Helium-filled HDDs

Architecture, graphic design, your projects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, Blip, ADParker

Helium-filled HDDs

#1  Postby Alan C » Feb 21, 2021 11:21 pm

These have been out for a little while now be seeing an article on a new Toshiba FC-MAMR HDD I recalled the first thing I thought of when this idea first came out; isn't there a looming shortage of helium on the horizon, if so, isn't it better reserved for it's cooling applications rather than filling up balloons and HDDs?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Helium-filled HDDs

#2  Postby Hermit » Feb 22, 2021 1:06 am

There'd be no helium shortage if someone could prevent Ben Shapiro from using it.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby tuco » Feb 22, 2021 7:38 am

That's probably close to reality Hermit, with regards to helium-filled HD ;)

Never heard of it, partly because my needs are satisfied with SSDs, but from what I gathered helium in the drives allows for lower resistance and more plates. In ballons it just makes them fly.
tuco

Print view this post

#4  Postby Alan C » Feb 23, 2021 10:17 pm

Yes, that's also what I understood as the reasoning for adding helium to drives. These days all drives at home for me are SSDs, many of them nvme. I assume the main reason for sticking with spinning platters is capacity?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Return to Technical Design and Engineering.