Advice about trying to be a doctor/travel

Student life.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Advice about trying to be a doctor/travel

#1  Postby inkaStepa » Jul 31, 2011 11:21 pm

I've written about this before on here- my dream is to travel all over the world but I also want to have a good paying job. I am going to a 4 year Uni this fall to take premed classes and wanted to take EMT classes at a community college, but looking at my courseload (I'm taking bio and chem with labs) I don't think I'll have enough time for both. I'm afraid to wait any longer to take pre med though because I'll be 21 in Nov. I know doing something like MSF is volunteer...but I can't think of anything else which would allow me to travel to different parts of the world. It doesn't seem very adventurous though...meaning I don't think I'll e able to wander or really see cities or the place I'll be sent. I want to cross deserts and explore ancient tombs...so now I'm rethinking being a doctor because it seems like that just wont happen. Any advice would really help and be appreciated.
inkaStepa

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Advice about trying to be a doctor/travel

#2  Postby Imagination Theory » Jan 26, 2012 8:20 pm

There are paid volunteer jobs and it isn't forever. Or doesn't have to be. There is also always vacation time to travel.
Or you can be a Dr. and every 2-4 years be hired into another hospital or wherever you want to work in any place you want.

Just out of curiosity, what other jobs are you considering that pay well and let your travel often?
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#3  Postby z8000783 » Jan 27, 2012 7:50 am

You want to be a doctor so you can travel and have a good paying job? That doesn't seem the best of reasons.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#4  Postby hoopy frood » Jan 27, 2012 8:22 am

Get one of these.

I don’t think we’re for anything, we’re just products of evolution. You can say “Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don’t think there’s a purpose,” but I’m anticipating a good lunch.

Theology: The study of elaborate verbal disguises for non-ideas
hoopy frood

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Return to Student Life