any med students?

Student life.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

any med students?

#1  Postby thomasac13 » Mar 12, 2010 11:30 am

is there any med students lingering or lurking in here?
thomasac13

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: any med students?

#2  Postby natselrox » Mar 13, 2010 6:50 pm

Sadly, yes. :waah:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#3  Postby GenesForLife » Mar 13, 2010 6:51 pm

I'm a student learning the tricks of a trade which gives docs the medicines they prescribe :mrgreen:
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby thomasac13 » Mar 14, 2010 4:38 am

lol Medicine: the art of writing prescriptions with illegible handwritings

btw how does it feel as an atheist in a religion-ridden field?

I had it bad actually, one of my professors went on and said that the big bang theory and the theory of evolution are science fiction, and he's our Dean now, the supposedly the smartest lecturer on campus, was educated in Germany, and have a PhD from Germany argh...
thomasac13

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#5  Postby natselrox » Mar 14, 2010 4:49 am

thomasac13 wrote:lol Medicine: the art of writing prescriptions with illegible handwritings

:lol: :lol:

My hand-writing is not half as bad as my dad's. He often has his cheques cancelled as a result of non-matching sigs!

It's not as religion-ridden as you say. What I find more appalling is the poor knowledge of most doctors regarding Evolution.

I had it bad actually, one of my professors went on and said that the big bang theory and the theory of evolution are science fiction, and he's our Dean now, the supposedly the smartest lecturer on campus, was educated in Germany, and have a PhD from Germany argh...

Germany, my arse! He shouldn't be allowed to change bed-sheets of cholera patients, let alone teach medicine. :nono:

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#6  Postby thomasac13 » Mar 14, 2010 6:01 am

natselrox wrote:
thomasac13 wrote:lol Medicine: the art of writing prescriptions with illegible handwritings

:lol: :lol:

My hand-writing is not half as bad as my dad's. He often has his cheques cancelled as a result of non-matching sigs!

my hand writing is worse than my lecturers, and that's why I have a very simple sig, just a very deformed T and S (and actually, my handwriting is so bad, it's quite hard to copy it accurately)

It's not as religion-ridden as you say. What I find more appalling is the poor knowledge of most doctors regarding Evolution.

well, at least it is here, they keep on saying "doctors must abide to their religion blah3, we are handling humans' life here, therefore our work here in this life will be rewarded in the next"

Germany, my arse! He shouldn't be allowed to change bed-sheets of cholera patients, let alone teach medicine. :nono:

well, he's the head of the biochemistry department, and the only person so far to be capable enough for that. sigh... another waste of brain, not unlike Michael Behe
thomasac13

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Deutz » Mar 15, 2010 8:00 am

Another one here :cheers:
Deutz

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby IrrationalSkeptic » Mar 18, 2010 5:56 pm

I was told I should study medicine, but I've stuck it to the man and applied for sociology 8-)

I do have the handwriting though :(
IrrationalSkeptic

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Mirage » Apr 07, 2010 12:43 am

Im a student in psycology.
Don't you believe that there is in man a deep so profound as to be hidden even to him in whom it is?
Mirage
Banned User

Male

France (fr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Lizard_King » Apr 27, 2010 11:52 am

And another one here. Some of the professors, mostly the ones who do basic stuff like biochemistry and such, do know a lot about evolution, one genetics professor even made fun of the stupidity of ID. He told us about the mechanisms that rhino viruses (the ones that usually cause the common cold) use to invade and destroy nasal mucosa cells and then argued about whether God designed thoses viruses to annoy us, or whether there was a Rhino-God, who apparently is stronger than the Human-God. So all hail the Rhino-God...

We even had a little unit about evolution in our first year, just a few pages in a skript, and a practical course about the effects of genetic drift und natural selection in general. At least that's something...
"Yet again it is demonstrated that monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents."
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#12  Postby natselrox » May 10, 2010 3:43 am

I'm a med student and we hate medics as well. :whistle:

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#13  Postby thomasac13 » Jun 13, 2010 10:49 am

well I love medics, the young pretty females one, wait, are we talking about medicines, or the paramedics? :naughty2:
thomasac13

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Durro » Jul 25, 2010 10:12 pm

I thought you guys might like this one...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0S5EN7-RtI[/youtube]

:lol:
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)

Birthday
Print view this post

#15  Postby Deutz » Jul 27, 2010 1:26 am

:lol: :thumbup:

Obligatory anesthetists hymn. Was impossible to get out of my head the first time I was observing anesthetists putting people under for surgery (and it really is white stuff, hadn't covered it in pharmacology at that stage :lol: ).
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuZl9tRqjoQ[/youtube]
"The drugs song" is awesome for ticking off names when you learn them.
Deutz

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Diederick » Nov 28, 2010 12:24 am

Yup, nurse in training here, from the Academy of Nursing in the Netherlands. I'm also an assistant medical technician in a volunteer team in the Dutch disaster response system, trained (among other things) to assist paramedics with multi-trauma patients.

BTW the anaesthetists hymn is great, only knew the hospital-based video before.
life is short; don't rush it
Diederick

Name: D.A. Becker
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#17  Postby dreamweaver » Nov 30, 2010 6:19 am

Do nursing students count?

Yes, I think we must count since we are the ones who have to decipher said handwriting, officially known as "cacography".

I often seriously wonder how delicate procedures can be carried out safely by the same hands which find it impossible to write "aspirin" (or anything else) legibly.

The topic demands research. I'm sure it must be a disease :scratch:
Until creationists come up with theory which contains more substance than “my favourite magic man did it” they will continue to bleat their flaccid protests like an antelope with a lion attached to its throat.
dreamweaver

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Diederick » Nov 30, 2010 11:37 am

dreamweaver wrote:Do nursing students count?

On my level of education we certainly do count. I'm not sitting through hours of medicine, psychology and physiology to just numbly follow doctor's orders when I'm finished. Though not all levels of nursing count as medicine, and rightly so, I'm pretty sure us Dutch critical care nurses do.
life is short; don't rush it
Diederick

Name: D.A. Becker
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#19  Postby iMMz » May 31, 2011 4:11 pm

I start medschool this August =/
iMMz

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby GenesForLife » May 31, 2011 4:27 pm

Basi wrote:I start medschool this August =/

Cool, what do you want to specialize in?
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Student Life