The new Apple M1 ARM chip

This is how it starts. How will it end?

Architecture, graphic design, your projects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, Blip, ADParker

Re: The new Apple M1 ARM chip

#21  Postby I'm With Stupid » Dec 13, 2020 4:24 pm

I've ordered one. They're finally available in Malaysia. I reckon I can sell the Ryzen laptop I bought last year for the same price and still see a slight performance boost and a massive convenience boost. Just went for the base-model Air. I'll supplement that with a fast external SSD and that should be me sorted.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby felltoearth » Dec 13, 2020 9:45 pm

:awesome:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 14, 2020 7:05 am

I've been an Apple user (and programmer), literally for two decades, and haven't upgraded since I transitioned from PPC to Intel hardware. That process convinced me that I wasn't going to keep riding the train that stays current. I know through contact with the open source development community and from people who use peripherals more complicated than graphics tablets what kind of hell it can be to try to keep up with Apple's latest stuff.

I have one question for M1 adopters who only tell me they're acquiring the new hardware, but without any mention of what they actually plan to do with it. This tells me that I'm listening to Apple fanboys/grlz who do it to stay hip. I've watched two or three waves of Apple innovation pass by without ever hearing concisely what they really brought to the table besides flashier graphics, except providing trainers for the race to stay updated. It's all lovely, though, beautiful hardware and feature-packed software. After you pay the Apple premium for the brand new base system, which you simply must have, you'll soon be faced with the expense and aggravation of waiting for software that actually runs on the new chips. And you'll pay 10% of the base price to acquire new connectors so you can still use your perfectly adequate (and hopefully huge) investment in peripherals. So my question stands: What do you actually need this brand new shit for, other than to flash your bankroll? I'm happy for you if you like your new toys, but I still think you're suckers.

I didn't watch the video posted in the OP when this thread started, and just now watched the first several minutes, which was about all the hype I could swallow. That guy seems to be a zombie planted by Apple's marketing department. Blurb after blurb! Kool aid by the demijohn. A whole sky full of nauseating fanboy pyrotechnics by a guy who claims to know so little about tech, all he can shout is "efficiency, security, and battery life". Hint: Efficiency and battery life are actually related. Battery life is essential for hipsters who sit in cafés and pretend to be working.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Hermit » Dec 14, 2020 8:21 am

Cito di Pense wrote:I didn't watch the video posted in the OP when this thread started, and just now watched the first several minutes, which was about all the hype I could swallow. That guy seems to be a zombie planted by Apple's marketing department. Blurb after blurb! Kool aid by the demijohn. A whole sky full of nauseating fanboy pyrotechnics by a guy who claims to know so little about tech, all he can shout is "efficiency, security, and battery life". Hint: Efficiency and battery life are actually related. Battery life is essential for hipsters who sit in cafés and pretend to be working.

The presenter mentions "They have complete vertical control ... which no other computer maker can do or has been able to do..." as if it were a good thing to say about a corporation that has been notorious for monopolistic and rapacious practices for decades already.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#25  Postby I'm With Stupid » Dec 14, 2020 10:11 am

Cito di Pense wrote:I have one question for M1 adopters who only tell me they're acquiring the new hardware, but without any mention of what they actually plan to do with it.

I'll be honest mate, I wasn't aware we had to run it by you before we bought something.

But yeah, you got me. I'm buying it because I'm fucking loaded and want everyone to know it while I sit in the local Starbucks writing my next screenplay.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#26  Postby felltoearth » Dec 14, 2020 12:32 pm

Apple has always been the go-to for producing media. Audio recording, video and graphic design. All indications is that the new Silicon chips will allow for huge efficiencies in those areas.

As for longer battery life, it’s much appreciated when I’m not in the office.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 14, 2020 1:22 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:I have one question for M1 adopters who only tell me they're acquiring the new hardware, but without any mention of what they actually plan to do with it.

I'll be honest mate, I wasn't aware we had to run it by you before we bought something.

But yeah, you got me. I'm buying it because I'm fucking loaded and want everyone to know it while I sit in the local Starbucks writing my next screenplay.

You don't have to justify anything, or even keep your trend-sucking purchase decisions to yourself, but as long as you want to crow about how well-sorted you have yourself and your computing, expect somebody to ask you why you're so eager to tell us. That's the kind of shit people spend their days generating on fucking Facebook.

felltoearth wrote:Apple has always been the go-to for producing media. Audio recording, video and graphic design. All indications is that the new Silicon chips will allow for huge efficiencies in those areas.

Of course Apple is always cited by media producers but don't discount the fact that some users are wise to Apple and their approach to peripherals connectivity, and complain about it eloquently. Apple can't wait to sell you another connector to support your existing investments in peripherals. They make a lot of money that way, too. It's not just Apple Music and the Apple Store sales pitches.

Furthermore, what too many people mean when they talk about media production is the fancy advertising they can concoct for their website. My browser and 12-13 year-old hardware can still render, for example, the garish website that Branson's space tourism company throws up there, but struggles a bit to do it. I can imagine the fancy hardware and software they must have used to produce that shit. It's all about the benjamins, baby.

Longer battery life? Do you really want to behave like you're in the office for longer each day? If you own your own business, do what you have to do, capitalist running dog.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 14, 2020 1:29 pm

Hermit wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:I didn't watch the video posted in the OP when this thread started, and just now watched the first several minutes, which was about all the hype I could swallow. That guy seems to be a zombie planted by Apple's marketing department. Blurb after blurb! Kool aid by the demijohn. A whole sky full of nauseating fanboy pyrotechnics by a guy who claims to know so little about tech, all he can shout is "efficiency, security, and battery life". Hint: Efficiency and battery life are actually related. Battery life is essential for hipsters who sit in cafés and pretend to be working.

The presenter mentions "They have complete vertical control ... which no other computer maker can do or has been able to do..." as if it were a good thing to say about a corporation that has been notorious for monopolistic and rapacious practices for decades already.

Sad but true. Sad? Ahh, I dunno. I do feel sad for the polar bears, as their world melts around them. I wish the polar bears were winning, instead of everyone losing. We're such losers.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Hermit » Dec 14, 2020 2:26 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Sad but true. Sad? Ahh, I dunno. I do feel sad for the polar bears, as their world melts around them. I wish the polar bears were winning, instead of everyone losing. We're such losers.

Ah. Those poor polar bears.

You can't blame their sorry lot on Apple, though. Not entirely. While it is responsible for having pumped out 25.1 million metric tons of carbon dioxide in 2019, it has announced plans to be carbon neutral by 2030.

Rest assured that Apple won't fiddle the figures to prove the achievement when it crows about it. Corporations don't fiddle their figures. Fact! If necessary, it will buy indulgences - aka carbon offsets - to make up any discrepancies. If BP can market itself as an environmentally responsible, green company it is a cakewalk for a computer maker to do the same.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby felltoearth » Dec 14, 2020 4:15 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
felltoearth wrote:Apple has always been the go-to for producing media. Audio recording, video and graphic design. All indications is that the new Silicon chips will allow for huge efficiencies in those areas.

Of course Apple is always cited by media producers but don't discount the fact that some users are wise to Apple and their approach to peripherals connectivity, and complain about it eloquently. Apple can't wait to sell you another connector to support your existing investments in peripherals. They make a lot of money that way, too. It's not just Apple Music and the Apple Store sales pitches.

Furthermore, what too many people mean when they talk about media production is the fancy advertising they can concoct for their website. My browser and 12-13 year-old hardware can still render, for example, the garish website that Branson's space tourism company throws up there, but struggles a bit to do it. I can imagine the fancy hardware and software they must have used to produce that shit. It's all about the benjamins, baby.

Longer battery life? Do you really want to behave like you're in the office for longer each day? If you own your own business, do what you have to do, capitalist running dog.

The whole peripheral thing is a funny joke that contains a half truth. The other half of the truth is almost every Windows owner I know that does media has a USB dock connected to their computer for one reason or another. Main reason being is ground loops from shitty non compliant equipment.
Also, one way or another they’ve had to purchase an extra card for their dual screen set up.

Potato, potato, so lets call the whole thong off.

As for content creation, well the web is the butter on the bread. Everything needs content now. There’s no limit to the supply. So, let’s just say that if you can’t load a website on your 12 year old computer you’re likely not their target market.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby felltoearth » Dec 16, 2020 11:06 pm

Also one thought that came to mind as I was drawing on my iPad today.

It wouldn’t surprise me that Apple releases a touch screen iMac now that they have this chip. Screen size has pretty much been the constraint. My guess is around the time time of the the 3rd gen of Silicon CPUs.

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 17, 2020 9:28 am

felltoearth wrote:Also one thought that came to mind as I was drawing on my iPad today.

It wouldn’t surprise me that Apple releases a touch screen iMac now that they have this chip. Screen size has pretty much been the constraint. My guess is around the time time of the the 3rd gen of Silicon CPUs.

That's great if you're using a laptop on your lap instead of a monitor on your desk unless you want a lot of useless desk real estate behind your monitor. Apple has engineered its OS user interface guidelines so that using a pointing device is increasingly clumsy (i.e., imprecise at the level of having to pay too much attention to where the cursor is). That is, it's only significant in manipulating user interface widgets, and this is even the case in OS versions as old as El Capitan. They're doing what they can to make it necessary to adopt swiping and tapping for those functions and for manipulating web pages and similarly-rendered shit, a sop to people whose hand-eye coordination stops short of deft. I'd love that if I were a user interface geek, but I spend too much time in the terminal at the keyboard to be impressed by how efficient that can be compared to expertise at using a keyboard. There's no comparison and that war can go right the fuck on without my input. Power users (the real ones) use the keyboard. Metrosexuals sitting in coffee shops or walking along the boulevard with their faces glued to their smartphones love touch screens. I want them to die in pedestrian-automobile collisions.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#33  Postby felltoearth » Dec 17, 2020 1:58 pm

Ad homs aside, if you write or code you have no real need for a touch interface a keyboard is fine. Most of what I do (which is similar to design work a lot of the world does) was adapted to a limited computer interface insufficient for drawing production. The mouse was a leap, but it really sucks. Designers like pens and surfaces.

As for laptop v desktop. About 5 years ago (maybe longer) Apple applied for a patent for a desktop that can flatten like a drafting table.

The latest Mac OS allows you to run iOS apps. Early reports are that it sucks, but touch screens are inevitable. Unlike the current windows paradigm when touch screens simply seems to support menu diving, I think this will once again transform computer use for people working in visual mediums.

Personally a 27” drawing tablet is really appealing as I spend my 40th hour this week marking up drawing sets on an 11” iPad

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Challenger007 » Dec 24, 2020 3:29 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
felltoearth wrote:I see re 8GB memory.

The point I’m making is that a version pf FCP prior to this release is written for x86 and is emulated on the M1 using Rosetta. Once a version of FCP is available for the M1 (maybe it already is) then we’ll see true performance benchmarks.

Edit: According to this post Apple is showcasing a new version of FCP for the M1 today in a web stream conference

https://www.fcp.co/hardware-and-softwar ... licon-macs

I'm pretty sure they said that FCP was running natively from day one. All of the videos showing it suggest that it's already running natively, not via Rosetta. One also tested Lightroom, and was using Rosetta for that, but not for FCP.

Actually, the Lightroom they were running was Classic too, so I hope that's not an issue, because Classic is the old one that doesn't have all of the latest features. I used to have to use that when I was running a Windows 8 machine because it wouldn't run the CC version.

To be honest, it seems to me more that this is purely fanning the hype around their phones. But in fact, their performance is not the top one, Samsung will be cooler. The iPhone takes only cool cameras, but not every blogger here needs a powerful camera.
Challenger007

Name: Alex Johnson

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby felltoearth » Dec 26, 2020 2:31 pm

This has nothing to do with iPhones other than the fact that lessons learned from making their own CPUs for iPhones were applied to Silicon.

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby I'm With Stupid » Dec 28, 2020 4:44 am

A new comparison of similarly-priced laptops in Adobe Premiere and Da Vinci Resolve (with the new beta versions for M1 chip computers).

The big thing for me is the constantly smooth playback. There's nothing more annoying that editing a sequence and trying to get a feel for the timing of it, only for the computer to start dropping frames or pausing. You end up having to render the sequence to play it back full speed, only to realise you'd prefer to cut it slightly differently, and having to go through the process again.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#37  Postby felltoearth » Dec 28, 2020 2:07 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:A new comparison of similarly-priced laptops in Adobe Premiere and Da Vinci Resolve (with the new beta versions for M1 chip computers).

The big thing for me is the constantly smooth playback. There's nothing more annoying that editing a sequence and trying to get a feel for the timing of it, only for the computer to start dropping frames or pausing. You end up having to render the sequence to play it back full speed, only to realise you'd prefer to cut it slightly differently, and having to go through the process again.

Quoted for youtube URL fix

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

The new Apple M1 ARM chip

#38  Postby felltoearth » Feb 15, 2021 3:18 pm

Interesting review here comparing Intel based 2019 MBP and the new M1. Silicon is definitely the future here.

I’ve also noticed a lot of software devs now have universal applications including MS Office 360.

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#39  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 17, 2021 4:41 am

felltoearth wrote:Interesting review here comparing Intel based 2019 MBP and the new M1. Silicon is definitely the future here.

I’ve also noticed a lot of software devs now have universal applications including MS Office 360.

As much a damning indictment of how much of a rip off they were previously as a comment on how good the new ones are. I've noticed an increase in the number of very new Intel Macbooks on the local selling groups on Facebook. Someone selling a 2019 i5 for the same price as a new M1 at the moment. They'll probably get someone who doesn't do their research to buy it.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#40  Postby felltoearth » Feb 17, 2021 9:35 pm

The 2012 I have is still an amazing MBP and my 2019 is a really capable machine. It’s hard to compare because it really is apples and oranges. Point taken that the effort on the latest models to advance them wasn’t that great. I’m guessing they had their entire A team working on the M1.

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Design and Engineering.