Electronics repair DIY thread

Post your projects and questions here

Architecture, graphic design, your projects.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Electronics repair DIY thread

#1  Postby felltoearth » May 29, 2019 6:34 pm

So I have an old TEAC A3300SX that’s been sitting idle for some time. It’s a stereo 4 track R2R that played the role of my backup band in the 80s before the days of laptops.
Anyway, it still functions but needs some care. Playback/transport is fine, the volume pots need some contact spray but recording is low and distorted which leads me to think that the preamp is blown. Interestingly you can monitor the “source” or the “tape” while recording and when you switch to “source” the sound is fine but when you switch to “tape” that’s where the sound is low and distorted. So the issue is likely somewhere between the input preamp and recording head. I’m need to have a look at the schematic and see, as I need to check if the “source” switch just acts as a bypass passing the signal to the output and not going through a preamp stage at all.
I should say that I would have a “pro” look at this but even in Toronto I am having difficulty finding someone to respond to my inquiries.
Stay tuned.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Electronics repair DIY thread

#2  Postby felltoearth » May 29, 2019 6:43 pm

Here’s a picture

59677EB4-5681-4C81-8A1D-42495265850E.jpeg
59677EB4-5681-4C81-8A1D-42495265850E.jpeg (83.03 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tuco » May 29, 2019 7:05 pm

I should say that I would have a “pro” look at this but even in Toronto I am having difficulty finding someone to respond to my inquiries.

You gonna need art restorer to fix this antique ;) I have no idea but do tell how it goes.
tuco

Print view this post

#4  Postby felltoearth » May 29, 2019 7:51 pm

Definitely a thing of beauty.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Fenrir » Jun 01, 2019 7:55 am

There are dedicated forums for reel to reel enthusiasts.

Audionirvana and tapeheads are two that popped up for me on a basic search.

Maybe ask them.

It seems that stretched and degraded belts and hardened lithium grease in the rollers are the big bogeys and there are solutions available.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#6  Postby collecemall » Jun 02, 2019 1:01 am

If I had seen this 6 months ago I would have donated any part you wanted. My dad bought one when he was in the military in the early/mid 70's and it was in their home up until a few months ago. Barely used (if at all) since I was a kid in the 80's. My brother was making "mix tapes" with this when I was a toddler. Using a record player to play the songs and the reel to reel to record them. By the time I was old enough to have much interest cassette tapes were all the rage and it has sat gathering dust ever since I guess. We dropped it at the local goodwill place and they either would have sold it for pennies or thrown it away. It was just a large piece of equipment that wasn't ever used and HEAVY so mom wanted it gone. Neat to see someone have one from that time period. I wish it had gone to someone who could have used it. I hope you find what you need to get it up and running.
collecemall

Print view this post

#7  Postby felltoearth » Jun 02, 2019 2:37 am

Thanks for that. Yeah the thing’s a beast. Fun to haul to gigs.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Technical Design and Engineering.