Practical application

Architecture, graphic design, your projects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, Blip, ADParker

Practical application

#1  Postby Macdoc » Nov 24, 2017 2:01 am

Gotta love it ....

New device boosts road time for Tesla, Leaf drivers
Date:
November 21, 2017
Source:
Vanderbilt University
Summary:
Nissan Leafs, which go about 107 miles on a charge, sometimes end up relegated to commuter cars due to battery-range worries. The mass-market, standard Tesla Model 3 can go double that but still can be disconcerting on long road trips. Both batteries could work up to 50 percent longer with a new device. It reconfigures modules -- clusters of battery cells -- in electric cars to be online or offline depending on whether they're going to pull down the other modules.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 095351.htm

snip

Pence's project management graduate class last year succeeded in building a working vehicle that uses magnets to levitate a few inches off an aluminum track. Batteries that ran down too quickly proved a major challenge.

When Potteiger returned from his fall 2016 NASA internship, he was eager to use what he'd learned in real-time prognostics: figuring out how much energy, say, a rocket or surface-roving device has left and how efficiently it's working. He heard some teaching assistants discussing Pence's levitation vehicle and started out volunteering to make a gauge for it.

Instead, the duo ended up with the battery switcher and are working with the Vanderbilt Center for Technology Transfer and Commercialization to get it to market.
v :clap:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Practical application

#2  Postby I'm With Stupid » Nov 24, 2017 2:10 am

I'd be interested to see what the second-hand market would be like for these first generation electric cars when better stuff comes along. Because with petrol cars, there's really not a massive difference between cars that came out 5 or even 10 years apart, but I wonder how someone's going to feel about buying a car with 70km range when all of the new ones can do 300+km.

Still, I'm glad that some people are taking the hit for the rest of us.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Practical application

#3  Postby Macdoc » Nov 24, 2017 3:06 am

Hehe - yet Prius batteries for hybrids are being remanufactured as low as $600 and Perhaps EVs will see a similar boost as the article covers,.
It will depend on the volume sold. 70 km at the right price where fuel is high may still be viable- These EV batteries are good for 100,000 km just to get to 80% capacity ...tech like that mentioned might boost range and improve longevity

Early days yet.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Technical Design and Engineering.