Small nuclear reactors on the drawing boards

Architecture, graphic design, your projects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, Blip, ADParker

Small nuclear reactors on the drawing boards

#1  Postby Macdoc » Jun 25, 2019 9:50 am

I'm a supporter of nuclear power but in many cases is it cost prohibitive renewables are just plain less costly.
This may help. Nice explanations

'The next wave of innovation': Nuclear reactors of the future are small and modular

The pros and cons of small modular reactors and where we could see them generating nuclear power

Emily Chung · CBC News · Posted: Jun 25, 2019 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: an hour ago

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/smal ... -1.5187469
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Small nuclear reactors on the drawing boards

#2  Postby Alan B » Jun 25, 2019 2:36 pm

Interesting.
I've skimmed through the article but could find no reference to storing radioactive waste and contaminated 'end of life' components.
Also interesting was in the CO2 chart there was no mention of hydrogen as a fuel source. I would suspect that if/when hydrogen becomes practical, it might make small scale nuclear fission reactors obsolete...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Svartalf » Jun 25, 2019 3:18 pm

Well, of course, once and if fusion becomes feasible, it will make fission obsolete... but we've been 5 years away from making fusion feasible for the last 50 years... Mobile fission reactors might be interesting, especially if they can be taken back to a servicing station for reloading and mainstenance, to a place equiped to take care of the waste material.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Alan B » Jun 25, 2019 3:24 pm

Svartalf wrote:... to a place equiped to take care of the waste material.

For the next 100,000 years or so... :whistle:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Macdoc » Jun 25, 2019 9:29 pm

Svartalf wrote:
... to a place equiped to take care of the waste material.

For the next 100,000 years or so... :whistle:

really guys ....the entire high level material of ALL the nuclear reactors in North America since the era began is 3 meters deep in a football pitch...

and

contains enough useable power to for to power the planet for 400 years with no new uranium mined.
The spent nuclear rods are stored in water at existing reactor sites waiting for re-manufacturing.

Calling it "nuclear waste" is nothing short of ludicrous.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... ar-energy/

Low level material as from hospitals, dentist offices, labs etc can be vitrified and is.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Svartalf » Jun 26, 2019 9:01 am

well, maybe the 'waste' can be recycled and used again, but that depends on using reactors that can use such recycled fuel, for instance, the MOX fuelled reactors currently in use in France do produce effective waste, because they can't use recycled fuel (they wre designed to use mixed stuff, in particular plutonium from decommissioned nuclear warheads)...
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Technical Design and Engineering.