2011: What a year in games!

So many games, so little time...

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 2011: What a year in games!

#21  Postby Animavore » Dec 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Story? :scratch:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Matt8819 » Dec 13, 2011 10:05 am

Kerolm wrote:I really don't think Dark Souls should be rated against Skyrim, since Dark Souls really isn't an RPG. It is more of a hack'n slash dungeon delver action game. I finished the thing and its story is on par with "Are you badass enough to save the president" from the NES days.

Seriously, there is about 3-4 minutes of story development in the whole game.

Really, the game isn't that hard, I beat Gwyn on the first try... (the other bosses not so much)

What story? You played it for the story?

Edit: Holy monkey fuck, this is post number 1000?
Matt8819
RS Donator

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby akigr8 » Dec 13, 2011 10:11 am

matt8819 wrote:
Kerolm wrote:I really don't think Dark Souls should be rated against Skyrim, since Dark Souls really isn't an RPG. It is more of a hack'n slash dungeon delver action game. I finished the thing and its story is on par with "Are you badass enough to save the president" from the NES days.

Really, the game isn't that hard, I beat Gwyn on the first try... (the other bosses not so much)

:dance: :clap:
I once applied for a job as a mustard cutter.

But unfortunately I wasn’t quite good enough.
akigr8

Name: Kim

Print view this post

#24  Postby Kerolm » Dec 13, 2011 2:05 pm

matt8819 wrote:

I didn't play it for the story, as I had a rough idea of what I was getting into. But I do enjoy a good story and I don't think an action game needs to suffer gameplay-wise as a result. Anyway, I am just considering the game as-is and concluded that it isn't really an RPG and as such should probably be compared to other games of similar type.

From Software does make good cutscenes though. (what few there were)
Kerolm

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Matt8819 » Dec 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Kerolm wrote:
matt8819 wrote:

I didn't play it for the story, as I had a rough idea of what I was getting into. But I do enjoy a good story and I don't think an action game needs to suffer gameplay-wise as a result. Anyway, I am just considering the game as-is and concluded that it isn't really an RPG and as such should probably be compared to other games of similar type.

From Software does make good cutscenes though. (what few there were)

That's one of the things I really liked. The cutscenes were good, and didn't interrupt the flow of the game at all.
Matt8819
RS Donator

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Animavore » Dec 13, 2011 9:03 pm

I also liked there was no story.
Do you know why I didn't like DA:2 and Fallout and am unlikely to like Skyrim?
Because there is a story.

For me games are like women: I just want to play with them, I don't want to know their life story.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Matt8819 » Dec 13, 2011 9:09 pm

Animavore wrote:I also liked there was no story.

For me games are like women: I just want to play with them, I don't want to know their life story.

Jon Lajoie wrote:I can't have sex with your personality, and I can't put my penis in your college degree, and I can't shove my fist in your childhood dreams, so why're you sharing all this information with me?
Matt8819
RS Donator

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Animavore » Dec 13, 2011 9:14 pm

It's lucky women don't play (computer) games or I might get called on that :tehe:

:hide:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#29  Postby paceetrate » Dec 17, 2011 3:42 am

Animavore wrote:I also liked there was no story.

You should probably give Monster Hunter a shot if you have either a Wii or a PSP. It has almost no storyline (although a decent amount of world lore, but you have to go and look for that and it's not at all required for the game.) And while not quite as insanity-inducingly difficult as Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, it brings Ye Olde Nintenhard back to the modern age. Especially Freedom Unite, the latest PSP game released in the west. The Wii game, MH3, was a bit more toned down in difficulty, although that was mainly from vastly improved mechanics. Freedom Unite beats all for sheer amount of content, however. I've spent over 400 hours on it, and I haven't even fought all the monsters in it yet. (Just two to go, though.)

Plus it doesn't take itself too seriously. ;3
paceetrate

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to The Arts & Entertainment