Shayna Lieb

Architecture, graphic design, your projects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, Blip, ADParker

Shayna Lieb

#1  Postby Macdoc » Nov 04, 2017 9:57 pm

http://shaynaleib.com/patisserie/

She cannot eat sweets....so she recreates them in ceramic and glass.....

talk about control of her materials....

I want :whine: ....I love illusions along this line and have a few but not at that level.

even when I was in Japan the ceramic or plastic menu items outside many restaurants was fascinating...

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Shayna Lieb

#2  Postby DavidMcC » Nov 05, 2017 5:14 pm

I would rather call these "cakes" "realistic models", rather than "illusions", so that it is clear what the source of the illusion is. (Some other illusions have their origins in the observer's eye-brain system or elsewhere in their brain, but in this case, it is in the model.)
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Macdoc » Nov 05, 2017 8:22 pm

When you brain sees something that it thinks is food and it turns out a clever replica of food that's an illusion .... when my clients see what they think is an ordinary pair of boots sitting on the shelf and they turn out to be made of wood....that's an illusion.

When it involved materials difficult to texture and still maintain mouth watering at first glance ...that's strong control of the material and an understanding of what is being actualized - ie the surface of a food stuff.

Some of her stuff is stylized ...ie the translucent cherries but not all and some is mouthwatering to the point my partner has said no to me buying a piece as "it would make her hungry all the time".

I have a green apple with a bite out of it that looks exactly in tecture and appearance like an actual apple but is made of a very hard white rock and crafted to the point the illusion is perfect until you pick the damn thing up and it weighs a ton......and never gets brown. Makes me smile each time I see it.

Of course the illusion is in your brain ..initially it says food then switches ...
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby DavidMcC » Nov 06, 2017 11:32 am

Macdoc wrote:When you brain sees something that it thinks is food and it turns out a clever replica of food that's an illusion .... when my clients see what they think is an ordinary pair of boots sitting on the shelf and they turn out to be made of wood....that's an illusion.

True, but what I am trying to say is that there are various classes of illusion, so it helps to be more specific than merely stating "it's an illusion".
In short, the word is too vague for use, unqualified, in a scientific context.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby DavidMcC » Nov 06, 2017 12:31 pm

Here is a long list of types and examples of optical illusion, but your realistic models don't seem to fit into any of them!:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_optical_illusions
Perhaps a type called "realistic model" should be added. OTOH, it's not a very interesting type, unless you're a catarer!
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby DavidMcC » Nov 06, 2017 1:26 pm

... The caterer's illusion would almost certainly fail if we had a wider visual spectrum, because the paints used would not have identical spectral reflectivities to the real cakes, etc. You could almost say that they were fudge cakes! :smug: :coffee:
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby DavidMcC » Nov 06, 2017 1:29 pm

Macdoc wrote:...
Of course the illusion is in your brain ...

True, but so is any perception. deceived or otherwise.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Technical Design and Engineering.