Reinvent the wheel ...not quite but damn

Architecture, graphic design, your projects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, Blip, ADParker

Reinvent the wheel ...not quite but damn

#1  Postby Macdoc » Aug 01, 2018 7:36 am

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Reinvent the wheel ...not quite but damn

#2  Postby Alan B » Aug 01, 2018 9:43 am

Bloody hell! Excellent thinking.
However, there's one major disadvantage. The gear change rod is wireless and one presumes actuated via a transmitter on the handle-bars. This will open to hacking or just plain swamping of the signal by a remote transmitter. It should be a hard-wired control system. The battery supply should be more easily accessible and part of the controller on the handle-bar. This would add to the complexity of the gear change rod by having slip rings for the control wires thus introducing wear and possibly regular replacement.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby newolder » Aug 01, 2018 10:00 am

A video of someone riding the bike up and down the equivalent an Alpine stage would be interesting too.
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby zulumoose » Aug 01, 2018 10:05 am

He claims it is 2 points of rolling friction compared to 8 points of sliding friction in a conventional drivetrain.

I'm not going to try and add up the 8 points in a conventional system, which also includes rolling friction components (jockey bearings) but what he has left out is that the driveshaft itself must have at least 2 internal bearings, neither the driven nor the driving ring of bearings are stabilizing the shaft.

So there must be at least 4 areas of friction losses. AND that's not counting the pedal, crank a and wheel bearings. I assume that means he starts counting after the crank and stops at the gears.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Alan B » Aug 01, 2018 10:09 am

All valid points. It would interesting to see the final version on the road. He didn't mention when that might be.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Technical Design and Engineering.