China's elevated bus

Futuristic 'straddling bus' hits the road

Architecture, graphic design, your projects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, Blip, ADParker

China's elevated bus

#1  Postby DougC » Aug 03, 2016 7:56 pm

Somewhere around here is this bus as a project. But I cant find it. :confused:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-36961433

B.B.C. Article
It may look like something from the future, but China's long-awaited "straddling bus" ran its inaugural test in Hebei province this week.
The 2m-high Transit Elevated Bus (TEB) straddles the cars below, allowing them to pass through.
Powered by electricity, the bus is able to carry up to 300 passengers in its 72ft (21m) long and 25ft wide body.
A video of a mini-model of the vehicle caused great excitement when it was released in May.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: China's elevated bus

#3  Postby Pulsar » Aug 03, 2016 9:08 pm

I love the idea, but they better build it higher, because anything taller than a normal car won't fit underneath. And it won't ft underneath most bridges and flyovers, so its usefulness seems very limited.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#4  Postby rplatell » Aug 04, 2016 4:00 am

What a dumb idea - how did this even make it off the drawing board? If it's going to run on rails, then why not just build a light rail line, or else put in a dedicated bus lane (along with a barrier to prevent other vehicles using it of course). That would be far cheaper than all the infrastructure that would need to be built for this monstrous thing - widening roads, raising bridges and power lines, building all those elevated platforms - not to mention the new roads they would have to build anyway to re-route trucks etc. Hell, even this chap wouldn't fit through:

rplatell

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby OlivierK » Aug 04, 2016 6:10 am

On the other hand, it is completely awesome. Sorta stupid, but awesome.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Evolving » Aug 04, 2016 8:25 am

Actually I'm warming to the idea. Rather than reserving part of the road for this vehicle, or building a raised track all the way along the route, all you need is two sets of rails, the two sides of the bus, and the raised stations. The whole thing needn't be taller than a double decker bus. And anything too tall to fit underneath it would simply have to tag along behind it and wait every time it stopped: annoying, but better than not being able to fit under some permanent fixture like a flyover.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#7  Postby NineBerry » Aug 04, 2016 8:43 am

Problem is that when trucks are allowed to use these roads, the bus will also have to wait when such a truck is in front of it. Advantage lost. I suppose they do ban these roads where the bus travels for trucks (maybe except special deliveries)
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby monkeyboy » Aug 04, 2016 9:01 am

Out of silly ideas, genius occasionally grows.

This thing isn't going to fit in every city, but it could in some. In the form shown, maybe, maybe not but it's an idea. There would be costs to infrastructure but how much compared to digging some sort of underground/metro system? Some cities might not support an underground system. The skyrail idea is also costly and butt ugly (in my eyes). Do delivery trucks need to run on every bus route? If they're not delivering in the city, send them round and if they are, perhaps they deliver between select hours. Do either need to be running 24/7? If your roads are totally clogged now maybe this is a step towards a solution for some places. It might be a shit idea but ideas need space to grow sometimes.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#9  Postby igorfrankensteen » Aug 04, 2016 11:37 am

Yeah, it's cute. The extremely limited applications versus cost, mean that it's likely to end up a one-of, though. Reminds me of the cable car on a mountain side that's built at a forty degree angle, so that the platform inside remains level during the journey. Perfect for THAT SPOT, and a cool thing to show off how much a locale is willing to spend on conveniences, but that's about it.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Technical Design and Engineering.