A Comparative religion inquiry into Modern art

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

A Comparative religion inquiry into Modern art

#1  Postby vernichter » Feb 27, 2016 8:02 pm

Recent scientific research points to the evidence that the attitude of art lovers towards modern art is religious in nature

http://reverent.org/holy_black_square/
vernichter
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: A Comparative religion inquiry into Modern art

#2  Postby campermon » Feb 27, 2016 8:55 pm

Welcome to the forum vernichter!

:beer:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tuco » Feb 27, 2016 9:09 pm

Not sure about religious, and I did check the link, but art is arbitrary by nature while art lovers often sound like they do not think it is: this is art and that is junk. btw what fascinates me, about religious art, is the gold.
tuco

Print view this post

#4  Postby igorfrankensteen » Feb 28, 2016 4:49 am

Welcome to the forums indeed, but I wouldn't agree that the article supports that this was a SCIENTIFIC study.

I've been seeing "studies" and "experiments" with art for my whole life. I haven't seen one yet which followed even the most simple versions of scientific method and principles.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 28, 2016 6:56 pm

Vernichter?

That strikes many bells in Dutch. A "nicht" is a female cousin or niece but it is also the word for a gay in a negative sense. The point is a noun is turned into a verb. To gay someone.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby vernichter » Feb 28, 2016 8:00 pm

igorfrankensteen wrote:I wouldn't agree that the article supports that this was a SCIENTIFIC study.

I've been seeing "studies" and "experiments" with art for my whole life. I haven't seen one yet which followed even the most simple versions of scientific method and principles.

Perhaps, you could formulate some scientific objections?

Scot Dutchy wrote:Vernichter?

That strikes many bells in Dutch. A "nicht" is a female cousin or niece but it is also the word for a gay in a negative sense. The point is a noun is turned into a verb. To gay someone.

If you don't understand something you can highlight the word and do an internet search.
vernichter
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#7  Postby igorfrankensteen » Feb 28, 2016 10:44 pm

vernichter:

No scientific efforts have been presented with this, to object to.

By the way, the link as posted in the thread wont work, at least from where I am. I used the verbiage in it to locate what I think is what you referenced.

It talks about a fairly common kind of "experiment" wherein various people were asked to say if they recognized the difference between some art which other people had lauded and paid highly for, and some scribbles by the author. When some people could not, this was assumed to mean that all art was nonsense.

Another part of it, referred to how SOME people, who had grown up with training that the placement of a certain sized object in a room, indicated that it was supposed to be there for holy veneration, and that when those particular people were presented with an artists' display, in which a black rectangle was placed in the same position, that those people objected to this as being an affront to their beliefs. That in turn, was used to claim that therefore art addresses the same areas of the mind as religious belief.

Nothing but observations and assumptions and opinions were presented.

If there's more to this that what I found, I'll need a link which works,in order to see it.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby The_Metatron » Feb 28, 2016 10:46 pm

vernichter wrote:
igorfrankensteen wrote:I wouldn't agree that the article supports that this was a SCIENTIFIC study.

If you don't understand something you can highlight the word and do an internet search.

He doesn't need to do an internet search to figure out a Dutch word, he is fluent.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 29, 2016 12:40 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
vernichter wrote:

He doesn't need to do an internet search to figure out a Dutch word, he is fluent.

Thanks Jesse :thumbup:

vernichter where did you pick up your tag? It is very bad terminology in Dutch. In fact in the gay scene it is verging on the equivalent of verkrachter (rapist).

In German it means annihilator.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Sendraks » Feb 29, 2016 12:43 pm

Thanks for that Scot, very informative! :)
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 29, 2016 12:46 pm

Your welcome. :cheers:

But it is an odd tag.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby vernichter » Feb 29, 2016 8:04 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
In German it means annihilator.

So finally you looked it up. Good. However "nihilist" is the proper translation.
vernichter
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#13  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 01, 2016 10:50 am

Nope nihilist is not a good translation. Far too subtle. I wonder whose sockpuppet he was?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby solipsist » Mar 11, 2016 11:12 pm

One night I was strolling through Venezia and on the bank of one of the smaller channels I wandered into an art gallery. It had Malevich exhibition. Including The Black Suprematic Square. I noticed that the painting was secreting chrism through one of its cracks. And fragrant odor was over the exhibition hall.
solipsist
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#15  Postby solipsist » May 07, 2016 11:28 pm

What actually bothers me is that Mr. Malevich called his Black Square "Suprematic" and his art movement "Suprematism." This word is actually an alternative spelling of "supremacism." This means that Mr. Kazimir Malevich is something like Dr. David Duke.
While Dr. Duke is universally debunked, for some reason Mr. Malevich is allowed to preach his supremacism.
solipsist
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Hobbes Choice » May 08, 2016 10:48 pm

vernichter wrote:Recent scientific research points to the evidence that the attitude of art lovers towards modern art is religious in nature

http://reverent.org/holy_black_square/

This is hardly research, and it is definitely not "science". Its not even remotely self critical or self reflective - a minimum criterion for it to be called "research".

You can just as easily claim that religion has an element of art to it, and that art has precedence over religion.
There is no doubt that human art predates any particular religion, and has religion doe not in any way prescribe artistic practices it is totally obvious that the assertion of this thread is COMPLETELY backwards.
All that you can say about this (ahem!) evidence is that religion has used art; and you simply cannot conclude that art is religious.
Hobbes Choice
Banned User

Name: Arthur Noni Mauss

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Return to The Arts & Entertainment