The new Apple M1 ARM chip

This is how it starts. How will it end?

Architecture, graphic design, your projects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, Blip, ADParker

Re: The new Apple M1 ARM chip

#61  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 26, 2021 3:38 am

Alan C wrote:It does seem a bit unwarranted to me. As I understand it displays are reasonable to replace on an iPhone with the proper tools and considerations, compare that to what I was told about Samsung display replacement up to at least two years ago; even with a skilled technician the chances of cracking the display when trying to remove it was decidedly non-zero. They're a bastard to remove. It is unfortunate to see RAM and now SSDs being soldered to the mainboards now but it's not just Apple doing it, it's the way things are moving. I've personally serviced Dell and Lenovo laptops and plenty of them were bastards to fix as well, particularly certain Thinkpad models requiring almost complete disassembly to get to the mainboard or trying to replace a Yoga LCD without the fucking thing cracking.

I'm reminded of the stink caused with Foxxconn employee deaths a couple of years ago and the hate thrown at Apple, Foxxconn is a big company making things for other companies besides Apple but I don't recall seeing any criticism of these others. Criticise for sure but I'd suggest being wary of being one-eyed about it.

For the record I own a few Apple products, also I have a Ryzen/Nvidia PC [mainly for gaming] I've put together and I've assembled a modest intel workstation for the missus. I've dabbled in ubuntu and a Raspberry Pi 4. I was a die-hard Amiga user back in the day that wouldn't have anything to do with Wintel but the writing was on the wall near the end of the nineties so I held my nose and got a PC.

I think there's a difference though between something being awkward or difficult to repair because of the design of the device, and something being technically easy to repair but then having something in place that prevents it from working after someone has repaired it themselves. Imagine if a car manufacturer said "yeah you can bring it to a mechanic, but your brakes might be a bit dodgy unless you get it repaired with us." It's monopolistic behaviour and it should be illegal.

My computer doesn't technically even have seperate RAM, so if something goes wrong, the entire processor needs replacing. That's fine. It's a design choice that makes the computer faster/more efficient. They shouldn't be obliged to make things easily repairable, but they should be obliged to not include artificial barriers to repair so that you have to go to them.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 26, 2021 3:46 am

felltoearth wrote:Sorry, how are iPhones unrepairable? It’s the whole basis of the warrant, the refurbished phone market and the numerous phone repair shops within a stone’s throw of my house.

In the video, he shows that if you swap components between two iPhones, they can detect that they're not the original parts and will stop certain functions of the phone working properly (the power button, face detect and certain camera features, to be precise). Basically the parts come paired with each other and won't play nicely with any other parts, even genuine Apple parts from another brand new iPhone 12. And presumably only Apple have the technology to pair the devices again after repair. So you can repair them, but they won't work properly afterwards, presumably for artificial reasons that have specifically been put in place to prevent anyone other than Apple themselves repairing them. This is just on the latest iPhone, which I guess aren't being repaired by independent shops at the moment because they're all still under warranty.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#63  Postby blindfaith » Mar 26, 2021 9:05 am

felltoearth wrote:Sorry, how are iPhones unrepairable? It’s the whole basis of the warrant, the refurbished phone market and the numerous phone repair shops within a stone’s throw of my house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you even watch the video?
Its the new Iphones that are completely unrepairable, previous versions can be repaired.
Apple have also now decided to solder in the hard drive into macs, so if your logic board dies, say goodbye to your data. Also say goodbye to upgrading your laptop as the ram is also soldered in.
Apple have also stopped chip manufacturers releasing to the general public to prevent people from repairing their logic boards, many chips now impossible to source.
This is all done to prevent the right to repair.
The best explanation for the absence of convincing reasons for god's existence is god's nonexistence

john shook
blindfaith

Name: darren
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#64  Postby blindfaith » Mar 26, 2021 9:19 am

The best explanation for the absence of convincing reasons for god's existence is god's nonexistence

john shook
blindfaith

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#65  Postby felltoearth » Mar 26, 2021 11:15 am

blindfaith wrote:

If you don’t format the URL properly the the videos don’t display in Tapatalk.

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#66  Postby felltoearth » Mar 26, 2021 11:22 am

You’re going to have to walk me through the issue because he doesn’t really explain it.

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#67  Postby felltoearth » Mar 26, 2021 11:58 am

https://www.ifixit.com/News/45921/is-th ... ble-iphone

Ok reading this less abstruse article (right to repair people can be their own worst enemies) it seems that the iPhones are in fact repairable but only authorized people who have apple tools and software to do so. First, while it doesn’t make it right, Apple is by no means the only company with this practice– hello Tesla

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93wy8v/ ... sla-repair

There seems to be conflict even within Apple on this issue however, so it’s not necessarily the evil empire that is supposed here.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/30/2134 ... ion-policy

We’ll see how this pans out because I don’t think Apple is necessarily 100% against repairability or fully into planned obsolescence given that a lot of their tech still works well long after a lot of other tech company’s products are essentially bricks.

Steel-manning Apple, I can understand a reluctance for them to openly provide the means to reverse engineer their products. I also understand their position on possible issues with safety and security, a not unfounded concern given that certain phones were banned from airplanes for catching on fire. It’s not a good look and it’s bad for business, and bad for the brand.

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby blindfaith » Mar 26, 2021 5:51 pm

it seems that the iPhones are in fact repairable but only authorized people who have apple tools and software to do so

Yes and who do you think those people are? i will give you a clue....Apple.

We’ll see how this pans out because I don’t think Apple is necessarily 100% against repairability or fully into planned obsolescence given that a lot of their tech still works well long after a lot of other tech company’s products are essentially bricks.

really? from what i have seen they are definitely 100% against repairability and fully into obsolescence, here is yet another example for you

john shook
blindfaith

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#69  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 26, 2021 7:02 pm

This is a good video on planned obsolescence, which of course Apple makes an appearance:

But it starts with a cartel of lightbulb manufacturers deliberately making their products worse.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#70  Postby felltoearth » Mar 26, 2021 10:08 pm

blindfaith wrote:
it seems that the iPhones are in fact repairable but only authorized people who have apple tools and software to do so

Yes and who do you think those people are? i will give you a clue....Apple.

really? from what i have seen they are definitely 100% against repairability and fully into obsolescence, here is yet another example for you

I don’t actually think you are engaging with my arguments here or the articles posted, so I’m done.

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#71  Postby felltoearth » Mar 26, 2021 10:08 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:This is a good video on planned obsolescence, which of course Apple makes an appearance:

But it starts with a cartel of lightbulb manufacturers deliberately making their products worse.

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Alan C » Apr 21, 2021 11:34 pm

Regarding planned obsolescence I would point to my experience and what I've seen for mobile phones, it seems to me you get a lot more support for keeping the OS up to date on an iPhone compared to most Android devices I've seen. I have a few years-old xperia XA lying around at home, any Sony support for updating the OS seems long passed the last time I checked it.

Getting back to the M1 it would appear they're using the same chip in the new iMacs [along with a long overdue webcam update], previous rumours talked about a new iteration. The magnetic power connection is an interesting change as well as plugging an ethernet cable into the external power adapter. I admit personally I prefer a discreet desktop I can upgrade myself hardware-wise so I generally stay away from AIO devices.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Technical Design and Engineering.