Sewing machine chat

Architecture, graphic design, your projects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, Blip, ADParker

Sewing machine chat

#1  Postby felltoearth » Dec 18, 2015 7:59 pm

The_Metatron wrote:I have to admit, I am pleased with how those little pouches turned out. I made the one on the right first, hand stitched across the bottom and up one side using waxed nylon dental floss. Tough stuff, but probably overkill. I stitched the second one up (and back down) each side with my sewing machine, and hand stitched a locking stitch at the open end of each side, so he'll never split the seams. I got the leather from a scrap box at a local leather shop for just a couple of bucks.

If they don't end up lost, those pouches will long outlive me.

Yep. They're nice. What kind of sewing machine do you have. I've been considering getting one myself.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)

Birthday
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Dungeons and Dragons

#2  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 18, 2015 8:42 pm

felltoearth wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:I have to admit, I am pleased with how those little pouches turned out. I made the one on the right first, hand stitched across the bottom and up one side using waxed nylon dental floss. Tough stuff, but probably overkill. I stitched the second one up (and back down) each side with my sewing machine, and hand stitched a locking stitch at the open end of each side, so he'll never split the seams. I got the leather from a scrap box at a local leather shop for just a couple of bucks.

Yep. They're nice. What kind of sewing machine do you have. I've been considering getting one myself.

Thanks.

My machine is a fifty year old Singer model 600. I got it for 35 bucks from an estate sale two doors down my street. I don't much care for the modern day electronic machines. I did a good cleanup and lubricating job on this one, and it works great.

I didn't expect it to be able to sew through two layers of that leather. Nice surprise.

Sent from my piece of crap iPad 1 using Tapatalk HD
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1450470949.770185.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1450470949.770185.jpg (516.3 KiB) Viewed 931 times
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Dungeons and Dragons

#3  Postby felltoearth » Dec 19, 2015 4:24 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

Thanks.

My machine is a fifty year old Singer model 600. I got it for 35 bucks from an estate sale two doors down my street. I don't much care for the modern day electronic machines. I did a good cleanup and lubricating job on this one, and it works great.

I didn't expect it to be able to sew through two layers of that leather. Nice surprise.

Sent from my piece of crap iPad 1 using Tapatalk HD

My parents had a fancy Bernina when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure my Aunt had a singer. I think I can get get one like yours for pretty cheap around here but I'm not interested in spending a lot of time on upkeep. How long did it take to get yours going?

ETA: actually, it might be appropriate to move these post to the Design and Tech forum.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)

Birthday
Print view this post

Re: Sewing machine chat

#4  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 19, 2015 5:39 pm

I ordered a tube of TriFlow grease for the gears and cams, and used TriFlow lubricant for the other moving surfaces. Getting the grease took longer than lubricating the machine. But, there was nothing wrong with mine, either.

I think you'd end up with a superior machine to buy an old mechanical one, then have it serviced professionally. Estate sales, yard sales, etc, are also a good place to look, I'm told.

I got an exceptional deal on mine, from an estate sale. It had a single owner. She kept the original manual and all of the accessories for it, in their original boxes.

Prior to getting that one, I have an old black lacquered Japanese version of a Singer model 15 that I bought used when I joined the Air Force in 1982 to sew stripes on uniforms. It only does a straight stitch, short or long, forward or backward. I still have that one, it works perfectly, too.

I'm not at all sure about the longevity of machines sold today in comparison. Sure, they'll all probably do just fine for casual use. But, they aren't built to span generations. And, there's no reason they couldn't be, except they'd be a lot more expensive.
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby laklak » Dec 19, 2015 6:23 pm

We've got a newer Brother, not sure of the model, electronic with a lot of different stitches. I want an old mechanical one because I need to sew heavy canvas and upholstery fabrics. Don't need fancy stitches for that sort of work, just an upholstery foot.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby felltoearth » Dec 19, 2015 7:31 pm

Thanks Laklak and Metatron. I was looking at newer electronic ones because I think they do better with regulating the thread tension. More research required.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)

Birthday
Print view this post

#7  Postby laklak » Dec 19, 2015 8:06 pm

They're easier to use, and just fine for most home uses. Plus you can do embroidery with most of them, which is pretty cool. I've done a couple of cushion covers with mine, using Sunbrella upholstery fabric, and it did OK though it didn't draw the thick fabric through evenly. I got bunchy bits in places, so I figured if it was struggling with that then it wouldn't manage marine grade canvas. I haven't tried it yet, but will do so soon as I need a cover for the new dinghy.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 19, 2015 8:27 pm

I think for that, you want something with a walking foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby laklak » Dec 19, 2015 9:53 pm

Yeah, I'm going to try to find one that will fit the machine we've got, they only cost about $25. Cheaper than another machine. You ever use one?
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Return to Technical Design and Engineering.