Bringing old photos to life

Architecture, graphic design, your projects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, Blip, ADParker

Bringing old photos to life

#1  Postby Macdoc » Nov 04, 2018 7:03 pm

I watched WWII in Color and was struck by the effectiveness.

This guy is using deep learning for stills ...to very good effect

DeOldify
Simply put, the mission of this project is to colorize and restore old images. I'll get into the details in a bit, but first let's get to the pictures! BTW – most of these source images originally came from the r/TheWayWeWere subreddit, so credit to them for finding such great photos.

Some of many results- These are pretty typical!
Image

Image



many more :thumbup:
https://github.com/jantic/DeOldify
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Macdoc
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 15474
Age: 71
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Bringing old photos to life

#2  Postby gobshite » Nov 06, 2018 12:36 am

I don't pretend to understand the technical details, but this is incredibly impressive given the fact that monochrome rendition is dependent on the particular film's sensitivities to the various colour wavelengths. Unless he is only showing us the good outputs, and not the bad ones.
gobshite
 
Posts: 111

Print view this post

Re: Bringing old photos to life

#3  Postby Macdoc » Nov 06, 2018 2:50 am

It's a learning program to get to a useful look ...lots of iterations
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Macdoc
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 15474
Age: 71
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Bringing old photos to life

#4  Postby gobshite » Nov 06, 2018 3:20 am

But think about the first one. Why purple? Why not cream? Who/what is selecting its "right" answers from its "wrong" answers?
gobshite
 
Posts: 111

Print view this post

Re: Bringing old photos to life

#5  Postby BlackBart » Nov 06, 2018 7:33 am

gobshite wrote:But think about the first one. Why purple? Why not cream? Who/what is selecting its "right" answers from its "wrong" answers?


I think it uses imageNet (http://www.image-net.org) as a learning tool - if you search 'tutu' or 'ballet' it shows some examples which tend to be pink/purple-ish.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
User avatar
BlackBart
 
Posts: 11678
Age: 57
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Bringing old photos to life

#6  Postby Adco » Nov 06, 2018 8:17 am

BlackBart wrote:
gobshite wrote:But think about the first one. Why purple? Why not cream? Who/what is selecting its "right" answers from its "wrong" answers?


I think it uses imageNet (http://www.image-net.org) as a learning tool - if you search 'tutu' or 'ballet' it shows some examples which tend to be pink/purple-ish.

But how does it know it's a tutu that has to be coloured in? It could be a curtain or a rug. Do you have to "tell" the program what is in the photo first and then it chooses the colour or does it recognise objects?

It would be interesting to see what it does with a wedding dress.
god must love stupid people - he made so many of them
User avatar
Adco
 
Posts: 1295
Age: 60
Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: Bringing old photos to life

#7  Postby BlackBart » Nov 06, 2018 8:36 am

Adco wrote:
BlackBart wrote:
gobshite wrote:But think about the first one. Why purple? Why not cream? Who/what is selecting its "right" answers from its "wrong" answers?


I think it uses imageNet (http://www.image-net.org) as a learning tool - if you search 'tutu' or 'ballet' it shows some examples which tend to be pink/purple-ish.

But how does it know it's a tutu that has to be coloured in? It could be a curtain or a rug. Do you have to "tell" the program what is in the photo first and then it chooses the colour or does it recognise objects?

It would be interesting to see what it does with a wedding dress.


As far as I can tell it uses crowdsourced metadata to classify the image, then it probably bases the colouring on images in that subset that tend to look similar.

If you search for bride, it tends to bring up white dresses that look triangular-ish, so if it sees a triangular-ish shape it'll probably colour it white.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
User avatar
BlackBart
 
Posts: 11678
Age: 57
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Bringing old photos to life

#8  Postby Adco » Nov 06, 2018 8:45 am

BlackBart wrote:
Adco wrote:
BlackBart wrote:
gobshite wrote:But think about the first one. Why purple? Why not cream? Who/what is selecting its "right" answers from its "wrong" answers?


I think it uses imageNet (http://www.image-net.org) as a learning tool - if you search 'tutu' or 'ballet' it shows some examples which tend to be pink/purple-ish.

But how does it know it's a tutu that has to be coloured in? It could be a curtain or a rug. Do you have to "tell" the program what is in the photo first and then it chooses the colour or does it recognise objects?

It would be interesting to see what it does with a wedding dress.


As far as I can tell it uses crowdsourced metadata to classify the image, then it probably bases the colouring on images in that subset that tend to look similar.

If you search for bride, it tends to bring up white dresses that look triangular-ish, so if it sees a triangular-ish shape it'll probably colour it white.
OK, that can work. Eventually it can build up a library of all options. Nice software.
god must love stupid people - he made so many of them
User avatar
Adco
 
Posts: 1295
Age: 60
Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post


Return to Technical Design and Engineering.

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest