Sustainable house planning

Tablelands tropical Australia

Architecture, graphic design, your projects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, Blip, ADParker

Sustainable house planning

#1  Postby Macdoc » Nov 11, 2015 6:13 pm

This is a long term project for us in Australia.

We will be selling our house in Cairns and moving to some land on the Tablelands.....partially due to sea level rise.

We are gathering ideas for sustainable homes for the tropics.

We just visited the Science Centre in San Francisco - California Academy of Science - which in itself could be an excellent topic for this forum

This dome spans the swamps and tidal regions of the Amazon and you walk around it and move up through the various levels to the canopy.

But the high light for us was the living roof.

We've seen many in Norway. So this is part of the wish list.

There is even a carbon postive offering in Australia for sustainable housing.

Australia’s first carbon-positive prefab house produces more energy than it consumes

02/23/2015
by Lucy Wang

Australian architecture firm ArchiBlox recently unveiled Australia’s first carbon-positive prefab home that’s packed with eco-friendly features and gorgeous to boot. Contemporary and cozy, this light-filled mobile home is sealed within an airtight 800-square-foot structure that locks in cool air and keeps Australia’s intense heat out. The solar panel-topped Carbon Positive House prototype can produce more energy than it consumes and is currently on display in Melbourne’s City Square.

So looking for input and ideas.

The Tablelands are tropical Australia and the house must be cyclone proof by code. General idea is 3 bedroom, open kitchen opening on to a large enclosed by crimsafe ( see through mesh) deck which is the main living area.
http://crimsafe.com.au/blog/gallery/alfresco-areas/

This is transparent to air flow.

An additional outside deck is optional.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Sustainable house planning

#2  Postby felltoearth » Nov 11, 2015 8:12 pm

I've designed living roofs and living walls (including the new city hall in Surrey) the principles for the green stuff is simple. It's where it meets the membrane and building envelope that the real thinking needs to be done. I'll be back with more thoughts later, in the mean time feel free to post questions.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)

Birthday
Print view this post

#3  Postby kiore » Nov 12, 2015 1:13 am

The living roof looks very interesting.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby OlivierK » Nov 12, 2015 1:35 am

Yes, they're very cool. I know someone who has one in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney. One consideration for where Macdoc is, though, would be the sheer volume of rain it would need to be able to handle. It's not only a high rainfall area, but one that can get hundreds of millimetres of rain in just a few hours, which is a big weight load on a living roof, as well as an interesting exercise in keeping the moisture out (already an issue in that area just from humidity).

Still, living roofs make great heat shields, so if it's doable, it has plenty of positives.

One thing I'd do differently on my own house (in the subtropics, but a similar, if less cyclonic, climate) is that on any conventional roofs, I'd avoid horizontal roof edges at the guttering. Yes, they're traditional. Yes, having horizontal top edges on your walls makes lining your walls easier. But near-horizontal guttering in our environment just collects crap, and struggles with heavy rain. Our own solution has so far been to leave guttering off altogether as we have alternative water sources, but that not without its issues, either.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Macdoc » Dec 31, 2015 2:07 pm

Under serious consideration...

Attention Middle-Earth: Pre-Fab Hobbit Houses Are A Reality 03 DECEMBER 2015

http://www.gq.com.au/lifestyle/art+desi ... lity,37721

Can you imagine living under your garden, your flowers, your trees, in a green vibrant living landscape? All this is can be possible with GREEN MAGIC HOMES technology. These elegant arched structures are made of fiber reinforced polymer modular components which are durable, flexible and waterproof. With endless design possibilities, these structures can be assembled quickly and easily, with minimal cost to create a gracious living environment in harmony with nature.

http://www.greenmagichomes.com/main.php
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 01, 2016 2:26 pm

Telly Tubbies?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby felltoearth » Jan 02, 2016 2:31 am

I like it!
felltoearth

Canada (ca)

Birthday
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Macdoc » Jan 02, 2016 3:56 am

We're going to check them out in Florida home base next November. It checks off a number of tick boxes for us.

This is the company we really like but too much money

http://www.archiblox.com.au
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Macdoc » Jan 02, 2016 6:17 pm

We has a plan maybe..

Design we like in our price range

Nothing like rendering it out to see what fits to stress the lappie

a lot we like

The lot from space

the house overlaid on that

The house would go between thos two trees and towards the forest edge.

Of course there is always SOMETHING ...sigh unsightly power line

might just work...I converted the 4th bedroom to the garage shed -

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby kiore » Jan 03, 2016 2:02 am

I like the significant decking with the breezeways for cooling. Would have thought raising it higher off the ground would not only improve this but give you storage and workspace underneath.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 03, 2016 2:29 pm

I just wonder what this house has to with sustainable building. One house in a large site with more natural energy sources than it requires. Anyone can build a sustainable house there.

Think about sustainable housing in the urban environment. Building sustainable high density housing is a totally different challenge.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby felltoearth » Jan 03, 2016 5:54 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:I just wonder what this house has to with sustainable building. One house in a large site with more natural energy sources than it requires. Anyone can build a sustainable house there.

Think about sustainable housing in the urban environment. Building sustainable high density housing is a totally different challenge.

Yep. Why don't you start a separate thread about it instead of derailing this one?
felltoearth

Canada (ca)

Birthday
Print view this post

#13  Postby Macdoc » Jan 03, 2016 6:02 pm

Scot Dutchy

SInce we are not building in an urban environment who gives a flying fuck.
Want to talk about - start your own thread.
We are actually building one...not just talking about it. :coffee:

•••

Kiore...the one in the photo is on concrete slab....the one we plan would be considered a low Queenslander

popular designs in the tropics here - with good air flow underneath.
We intend to live there into our old age so low is critical....want minimal steps and will contour for that purpose

We live in a low Queenslander now with solar water and some solar power and miminal a/c ( two bedrooms only ).
Fans and Crimsafe screens keep our living area and kitchen ( half the house ) very cool tho gets a tad chilly.

The Tablelands are a couple of degrees cooler down as low as zero and there is no provision for heating so a couple of tight rooms for both cooler time and hotter days to sleep is important as it is now for us.

The model incorporated pretty much what we have now Cairns on a smaller foot print. - wanted to see how it all fit.

GF wants bi-fold doors on the main space

something common in Aus...not so much around here in Canada. Closest I could come to the look. We agreed likely better to go this route than Crimsafe - still chatting tho and building our source list.
I prefer glass as the site has many birds and we will be planting to attract them and the house will face the rain forest patch. The area is known to global birders. I can still photograph through glass ...not so much through Crimsafe.

Last edited by Macdoc on Jan 04, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby felltoearth » Jan 03, 2016 6:31 pm

felltoearth

Canada (ca)

Birthday
Print view this post

#15  Postby Macdoc » Jan 03, 2016 6:53 pm

Thanks - in the resource list

•• latest collaberation with partner

feeling downright homey ...pictures of places we've been, magazines on the tables...fun :dance:

enjoying this exercise and picking up some rusty skills with SweetHome

need to find more object libraries

Interesting - I cannot see the lights on the rough rendering but shows up in the photo rendering.

Even night views

found some more toys

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 04, 2016 11:59 am

Macdoc wrote:SD

SInce we are not building in an urban environment who gives a flying fuck.
Want to talk about - start your own thread.
We are actually building one...not just talking about it.

Firstly my name is not SD! Ok.
Secondly you are saying you are going to make an environmentally friendly house in a area where any construction would be that due to the climate. This is a comedy of luxuries and has nothing to do with the environment.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17  Postby felltoearth » Jan 04, 2016 3:05 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Secondly you are saying you are going to make an environmentally friendly house in a area where any construction would be that due to the climate.

What does this even mean?
felltoearth

Canada (ca)

Birthday
Print view this post

#18  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 04, 2016 5:19 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Secondly you are saying you are going to make an environmentally friendly house in a area where any construction would be that due to the climate.

What does this even mean?

In an area like the tablelands with its climate your carbon foot print can easily be reduced.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Macdoc » Jan 04, 2016 5:22 pm

Too much schnapps perhaps...

The first step is the property and the design we want with lots of airflow and big roof area for solar water and panels as we have now in town. More extensive sustainable will come later.

The house is 99,500 Euro and the land it also that price so stuff your luxury comment where the sun don't shine....you never learn do you?? If you have nothing to contribute in a progressive way to the thread then bugger off :nono:

••••

The house is transportable which is why it's designed that way....I'd guess 4 flat beds or maybe 5.
The breezeways provide a lot of airflow - sound isolation, roof space for solar panels and the two bedrooms on the right or nearest in the render below

provide the potential for one or two AirBnB guests. We are only allowed one building on the property and with one + acres we can sprawl a bit.

We already have solar hot water and solar panels on the existing house in Cairns....this would allow more panels and perhaps allow us to go off grid with the inclusion of a Tesla battery wall if prices come down enough.

We are close enough to the equator that the sun switches overhead from slightly north to slightly south so orienting the house to follow that seasonal path will optimize the gain without mechanical tracking.

Sound isolation tho is a big factor. I will continue to be working from Australia as I do now for three months and that puts busy time in the middle of the night in Australia. So my bedroom office is completely on the other side of the house from Jude's and I can be messy and loud >:)

Jude is a research nurse and admitted OCD....we tolerate each other's foibles and meet in the middle on the kitchen tho I do think I'm more flexible....0:)

We intend to put a vertical bar gate on each breezeway and perhaps lose some of the internal breezeway doors to simple openings.It's fun to chase the resources and we expect many changes before it becomes a reality. :coffee:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 04, 2016 5:31 pm

Macdoc wrote:Too much schnapps perhaps...

The first step is the property and the design we want with lots of airflow and big roof area for solar water and panels as we have now in town. More extensive sustainable will come later.

The house is 99,500 Euro and the land it also that price so stuff your luxury comment where the sun don't shine....you never learn do you?? If you have nothing to contribute in a progressive way to the thread then bugger off :nono:

What! You live in area that only knows one thing most of the time namely sun and you are talking about a sustainable house on a plot of land 10 times its size. Well done :lol:

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Technical Design and Engineering.