Chromebooks

Architecture, graphic design, your projects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, Blip, ADParker

Re: Chromebooks

#21  Postby felltoearth » Jan 15, 2019 7:53 pm

Macdoc wrote:
Yes. Don't bother to ask for recommendations if you've already made up your mind.

exactly ..I'm sure your son will have many hours of enjoyable use :roll:

You don’t know my son or his needs. It’s for education. See above.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby felltoearth » Jan 15, 2019 7:54 pm

Mike_L wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
Mike_L wrote:Okay, I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert on computer hardware, but...
2GB of RAM seems to be a bit on the low side. Nowadays most smartphones have that much RAM (and some have quite a bit more).
:dunno:

ETA: Macdoc beat me to it!

The concept of a Chromebook is a cheap, lightweight laptop that runs purpose built apps. It’s a focused machine for a focused purpose and one that ticks the boxes where my sons requirements are concerned.

felltoearth earlier wrote:

Any recommendations?

Yes. Don't bother to ask for recommendations if you've already made up your mind.

I’m asking for recommendations on chromebooks. What’s the issue?

ETA This was not intended to be a thread about whether or not to get a Chromebook. That’s decided. My son is autistic and is in a special needs class that delivers the course using the Google suite of educational apps.
There are many flavours of Chromebooks out there. I appreciate those that have contributed positively to this thread and the original ask.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Hermit » Jan 15, 2019 9:14 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Mike_L wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
Mike_L wrote:Okay, I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert on computer hardware, but...
2GB of RAM seems to be a bit on the low side. Nowadays most smartphones have that much RAM (and some have quite a bit more).
:dunno:

ETA: Macdoc beat me to it!

The concept of a Chromebook is a cheap, lightweight laptop that runs purpose built apps. It’s a focused machine for a focused purpose and one that ticks the boxes where my sons requirements are concerned.

Any recommendations?

ETA This was not intended to be a thread about whether or not to get a Chromebook. That’s decided. My son is autistic and is in a special needs class that delivers the course using the Google suite of educational apps.
There are many flavours of Chromebooks out there. I appreciate those that have contributed positively to this thread and the original ask.

And a chromebook it should be. A first computer to take to school should be as cheap (and rugged) as possible. Half of them seem to get lost or damaged before the year is out. My grandson lost his computer three times during the first term, and had it stolen once. Fortunately it was found again/retrieved every time. Several of his classmates were not so lucky.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#24  Postby Hermit » Jan 15, 2019 9:15 pm

Fallible wrote:
UncertainSloth wrote:
Macdoc wrote:2 gig of RAM and a 16GB hard drive ...is that a $259 paperweight? :roll:

depends what you want to do with it...we've got pcs, laptops, macs, ipods, ipads etc at school and the best thing we've invested in in recent years for the computing curriculum (and i say this as the person delivering most of it) is a set of chromebooks...

not ideal for everyone or every job, natch, but what is? :coffee:

4K.

:lol:
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#25  Postby Fallible » Jan 15, 2019 9:19 pm

A Chromebook is pretty perfect for carrying about, because it's slim and weighs next to nothing. We got my mum one a while ago for this reason, as she has arthritis and a past broken arm, and has trouble listing or holding things. She loves it.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby felltoearth » Jan 15, 2019 9:21 pm

Hermit wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
Mike_L wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

Any recommendations?

And a chromebook it should be. A first computer to take to school should be as cheap (and rugged) as possible. Half of them seem to get lost or damaged before the year is out. My grandson lost his computer three times during the first term, and had it stolen once. Fortunately it was found again/retrieved every time. Several of his classmates were not so lucky.

This and it is more difficult to use to hack the school computer systems. I’m not kidding.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Fallible » Jan 15, 2019 9:22 pm

:lol:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby felltoearth » Jan 15, 2019 9:23 pm

Fallible wrote::lol:

Funny, yeah, but not a laughing matter. They will charge him criminally next time.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Fallible » Jan 15, 2019 9:26 pm

Yeah sorry.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Macdoc » Jan 15, 2019 9:27 pm

and inadequate - if you are going to buy one - get it with decent RAM

The AP Computer Science teacher said he currently DOES need to teach the AP CS course on PC-laptops, and is expecting an upgraded set of PCs this year, with the hope that some PC laptops can be sent home with students who don’t have laptops at home (so they can do their homework); i.e. the AP Computer Science course CANNOT currently be taught on Chromebooks. 3) The HS administrators/tech staff did not say they had fixed any issues raised by the students. They did say they were looking into whether/how they could lift some of the internet filters, particularly those that currently block access to all YouTube videos, including those with educational value. (More than a hiccup.)
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#31  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 15, 2019 9:33 pm

i'll check what the ones we've got at school are, squire - they're fully capable of dealing with everything we need to teach and a hell of a lot more straightforward for a classroom environment
i guess i could be a quiet hero
no one knows the good i've done

e
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby felltoearth » Jan 15, 2019 9:44 pm

UncertainSloth wrote:i'll check what the ones we've got at school are, squire - they're fully capable of dealing with everything we need to teach and a hell of a lot more straightforward for a classroom environment

That'd be great US, thanks!

:thumbup:
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#33  Postby felltoearth » Jan 15, 2019 9:44 pm

Fallible wrote:Yeah sorry.

No problem. I actually didn't want to make this a personal story, but there it is.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Fallible » Jan 15, 2019 9:45 pm

I should've thought. That's a pretty stressful situation. :hugs:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Hermit » Jan 15, 2019 9:49 pm

UncertainSloth wrote:i'll check what the ones we've got at school are, squire - they're fully capable of dealing with everything we need to teach and a hell of a lot more straightforward for a classroom environment

You may discover that the AP Computer Science teacher who said he currently DOES need to teach the AP CS course on PC-laptops is talking about courses taken in senior years. I doubt fellto's son will be taught the finer points of Java ArrayLists and such in his junior years.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby felltoearth » Jan 15, 2019 9:52 pm

Hermit wrote:

You may discover that the AP Computer Science teacher who said he currently DOES need to teach the AP CS course on PC-laptops is talking about courses taken in senior years. I doubt fellto's son will be taught the finer points of Java ArrayLists and such in his junior years.

Yeah, he needs assistive technology for his basic work, so it's more about that.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Macdoc » Jan 15, 2019 10:06 pm

And it's not like 4 GB of RAM costs that much more - and at least will be functional. What works now may not soon enough.

ASUS Chromebook Flip C101PA-DB02 10.1" Rockchip RK3399 Hexa-Core Processor 2.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 16 GB, All Metal Body, Lightweight, USB Type-C, Google Play Store Ready to run Android apps, Touchscreen

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... HIEALw_wcB
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Hermit » Jan 15, 2019 10:20 pm

Macdoc wrote:And it's not like 4 GB of RAM costs that much more - and at least will be functional. What works now may not soon enough.

ASUS Chromebook Flip C101PA-DB02 10.1" Rockchip RK3399 Hexa-Core Processor 2.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 16 GB, All Metal Body, Lightweight, USB Type-C, Google Play Store Ready to run Android apps, Touchscreen

$110, 42% more expensive. As for "soon enough", the first computer is quite likely to be lost/stolen/wrecked before then.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#39  Postby felltoearth » Jan 15, 2019 10:38 pm

Primary apps used will be Google sheets, docs, keep and calendar. 2GB will do fine for running those.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#40  Postby felltoearth » Jan 15, 2019 10:39 pm

Hermit wrote:
Macdoc wrote:And it's not like 4 GB of RAM costs that much more - and at least will be functional. What works now may not soon enough.

$110, 42% more expensive. As for "soon enough", the first computer is quite likely to be lost/stolen/wrecked before then.

Pretty much this.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Design and Engineering.