"Women are unlikely to own up to their true desires..."

What do women want?

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: "Women are unlikely to own up to their true desires..."

#101  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 11, 2014 11:13 am

No need to fight over me girls, plenty to go around. :coffee:

Bah, feckin' pagination. Always breaks the 'flow'...
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#102  Postby Scarlett » Mar 11, 2014 11:16 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:I stole your menstrual life-force!

You'd be fecking welcome to it :waah:

Stealing my life force would be the only way you'd have a chance at MY crown... :coffee:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#103  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 15, 2014 1:23 pm

I'd just like to apologise for my angry, stupid, offensive posts in this thread. I'm not entirely sure what came over me - I was drunk, but that's no excuse really. I do still think female infidelity is slightly worse than male infidelity, but I would never in a clear mind equate consensual, honest female promiscuity with derogatory labels such as slut and slag. So sorry again. I hope the forum members can forgive me.
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#104  Postby Reeve » Mar 15, 2014 2:34 pm

Ooooh are you trying to pull out KIR? :mrgreen:

:dopey:
Cito wrote:Reeve is a daily reality for girls. I don't know what this implies.

archibald wrote:I don't take Reeve seriously. I don't think he takes himself seriously.
Reeve

Male

Print view this post

#105  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 15, 2014 2:52 pm

Stop prodding me Reeve, or I might see red :clap:
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#106  Postby Fallible » Mar 15, 2014 8:38 pm

As I've said before, I think the harmful part of infidelity is the secrecy and lies, not the sleeping with different people. I don't know what would make women more forgiving of lies and men less so, although I can think of a couple of things. The sleeping with different people as "wrong" viewpoint I don't think I've seen much outside of religion. Lying as "wrong", yes, I've seen that everywhere.
Sorry that you think you had it rough in the first world.
You ought to get out of that sooner than later.
Knowledge has turned into a trap; you have to slow down.
Get out of your head and spend less time alone.
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#107  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 15, 2014 9:03 pm

Fallible wrote:
I think the harmful part of infidelity is the secrecy and lies, not the sleeping with different people. I don't know what would make women more forgiving of lies and men less so, although I can think of a couple of things. The sleeping with different people as wrong viewpoint I don't think I've seen much outside of religion. Lying as wrong, yes, I've seen that everywhere

Given that the lying only comes about to deny the infidelity I fail to see why you regard it as being worse. Why are women more forgiving than men ? The answer to that you already know. Namely biology and psychology. I hasten to add that this is
a generalisation however and as we are talking about a significant demographic here then the errors of margin should be as
wide as possible. I very strongly disagree with your notion of infidelity as being predominant to religion. The lying however
I do agree with. That is indeed universal or as close to as can be now
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#108  Postby Fallible » Mar 15, 2014 9:18 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
Fallible wrote:
I think the harmful part of infidelity is the secrecy and lies, not the sleeping with different people. I don't know what would make women more forgiving of lies and men less so, although I can think of a couple of things. The sleeping with different people as wrong viewpoint I don't think I've seen much outside of religion. Lying as wrong, yes, I've seen that everywhere

Given that the lying only comes about to deny the infidelity I fail to see why you regard it as being worse.

Because lying withholds information the partner should be in possession of, information which affects their life and health, and curtails their ability to make choices connected to those things if they are not in possession of it.

Why are women more forgiving than men ? The answer to that you already know. Namely biology and psychology. I hasten to add that this is a generalisation however and as we are talking about a significant demographic here then the errors of margin should be as wide as possible.

13% of the men out of 2,000 people asked and 40-odd % of the women didn't feel the way that we are expected to accept ''men'' and ''women'' feel, so that's a fair sized chunk of people who don't fit your generalisation. Therefore there must be other factors besides the two you claim explain it.

I very strongly disagree with your notion of infidelity as being predominant to religion.

That's probably because that wasn't my notion. I very clearly said ''sleeping with different people", not infidelity. I am saying that the notion of sleeping with lots of people being wrong seems to come largely from religion.

The lying however I do agree with. That is indeed universal or as close to as can be now

Given that, your first comment seems to be in error.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#109  Postby jamest » Mar 15, 2014 9:24 pm

Fallible wrote:I am saying that the notion of sleeping with lots of people being wrong seems to come largely from religion.

I don't think that's true. Many (most?) people naturally tend towards seeing partners as theirs. I think it happens a lot in the animal kingdom, too.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#110  Postby Scarlett » Mar 15, 2014 9:35 pm

jamest wrote:
Fallible wrote:I am saying that the notion of sleeping with lots of people being wrong seems to come largely from religion.

I don't think that's true. Many (most?) people naturally tend towards seeing partners as theirs. I think it happens a lot in the animal kingdom, too.

I don't think Fall specifically means sleeping with lots of people while in a relationship that is understood to be monogamous, although she can clarify this herself.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#111  Postby jamest » Mar 15, 2014 9:38 pm

Oh, she means casual sex. I see.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#112  Postby Nicko » Mar 16, 2014 12:33 am

Yes, but why do religions prohibit it?

It seems clear to me that there were advantages gained by this normative value when it developed. I don't think that religion is the source of the value; rather religion prevents people from questioning the utility of that value now that changing circumstances - contraception, financial independence of women, etc. - have made it more or less obsolete.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Fallible » Mar 17, 2014 1:20 am

Scarlett wrote:
jamest wrote:

I don't think Fall specifically means sleeping with lots of people while in a relationship that is understood to be monogamous, although she can clarify this herself.

Indeed, in fact I explicitly stated in the part that james snipped that I wasn't talking about infidelity.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#114  Postby laklak » Mar 17, 2014 3:34 am

Just checking in. Have we figured out what women want yet?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#115  Postby LucidFlight » Mar 17, 2014 3:41 am

laklak wrote:Just checking in. Have we figured out what women want yet?

Women want to submit to their feminine desires, but Western feminist ideology does not permit them to do so. Just ask my partner, Maybelline — uh, I mean, Maxine... or was it Madeline? :think:
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#116  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 17, 2014 7:56 am

Fallible wrote:
I explicitly stated in the part that james snipped that I was not talking about infidelity

I thought you were for some reason. In that case then women should be as free as men to have as many sexual partners
as they choose. There should be zero discrimination in that respect. As long as they are responsible consenting adults
then there is nothing wrong in principle with that. Cultural sensitivities that pronounce judgement upon women for
being promiscuous are benevolently sexist at least and blatantly misogynistic at worst and I reject them completely
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#117  Postby THWOTH » Mar 17, 2014 8:49 am

LucidFlight wrote:
laklak wrote:Just checking in. Have we figured out what women want yet?

Women want to submit to their feminine desires, but Western feminist ideology does not permit them to do so. Just ask my partner, Maybelline — uh, I mean, Maxine... or was it Madeline? :think:

"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#118  Postby TMB » Mar 17, 2014 10:18 am

surreptitious57 wrote:
Fallible wrote:
I explicitly stated in the part that james snipped that I was not talking about infidelity

I thought you were for some reason. In that case then women should be as free as men to have as many sexual partners
as they choose. There should be zero discrimination in that respect. As long as they are responsible consenting adults
then there is nothing wrong in principle with that. Cultural sensitivities that pronounce judgement upon women for
being promiscuous are benevolently sexist at least and blatantly misogynistic at worst and I reject them completely

I do not see how you can judge female promiscuity the same as for males given the obvious different tendencies of the genders. There is certainly social pressure that judges omen more harshly but to my mind men and women are biologically less inclined to be promiscuous except in exceptional circumstances. For example homosexual males appear to revel in casual sex more than females. In western countries like Australia public toilets, sand dunes get filled with gay men looking for very casual hookups, but I have never seen of or heard gay women being a problem to the extent gay men. Women who are inclined to be indiscriminately promiscuous are in the profession of prostitutes, where for obvious reasons they sleep with a large number of men who are prepared to pay for impersonal, anonymous sex. There does not appear to be the same demand for male prostitutes by women who are just looking for quick sex. Women who are selectively promiscuous are groupies, where they are prepared to sleep with someone who is a total stranger, however the lure of their status in society means they will readily have casual sex. The celebrity is also having promiscuous sex, once again the model does not work the other way where high status women are prepared to have sex with unlimited amounts of groupies, no doubt the men would be willing, but they will do it with women of any status.

Given these obvious differences, on what basis do you give them equal moral status?
TMB

Print view this post

#119  Postby Fallible » Mar 17, 2014 11:12 am

You say ''given these differences'' as though you have argued well for your case and provided numerous sources to back up your equally numerous claims. You haven't - you've merely asserted several things and apparently expect others to take your word for them. Sorry, no. You are getting ahead of yourself somewhat.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#120  Postby Mr.Samsa » Mar 17, 2014 11:14 am

Fallible wrote:You say ''given these differences'' as though you have argued well for your case and provided numerous sources to back up your equally numerous claims. You haven't - you've merely asserted several things and apparently expect others to take your word for them. Sorry, no. You are getting ahead of yourself somewhat.

Didn't you see all the anecdata he provided? Hell, I was sure at some point there was even going to be a graph to make it super scientific.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Sociology