Why We Care About Other People’s Sex Lives

A new study looks at the evolutionary psychology behind our ideas of sexual morality.

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Why We Care About Other People’s Sex Lives

#1  Postby Sovereign » Jul 23, 2014 3:40 am

Here’s a loaded question: Is casual sex immoral?

From Hester Prynne to Hobby Lobby, from our dorm-mates to our politicians, it’s an issue that’s sparked more than its fair share of fiery public debate (after all, we Americans are a judge-y people). A recent study done by researchers at Cornell and New York University summed it up this way: Casual sex is psychologically good for you if you if think it’s acceptable, but not if you don’t.

So the answer, clearly, depends on who’s being asked—but odds are that either way, they won’t feel tepid about it.

Your answer may depend, at least in part, on where your money comes from (if you’re a woman) or where it goes (if you’re a man). At least, that’s the argument of a paper recently published in The Archives of Sexual Behavior, which found that promiscuity—by both men and women—is more likely to be considered a moral violation in places where women are economically dependent on men.

Source
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Why We Care About Other People’s Sex Lives

#2  Postby scott1328 » Jul 23, 2014 4:17 am

:yawn:
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Rumraket » Nov 13, 2014 2:43 pm

I honestly don't care about "other people's sex lives" other than in the sense that, with some certain people, I want to participate.

Besides that I don't care and never did.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#4  Postby Arnold Layne » Nov 13, 2014 5:50 pm

Rumraket wrote:I honestly don't care about "other people's sex lives" other than in the sense that, with some certain people, I want to participate.

:this:
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby dochmbi » Sep 07, 2016 10:02 pm

I'm curious about this one thing, but don't necessarily want to start a whole new thread for it. I'd like to see statistics for people having sex, separted by country, gender and age. How many partners? How often?

My hunch here is that results for women will be more similar, while results for men will vary significantly. Something like sea lions where most males never reproduce and then there's the few alphas who do so massively.

Basically I want to know the extent of access-to-sex inequality in humans.
dochmbi

Name: Max

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 07, 2016 11:44 pm

Arnold Layne wrote:
Rumraket wrote:I honestly don't care about "other people's sex lives" other than in the sense that, with some certain people, I want to participate.

:this:

These.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby jamest » Sep 08, 2016 12:32 am

It's not all sordid. We learn about ourselves and what we want, even from each other, in all walks of life. I don't think that any great shame should ensue from having an interest in other peoples' sexual preferences and activities. Indeed, I think that tolerance [of those things we choose not to want/do] demands that of us, as much as tolerance of any other aspect of life would do. So, I wouldn't necessarily boast about having no interest in other peoples' sex lives. I think the issue is more complicated than meets the eye.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby tuco » Sep 08, 2016 4:43 am

From the article:

The participants, all Americans ...

Why Americans Care .. would be more appropriate

“Through moralizing,” the researchers wrote, “individuals can promote behavior which serves their own personal and coalitional interests.” Back in the day, judgment was a form of defense.

No kidding, news at 11 ;)

A third of Americans told Gallup last month that they don’t believe in premarital sex—even though, as Emma Green recently noted, 95 percent of Americans were doing it as of 2006.

Don't believe in? lol So the question was: Do you believe in premarital sex? lol Researchers

So, again: Is casual sex immoral? The answer may change with place and time, but judging other people’s sex lives remains an act as innately human as sex itself.

Judging is innately human, for the reason stated earlier.
tuco

Print view this post

Return to Sociology