Electric fireplaces

I am astonished

Architecture, graphic design, your projects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, Blip, ADParker

Re: Electric fireplaces

#21  Postby The_Piper » Sep 27, 2017 1:46 pm

I'm not disputing the enjoyment of a camp fire, or the cozy heat of a stove or fireplace either. But my fire days are over, my lungs can't hack the smoke anymore (pun intended).
Neighbors burn wood (and trash, plastic, etc :yuk: ), and on days where there's not much wind, it can bother me at my house, and they're like 75 yards away.
"I'm not really sure what I'm talking about" - Tucker Carlson
The Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife thread.
The Self Taken Pictures of Scenery thread.
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 27, 2017 2:35 pm

The_Piper wrote:...
Neighbors burn wood (and trash, plastic, etc :yuk: ), and on days where there's not much wind, it can bother me at my house, and they're like 75 yards away.

Have you let them know that they are causing you problems and being bad neighbours?
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby The_Piper » Sep 27, 2017 3:20 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
The_Piper wrote:...

Have you let them know that they are causing you problems and being bad neighbours?

Yeah, they're good about stopping it on those days, when I politely complain.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby crank » Sep 27, 2017 10:49 pm

The_Piper wrote:I'm not disputing the enjoyment of a camp fire, or the cozy heat of a stove or fireplace either. But my fire days are over, my lungs can't hack the smoke anymore (pun intended).

Most folks have a chimney. Do you live in one of those wigwams where the smoke was supposed to diffuse out of the hides making up the walls? On a less moronic note, I've been really lucky in that all the fireplaces in places I've lived drew extremely well. it was really rare for smoke to get into the house. Usually the wind, or some fool didn't raise the damper. The big old house I used to live in had 4 fireplaces, 2 on top of 2 with their flews going up one big chimney, and a 5th in another room, all 5 of them drew very well. It helped that it was an extremely drafty house, which is why I was heating that bedroom with an open gas burner. The house and why I needed more heat. That is really really cold in these parts.
Attachments
IM000022.JPG
IM000022.JPG (499.19 KiB) Viewed 168 times
IM003844.JPG
IM003844.JPG (971.37 KiB) Viewed 168 times
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#25  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 27, 2017 11:26 pm

Among the major sources of indoor air pollution are combustion by-products from heating and cooking. Concern is increasing that use of polluting heating and cooking sources can increase cancer risk. In Canada, most cooking and heating currently relies on electricity or natural gas, but, in the past, and still in some areas, coal and wood stoves were used for heating and gas and wood for cooking. In the course of a case-control study of lung cancer carried out in Montreal in 1996–2001, the authors collected information on subjects' lifetime exposure to such sources of domestic pollution by means of a personal interview with the subject or a next-of-kin proxy. Questionnaires were completed for 739 male cases, 925 male controls, 466 female cases, and 616 female controls. Odds ratios were computed in relation to a few indices of exposure to traditional heating and cooking sources, adjusting for a number of covariates, including smoking. Among men, there was no indication of excess risks. Among women, the odds ratio for those exposed to both traditional heating and cooking sources was 2.5 (95% confidence interval: 1.5, 3.6; n = 253). The findings for women suggest the need for research dedicated to exploring this association, with particular emphasis on improved exposure assessment.

My doc mentioned something to me about lung cancer risk and wood stoves in my last visit.

References:

Agnihotram V. Ramanakumar, Marie-Elise Parent, Jack Siemiatycki; Risk of Lung Cancer from Residential Heating and Cooking Fuels in Montreal, Canada, American Journal of Epidemiology, Volume 165, Issue 6, 15 March 2007, Pages 634–642, https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwk117

Sent from my completely solar powered iPad using Tapatalk
My new website is up. Who wants to be a contributor?

I AM Skepdickus!

https://www.skepdick.us/blog/
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 28, 2017 12:45 am

The_Piper wrote:I'm not disputing the enjoyment of a camp fire, or the cozy heat of a stove or fireplace either. But my fire days are over, my lungs can't hack the smoke anymore (pun intended).

Burning plastic is just fucking stupid.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 28, 2017 10:21 am

Dont have any fires round here. In the older pre war districts you do find them but very few open fires mostly all stoves.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby felltoearth » Sep 28, 2017 12:17 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:

Beyond stupid.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#29  Postby The_Piper » Sep 28, 2017 12:20 pm

crank wrote:

Most folks have a chimney. Do you live in one of those wigwams where the smoke was supposed to diffuse out of the hides making up the walls? On a less moronic note, I've been really lucky in that all the fireplaces in places I've lived drew extremely well. it was really rare for smoke to get into the house. Usually the wind, or some fool didn't raise the damper. The big old house I used to live in had 4 fireplaces, 2 on top of 2 with their flews going up one big chimney, and a 5th in another room, all 5 of them drew very well. It helped that it was an extremely drafty house, which is why I was heating that bedroom with an open gas burner. The house and why I needed more heat. That is really really cold in these parts.
:lol:
Cool house! (Literally and figuratively. :naughty2: ) Well I live at a lower elevation than them, at the bottom of 2 large hills. The smoke getting to my place happens most often in the still of the evening, presumably cooler sinking air brings it along. My wood stove drew good on some days, poor on others, and others, hardly at all. We have a lot of windy days in the fall, winter, and spring. Even on a clear sunny day there may be roaring winds. :whine: Sometimes that caused downdrafts that puff smoke into the kitchen.
I now heat with a direct vent kerosene toyostove, that vents right out the wall through a 3 inch pipe. My house is small and well-insulated, but on the really cold nights, I need a space heater in the room on the other side of the house, or a jacket. Economical though.
If I lived in a warmer place, like Texas, this unit would be enough to keep a large house warm and toasty. ETA - That's cold (the thermometer) we usually have a few nights like that in October. By November it's an average low temp.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby The_Piper » Sep 28, 2017 12:26 pm

felltoearth wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

Beyond stupid.

I agree. I like my neighbor, and in his defense, it's mainly his girlfriend burning that shit. I saw her put part of an old carpet on the fire once. :crazy:
It's the culture up here for some people, burn everything. I remember my uncle up north used to burn his garbage too. He died of lung cancer in his 50's. He was also a smoker, but 50's is pretty young regardless. :(
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby The_Piper » Sep 28, 2017 12:32 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
Among the major sources of indoor air pollution are combustion by-products from heating and cooking. Concern is increasing that use of polluting heating and cooking sources can increase cancer risk. In Canada, most cooking and heating currently relies on electricity or natural gas, but, in the past, and still in some areas, coal and wood stoves were used for heating and gas and wood for cooking. In the course of a case-control study of lung cancer carried out in Montreal in 1996–2001, the authors collected information on subjects' lifetime exposure to such sources of domestic pollution by means of a personal interview with the subject or a next-of-kin proxy. Questionnaires were completed for 739 male cases, 925 male controls, 466 female cases, and 616 female controls. Odds ratios were computed in relation to a few indices of exposure to traditional heating and cooking sources, adjusting for a number of covariates, including smoking. Among men, there was no indication of excess risks. Among women, the odds ratio for those exposed to both traditional heating and cooking sources was 2.5 (95% confidence interval: 1.5, 3.6; n = 253). The findings for women suggest the need for research dedicated to exploring this association, with particular emphasis on improved exposure assessment.

My doc mentioned something to me about lung cancer risk and wood stoves in my last visit.

References:

Agnihotram V. Ramanakumar, Marie-Elise Parent, Jack Siemiatycki; Risk of Lung Cancer from Residential Heating and Cooking Fuels in Montreal, Canada, American Journal of Epidemiology, Volume 165, Issue 6, 15 March 2007, Pages 634–642, https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwk117

Sent from my completely solar powered iPad using Tapatalk

Just the smoke from burning your supper is probably carcinogenic. All smoke is, I'd guess. When I have a cooking mishap nowadays, I open the windows/doors regardless of the season, and vacate the room. After removing the food from the oven/burner, of course. :lol:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 28, 2017 4:18 pm

Whilst there are, as is well known, ill effects of smoke inhalation, I doubt that burning your supper occasionally is a major cancer risk, Piper:
https://www.epa.gov/burnwise/wood-smoke-and-your-health
Health effects of wood smoke
Smoke may smell good, but it's not good for you. Both short- and long-term exposures to particle pollution from wood smoke have been linked to a variety of health effects.
Short-term exposures to particles (hours or days) can aggravate lung disease, causing asthma attacks and acute bronchitis, and may also increase susceptibility to respiratory infections. Long-term exposures (months or years) have been associated with problems such as reduced lung function and the development of chronic bronchitis—and even premature death. Some studies also suggest that long-term PM 2.5 exposures may be linked to cancer and to harmful developmental and reproductive effects, such as infant mortality and low birth weight.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 28, 2017 4:22 pm

... Actually, there is possibly a greater cancer risk from actually eating the burnt supper.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby laklak » Sep 28, 2017 4:45 pm

Most of the fireplaces in Cape Town have chimney caps like this:

Top works like a weather vane, so the wind always sucks the smoke up the flue. Cape Town is really windy, so I figure they know what they're doing.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#35  Postby The_Piper » Sep 28, 2017 4:56 pm

DavidMcC wrote:... Actually, there is possibly a greater cancer risk from actually eating the burnt supper.

I don't know which is worse. I said carcinogenic, which I meant like eating a burned supper now and then probably won't give you cancer, but blackened food is also carcinogenic.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby The_Piper » Sep 28, 2017 5:03 pm

laklak wrote:Most of the fireplaces in Cape Town have chimney caps like this:

Top works like a weather vane, so the wind always sucks the smoke up the flue. Cape Town is really windy, so I figure they know what they're doing.
That's what we need around here. I wonder if they sell a 3 inch version. :lol: I looked up Capetown's wind stats and it's almost as windy there as here. :doh: Never a dull moment. :lol:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 28, 2017 5:07 pm

The_Piper wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:... Actually, there is possibly a greater cancer risk from actually eating the burnt supper.

I don't know which is worse. I said carcinogenic, which I meant like eating a burned supper now and then probably won't give you cancer, but blackened food is also carcinogenic.

When you see some BBQ's you really wonder what is worse.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#38  Postby The_Piper » Sep 28, 2017 5:11 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
The_Piper wrote:

When you see some BBQ's you really wonder what is worse.

Right? I used to love to cook with charcoal. Actually I just dug out my old grill the other day and was going to clean it up. I got an unopened bag of charcoal and lighter fluid for 50 cents at a church yard sale. Churches are good for some things!
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 28, 2017 5:13 pm

Careful with the lighter fuel.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#40  Postby The_Piper » Sep 28, 2017 5:24 pm

:lol: I used to buy Match light charcoal, that didn't need fuel. I doubt this will go down well for me, standing in front of a charcoal grill might be too much smoke. A camp fire certainly is. I used to love that too.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Design and Engineering.