidder. To me, that is sick and I don't need that in my life. There, I've said it. Finish and klaar.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Return to Sociology