Adco's projects

Architecture, graphic design, your projects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, Blip, ADParker

Adco's projects

#1  Postby Adco » Nov 11, 2015 10:54 am

Not really technical or engineering but it is a project, so here goes.

My first attempt at an oval Ottoman. I needed to fill a space in our newly extended bedroom. (another project that can I can show if anyone is interested). The dimensions are 1400mm x 900mm and 500mm high. Large and heavy!

I've done lots of square and rectangle ones but not oval. The challenge was making the side supports. I ended up using a flexible board and flat pieces of wood as I went along. The ends with the sharper curves are constructed from flat wood. Almost like stacking a lot of dominoes. The more gentle curves are made from Masonite.

This piece is the top of the base. The lid sits on top and can be removed to make it a large storage box. Good for cushions, blankets etc. The piece that got cutout fit back onto the lid so that the lid locates in exactly the correct position.
Oval top.jpg
Oval top.jpg (38.16 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
I used a simple string method to draw the shape. Found a cool site that is useful for drawings and formulas. http://www.blocklayer.com/Oval.aspx Enter the dimensions, nail into place, cut a piece of string and then carefully draw out the oval.

This is the base already covered. I never took a pic of it uncovered. You can see the flat pieces of wood that support the top and bottom.
Base.jpg
Base.jpg (54.57 KiB) Viewed 2143 times

Lid with buttons position being decided. Not easy to get the ideal positions because of the shape.
Button layout.jpg
Button layout.jpg (44.87 KiB) Viewed 2143 times

Just need to drill holes, secure batting and foam and then material.
Last edited by Blip on Nov 12, 2015 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title change at Adco's request
god must love stupid people - he made so many of them
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Oval Ottoman

#2  Postby Adco » Nov 11, 2015 10:59 am

The lid about to get buttoned up. Always start with the middle button.
Button 1 in.jpg
Button 1 in.jpg (39.26 KiB) Viewed 2141 times
Here you need a second person to help hold the fabric with the correct tension.

Complete.jpg
Complete.jpg (49.53 KiB) Viewed 2141 times
And finally finished! I am chuffed at the outcome. The diamond tufting is not perfect but not too bad for a first attempt.

Cost to make = R1000
Cost to buy similar = R5000
Saving = about R4000
Satisfaction = priceless!
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Blackadder » Nov 11, 2015 11:24 am

That's a nice piece of work. Did you use sponge foam for the stuffing? And how did you secure the edges of the fabric cover underneath the lid? Staples?
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Adco » Nov 11, 2015 11:29 am

While I'm on a roll....

Adding railings to the patio area just off the new extension.

No before. Just use imagination.

During
20151025_114812.jpg
20151025_114812.jpg (105.75 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
Bolting uprights to bricks.

Nearly there.
20151025_145926.jpg
20151025_145926.jpg (96.36 KiB) Viewed 2135 times

Finished.
20151107_102416.jpg
20151107_102416.jpg (106.23 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
I also made the plant holders. I wanted something different. These look just fine.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Onyx8 » Nov 11, 2015 5:47 pm

Nice work.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Nov 11, 2015 6:08 pm

Very nice work, wouldn't mind that ottoman in my house...just a different colour.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby John Platko » Nov 11, 2015 6:15 pm

Nice!

What was the "flexible board" that you used for the ottoman?
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Adco » Nov 11, 2015 8:02 pm

Blackadder wrote:That's a nice piece of work. Did you use sponge foam for the stuffing? And how did you secure the edges of the fabric cover underneath the lid? Staples?
Thanks. :thumbup:

Only the lid has high 50mm density foam covered with batting so you can sit on it comfortably. The main box has only batting around it. Batting is a fibrous white material. Almost like Father Xmas beard material. It gives a plush feel to it overall. A very light material. A whole bag can be lifted with a baby finger.

All material fastened with staples and then trimmed to neaten it up. Thereafter, I use contact adhesive to hold the material down forever.

I heard that batting might be called Dacron in certain parts of the world.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Adco » Nov 11, 2015 8:06 pm

John Platko wrote:Nice!

i only know it as Masonite. Normally a hard compressed board used as a backing to TV cabinets etc. sometimes has a white finish on one side for show purposes. Normally 3mm thick. Cuts easily but can leave feathers on the cut edge. Bends well but snaps just as easily. Cannot be wet like plain wood to shape it, the glue comes undone and it swells.

You must have a similar product.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#10  Postby John Platko » Nov 11, 2015 8:18 pm

Adco wrote:

i only know it as Masonite. Normally a hard compressed board used as a backing to TV cabinets etc. sometimes has a white finish on one side for show purposes. Normally 3mm thick. Cuts easily but can leave feathers on the cut edge. Bends well but snaps just as easily. Cannot be wet like plain wood to shape it, the glue comes undone and it swells.

Yes we have Masonite. I thought it might be something exotic like:

I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby laklak » Nov 11, 2015 8:29 pm

Nice work on both, mate. I really like the railings, going to put a wood deck with railings on a rental house next spring. So I can charge more rent and exploit those less fortunate than me, of course.

EDIT next time the Mrs. and I are in Joeys we need to hook up for a beer or three.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Adco » Nov 11, 2015 8:34 pm

John Platko wrote:
Adco wrote:

Yes we have Masonite. I thought it might be something exotic like:

That looks like a really nice product to work with. We don't have that here. Those ribs look strong. I had to make ribs out of plain wood. This product would have saved time.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Emmeline » Nov 11, 2015 8:40 pm

That ottoman is impressive work. :clap:
I also like the rails you put up & especially like those planters against the wall - did you make those yourself?

Re: bendy MDF, I used that to make a curved bath panel to replace the horrible plastic one we inherited. It worked pretty well & I was able to paint it to match the tongue & groove panelling I put on the walls (to cover the naff tiles).
Emmeline

Print view this post

#14  Postby Adco » Nov 11, 2015 8:41 pm

laklak wrote:Nice work on both, mate. I really like the railings, going to put a wood deck with railings on a rental house next spring. So I can charge more rent and exploit those less fortunate than me, of course.
Yup, it's adds an extra touch.

EDIT next time the Mrs. and I are in Joeys we need to hook up for a beer or three.
How often do you come out?
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#15  Postby laklak » Nov 11, 2015 8:50 pm

Usually every other year, they come here one year and we go there the next. Not going to make it this year though, too much going on, so probably next July or August. I miss Swaziland.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Adco » Nov 11, 2015 9:03 pm

Emmeline wrote:That ottoman is impressive work. :clap:
I also like the rails you put up & especially like those planters against the wall - did you make those yourself?

Re: bendy MDF, I used that to make a curved bath panel to replace the horrible plastic one we inherited. It worked pretty well & I was able to paint it to match the tongue & groove panelling I put on the walls (to cover the naff tiles).
Yup, made with these hands to keep them out of mischief. :lol:

I try and make everything myself. There are exceptions that I don't have the necessary machinery for but most things in the house I build myself. Woodwork, mechanics, electrical or electronics is fair game. If I can visualise it, I give it a bash. Fun in my old age.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Adco » Nov 11, 2015 9:06 pm

laklak wrote:Usually every other year, they come here one year and we go there the next. Not going to make it this year though, too much going on, so probably next July or August. I miss Swaziland.
I didn't enjoy Swaziland about two years ago. Not sure why. Guess I was expecting too much. Nice countryside and people but too much poverty.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Emmeline » Nov 11, 2015 9:07 pm

Adco wrote:

I try and make everything myself. There are exceptions that I don't have the necessary machinery for but most things in the house I build myself. Woodwork, mechanics, electrical or electronics is fair game. If I can visualise it, I give it a bash. Fun in my old age.

Fun in your old age? I'm 6 years older than you and I'm not old yet! 8-)

If you have time, could you explain how you made the planters?
Emmeline

Print view this post

#19  Postby Adco » Nov 11, 2015 9:16 pm

Emmeline wrote:
Adco wrote:

Fun in your old age? I'm 6 years older than you and I'm not old yet! 8-)

If you have time, could you explain how you made the planters?
I'll try scratch out a few pics tomorrow. I don't have any on my iPad to put up. It was really simple. Four tongue and groove planks cut to size. two rear bracing pieces to hold them together. When you have four sets of panels, screw them together. Put a cross piece about a third of the way down that the flower pots can rest on. The black vertical strips are mild steel strips bent into angles and secured with silicon. All very firm. Oh, all the wood is varnished for long term protection. That's it basically. I can give more details if needed. There are no plans. I just get an idea and make it work.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#20  Postby catbasket » Nov 11, 2015 9:24 pm

Nice work Adco :thumbup:

Those plant holders look expensive!
catbasket

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Technical Design and Engineering.