Why we should not use gendered pronouns

An argument against gendered pronouns; criticism welcome

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Why we should not use gendered pronouns

#61  Postby Beatsong » Oct 03, 2014 7:41 pm

orpheus wrote:
laklak wrote:@Beat - yeah I agree that we need a better gender-neutral pronoun than "they", particularly in the writing examples you mentioned. I hate reading "he/she", I get truly annoyed with that. But then again "ze", "zir" and the like also annoy the shit out of me.


Yeah, I also agree here. The lack of a gender-neutral pronoun can make speaking awkward, and it's a real pain in the ass when writing. But I think the key is that it should be an option; I don't think we should eliminate the use of gendered pronouns. Here I disagree with Jake and the title of the thread. In fact, if the point of language is to "control" the flow of information, I fail to see how eliminating options serves that purpose.


Yes, I only noticed on rereading it that Jake was actually arguing against keeping the gender-specific pronouns at all. I don't agree with that - I think there should be either option. Although we might find that the number of cases in which it's relevant to specify the gender is remarkably few.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
User avatar
Beatsong
 
Posts: 7007

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Why we should not use gendered pronouns

#62  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 03, 2014 7:43 pm

scott1328 wrote:The in-law of your in-law, is NOT your in-law

The in-law relationship is reflexive, but not transitive.



Talking grammar makes me hot.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 25904
Age: 43
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Why we should not use gendered pronouns

#63  Postby Beatsong » Oct 03, 2014 7:44 pm

laklak wrote:I'm turning into a curmudgeonly old git.


LOL. At least you've got the grace to admit it.

So join the club. You, me and Orpheus should make a date with our pipes and slippers, and find time to properly lament the fact that Things Ain't Wot They Used To Be, and The Young People Today Have No Respect. :thumbup:
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
User avatar
Beatsong
 
Posts: 7007

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Why we should not use gendered pronouns

#64  Postby Beatsong » Oct 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Spearthrower wrote:Talking grammar makes me hot.


You need to get out more.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
User avatar
Beatsong
 
Posts: 7007

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Why we should not use gendered pronouns

#65  Postby Emmeline » Oct 03, 2014 7:57 pm

Beatsong wrote:
laklak wrote:I'm turning into a curmudgeonly old git.


LOL. At least you've got the grace to admit it.

So join the club. You, me and Orpheus should make a date with our pipes and slippers, and find time to properly lament the fact that Things Ain't Wot They Used To Be, and The Young People Today Have No Respect. :thumbup:


I'll join all 3 of you (but minus the pipe!). I realised I'd turned into my Dad when I shouted at someone on the TV & into my Mum when I found my phone in the fridge. :oops:

I like gendered pronouns & can't see a strong enough argument for dispensing with them.
Emmeline
 
Posts: 10401

Print view this post

Re: Why we should not use gendered pronouns

#66  Postby scott1328 » Oct 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
scott1328 wrote:The in-law of your in-law, is NOT your in-law

The in-law relationship is reflexive, but not transitive.



Talking grammar makes me hot.

Not grammar really, more like discrete mathematics. But you can leave a dollar on the nightstand if you like.
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8575
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Why we should not use gendered pronouns

#67  Postby hackenslash » Oct 03, 2014 10:03 pm

Spearthrower wrote:Talking grammar makes me hot.


You misspelled 'grandma'...

:hide:
User avatar
hackenslash
 
Name: The Other Sweary One
Posts: 21437
Age: 50
Male

Country: Republic of Mancunia
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Why we should not use gendered pronouns

#68  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 03, 2014 10:15 pm

scott1328 wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
scott1328 wrote:The in-law of your in-law, is NOT your in-law

The in-law relationship is reflexive, but not transitive.



Talking grammar makes me hot.

Not grammar really, more like discrete mathematics. But you can leave a dollar on the nightstand if you like.


You said 'transitive', don't play coy with me! :naughty2:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 25904
Age: 43
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Why we should not use gendered pronouns

#69  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 03, 2014 10:18 pm

Beatsong wrote:
laklak wrote:I'm turning into a curmudgeonly old git.


LOL. At least you've got the grace to admit it.

So join the club. You, me and Orpheus should make a date with our pipes and slippers, and find time to properly lament the fact that Things Ain't Wot They Used To Be, and The Young People Today Have No Respect. :thumbup:



Grandmas aint what they used to be. Times were when a grandma was a proper little corker, all dressed up in her frilies, cheeks rosy as a summer blossom. Not like today, no sir. It's all blue rinse and hair netting... hair netting! When I was a lad we'd have used t'netting to catch worms for supper!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 25904
Age: 43
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Why we should not use gendered pronouns

#70  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 03, 2014 10:20 pm

Emmeline wrote:

I'll join all 3 of you (but minus the pipe!). I realised I'd turned into my Dad when I shouted at someone on the TV & into my Mum when I found my phone in the fridge. :oops:


At least when you turn into your grandma and shout at someone on the TV for leaving your phone in the fridge, you'll be too far gone to notice it!

Funny in a sadly all too true way! But you've got to laugh! :)
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 25904
Age: 43
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Sociology

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest