"Women are unlikely to own up to their true desires..."

What do women want?

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: "Women are unlikely to own up to their true desires..."

#81  Postby Thommo » Mar 09, 2014 6:43 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Also props to Thommo for bringing up Maxine, I was thinking the same thing but couldn't remember what her name was :lol:

Props to the mods if they realise that KIR himself has realised the game is up and hopped to a new account. To be fair I'm not sure posting in the same thread with the new account was such a bright idea though.
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 09, 2014 6:52 am

:eh:
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#83  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 09, 2014 6:56 am

Has he? Shit, I didn't see that.

At any rate thanks for the laughs KIR, it's otherwise been a pretty downer day. I'm off to bed, see you next time :cheers:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 09, 2014 7:01 am

jamest wrote:
Thommo wrote:
jamest wrote:There's no point in men participating in this thread. Only women can confirm or deny the OP.

Women aren't significantly better placed to speak for the sex drives of 3.5 billion people who aren't them than men are to speak for the sex drives of 3.5 billion + 1 people.

You're talking shite, again. You're a bloke, afaik. Therefore, you have no idea what it's like to be a woman, and certainly have no in-depth idea about how women feel regards their sexual desire. This even includes 5 minute discussions with women you might know. So, spare me the bullshit. The ONLY opinions that might amount to anything here, are those from women.

The men here should stfu.

I don't know if I find this sort of talk convincing. Literature seems to provide examples of women writing from the perspectives of men and men from the perspectives of women where the result can be something that not only passes for the other sex's perspective but even provides insight into it.

Plus, on a more particular level, the piece in the OP is suggesting that the reported experiences of women differ from the reality of their desires, so it's difficult to see what a recounting of personal experiences does to that suggestion. Women aren't the only ones who can question these methods here, are they?
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Mar 09, 2014 7:01 am

Really, what could have been better on International Women's Day than "I'm irrationally afraid of women and want to control them via hatred and shame"?
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Fallible » Mar 09, 2014 7:09 am

Keep It Real wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
Thommo wrote:

I don't think me not being willing to advocate constraints on millions or billions of people because you have a problem with them being promiscuous is quite the same as psychopathy.

Ahh, too late; I edited my post but you quoted me quick. Same point though it doesn't tickle the FUA. Anyway - the normalisation of female promiscuity affects millions, not just me.

My not putting your wishes ahead of someone else's does not involve the inability to care about others. In fact it stems directly from considering all points of view and their desires - you're demanding something of them (and of me it seems) and we're asking nothing of you, I'm not telling you how you should or should not dress, feel or act and I'm not telling any women how they should dress, feel or act - I am considering their feelings and not imposing my own, or your views on them.

If you want me to place you in a privileged position where I care more about your feelings than theirs, then you need to tell me why I should care.

Because the sexual gratification of promiscuity is smaller than the loss of amenity afforded by being psychologically cuckolded. And it's not just me against all those horny women - I represent a position which reflects the psychological wellbeing of most of the males of the species. Not just me. I could tell you some stories of shattered lives/homes brought about by "one meaningless fuck" - women often forgive infidelity, but for men it's a complete dealbreaker, and understandably so, from an evolutionary perspective.

Total bollocks.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#87  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 09, 2014 7:13 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
And now, this topic is locked for review.

The_Metatron
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby Matt8819 » Mar 11, 2014 5:41 am

!
MODNOTE
Keep It Real, the following posts of yours contain personal attacks on forum members, as well as overtly sexist content.

[Reveal] Spoiler: your reported posts
Keep It Real wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
Thommo wrote:
I also think that the idea that "women" should conform to whatever one man's tastes are is utterly bizarre. If one person doesn't want a promiscuous partner I can't see how that has the least fucking relevance to the other 3.5 billion women who aren't that person's partner.

If it's commonly accepted in society that female promiscuity is acceptable then it's more likely to occur. Every slutty female worsens this problem; and those who purport there's nothing wrong with female promiscuity, such as yourself, add weight to that hideous notion. All too common in secular society - women's rights and whatnot - feminism loosing the plot basically.

I see, so my not telling people how they should or should not behave is a problem for you.

Why should I care?

Unless you're a psychopath, you should care about other people a bit, in general.

Keep It Real wrote:
Beatsong wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

I'm sorry, I didn't know you were a psychopath.

:rofl:

I don't think me not being willing to advocate constraints on millions or billions of people because you have a problem with them being promiscuous is quite the same as psychopathy.

No shit. :lol:

In common with many men, I positively LIKE it when women are slutty, because it increases my chances of being able to shag them. I wonder what that makes me? :?

It makes you a duplicitous sly beta male - unable to hold a pride, he just takes what he can on the side, like a homeless drug addict bum raiding trash cans.

Keep It Real wrote:
Thommo wrote:
I also think that the idea that "women" should conform to whatever one man's tastes are is utterly bizarre. If one person doesn't want a promiscuous partner I can't see how that has the least fucking relevance to the other 3.5 billion women who aren't that person's partner.

If it's commonly accepted in society that female promiscuity is acceptable then it's more likely to occur. Every slutty female worsens this problem; and those who purport there's nothing wrong with female promiscuity, such as yourself, add weight to that hideous notion. All too common in secular society - women's rights and whatnot - feminism loosing the plot basically.

Keep It Real wrote:If women didn't think promiscuity was acceptable, they wouldn't have the desire to be infidels. It's like paedophilia - if you think it's not ok you don't want to do it. This logic applies to the thread, regardless of my gender. We should have "slut shame" marches; I'd attend.

Keep It Real wrote:What a moronic post, jamest. Female promiscuity is different to male promiscuity because of internal fertilisation - it's a fact of biology. The words slut and slag only apply to some females, not males, and carry negative vibes for a very good reason.

You have also made a personal attack in this post in another thread.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Full text of post
Keep It Real wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:I'm getting the distinct feeling that I may have touched a nerve or two somewhere.....

I just think of you as being some kind of man hating troll TBH and ignore your remarks.

Personal attacks and sexism are not allowed, as per the Forum User's Agreement, paragraph 1.2.b and 1.2.c, to which you agreed when you joined our forum.

[Reveal] Spoiler: relevant section of the Forum User's Agreement
Members of rationalskepticism.org agree to:

1.2. not post or transmit defamatory, abusive, threatening or illegal material, or any other material with the intent to purposely mislead or harm others or infringe on the ability of others to enjoy rationalskepticism.org. This includes but is not limited to:

b. posting or promoting hateful, abusive or disparaging content about people's race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender; or denying the Holocaust (either implicitly or explicitly).

c. personally attacking, insulting or threatening other members of rationalskepticism.org. You may robustly criticise the content posted by other members but may not direct criticism towards the members themselves.

Accordingly, I am awarding you your first warning.

Matt8819

Please do not discuss this modnote in this thread. If you need clarification or want to appeal this decision, please PM me or a senior moderator.

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Thread unlocked.
Last edited by Blip on Mar 11, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To add additional infringement
Matt8819
RS Donator

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#89  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 11, 2014 5:59 am

Fallible wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
Thommo wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

Ahh, too late; I edited my post but you quoted me quick. Same point though it doesn't tickle the FUA. Anyway - the normalisation of female promiscuity affects millions, not just me.

My not putting your wishes ahead of someone else's does not involve the inability to care about others. In fact it stems directly from considering all points of view and their desires - you're demanding something of them (and of me it seems) and we're asking nothing of you, I'm not telling you how you should or should not dress, feel or act and I'm not telling any women how they should dress, feel or act - I am considering their feelings and not imposing my own, or your views on them.

If you want me to place you in a privileged position where I care more about your feelings than theirs, then you need to tell me why I should care.

Because the sexual gratification of promiscuity is smaller than the loss of amenity afforded by being psychologically cuckolded. And it's not just me against all those horny women - I represent a position which reflects the psychological wellbeing of most of the males of the species. Not just me. I could tell you some stories of shattered lives/homes brought about by "one meaningless fuck" - women often forgive infidelity, but for men it's a complete dealbreaker, and understandably so, from an evolutionary perspective.

Total bollocks.

A UK survey found that more than six in ten women would forgive two relationship 'errors' - which include infidelity, excessive flirtatious behaviour or romantic neglect. They would, however, dump their man after three such errors. The poll of 2,000 British men and women, by Dr Beckmann, found that 53% women would give their partners another chance as long as the cheating was a one-time thing and didn't involve a prolonged affair. But only 13% of men would stay with their partner if they discovered they had been cheated on.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/relationships/man-woman/Women-forgive-infidelity-easily-men-dont/articleshow/16350781.cms

Either women are simply more forgiving/tolerant (no reason to think that) or being psychologically cuckolded is particularly unpleasant (plenty of reason to think that given organisms tendency to favour the propagation of their genes). Total bollocks? It would seem not.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#90  Postby Fallible » Mar 11, 2014 7:34 am

Your own source doesn't back up your blanket assertion. Nice source, by the way. :lol:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Scarlett » Mar 11, 2014 10:55 am

I missed this one, I'd been reading, fell asleep, and it was locked by the time I got up :lol:

Anyway, hilarious!

But.. Jamest? Please dudey, stop with the ' All men need to stfu and listen to WOMAN' thing on these threads. That's a couple of times I've seen you do it and it's completely unnecessary. I know you mean well but I, and others, have tried to explain to you that no one needs to stfu. (Well some do, obviously, but not for the reasons you suggest :P )
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 11, 2014 10:59 am

I'd also like to add, as the forum's #1 chill girl, that it is I and I alone who decides if someone is sufficiently oppressed to be worth listening to.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 11, 2014 10:59 am

Scarlett wrote:But.. Jamest? Please dudey, stop with the ' All men need to stfu and listen to WOMAN' thing on these threads. That's a couple of times I've seen you do it and it's completely unnecessary.

What, you mean women shouldn't be put on a pedestal with rose petals, and gussets, and whatever those other things are called? :scratch:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Scarlett » Mar 11, 2014 11:00 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:I'd also like to add, as the forum's #1 chill girl, that it is I and I alone who decides if someone is sufficiently oppressed to be worth listening to.

Yea, you need to stfu :coffee:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#95  Postby Scarlett » Mar 11, 2014 11:02 am

Made of Stars wrote:
Scarlett wrote:But.. Jamest? Please dudey, stop with the ' All men need to stfu and listen to WOMAN' thing on these threads. That's a couple of times I've seen you do it and it's completely unnecessary.

What, you mean women shouldn't be put on a pedestal with rose petals, and gussets, and whatever those other things are called? :scratch:

Isn't a gusset the stitched in crotchy bit in women's knickers? :scratch:

But... If you want to put me on a pedestal with rose petals, and gussets, and whatever those other things are called, feel free. I quite fancy the idea of being worshipped :smoke:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 11, 2014 11:04 am

Scarlett wrote:
Made of Stars wrote:

Isn't a gusset the stitched in crotchy bit in women's knickers? :scratch:

But... If you want to put me on a pedestal with rose petals, and gussets, and whatever those other things are called, feel free. I quite fancy the idea of being worshipped :smoke:

Well, there's one woman who's owning up to her true desires.

/thread :smug:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#97  Postby babel » Mar 11, 2014 11:05 am

He just wants to take a peek under your skirt. :coffee:
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#98  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 11, 2014 11:06 am

Scarlett wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:I'd also like to add, as the forum's #1 chill girl, that it is I and I alone who decides if someone is sufficiently oppressed to be worth listening to.

You have no period, freakshow!

"Period" being a pun here: it's both something women experience and in its other sense is something lacking from Scarlett's post. Dontchaknaaaw!

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#99  Postby Scarlett » Mar 11, 2014 11:09 am

babel wrote:He just wants to take a peek under your skirt. :coffee:

That's legal in Canada you know :coffee:

Spinozasgalt wrote:
Scarlett wrote:

You have no period, freakshow!

"Period" being a pun here: it's both something women experience and in its other sense is something lacking from Scarlett's post. Dontchaknaaaw!

You are soooooo jealous of me, not only am I no.1 chill-girl, but I stole your man! Bwahahahahaha! :evilgrin:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#100  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 11, 2014 11:13 am

I stole your menstrual life-force!

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Sociology