Amazing beautiful blend of CGI and dance

I have't seen anything this good before

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Amazing beautiful blend of CGI and dance

#1  Postby crank » Jun 12, 2016 7:52 pm

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Amazing beautiful blend of CGI and dance

#2  Postby Fallible » Jun 13, 2016 9:57 am

I'm sure it's beautiful, Crank, but I had to turn it off extremely quickly, because it really strongly brought on my completely ridiculous phobia of clusters of lots of things close together. Isn't it stupid? This is very rare in my experience. Still, might be worth mentioning just in case anyone else here is similarly afflicted
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Mike_L » Jun 13, 2016 10:34 am

Fallible wrote:I'm sure it's beautiful, Crank, but I had to turn it off extremely quickly, because it really strongly brought on my completely ridiculous phobia of clusters of lots of things close together. Isn't it stupid? This is very rare in my experience. Still, might be worth mentioning just in case anyone else here is similarly afflicted

I take it you're no fan of the stippling technique for creating halftones in ink drawings...?

:evilgrin:

Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Fallible » Jun 13, 2016 10:41 am

Strangely, that doesn't elicit a strong response. I've yet to work out the odd specifics of what triggers it, but that top video made me feel sick and inexplicably panicked. :think:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Mike_L » Jun 13, 2016 11:27 am

I have to admit I didn't like it either. I admire the artistry of both the dance and the computer rendering, but I don't like the sum of the two. In some way it reminded me of Gunther von Hagen's plasticised cadavers, which he likes to pose in an assortment of flayed states. (Shudder).
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Fallible » Jun 13, 2016 12:02 pm

Ah yes, I saw a programme on him. Bit weird.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Mike_L » Jun 13, 2016 12:11 pm

Fallible wrote:Bit weird.

...to say the least! :smile:
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Mazille » Jun 13, 2016 12:27 pm

I liked the fat, golden one.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Animavore » Jun 13, 2016 1:41 pm

Mike_L wrote:I have to admit I didn't like it either. I admire the artistry of both the dance and the computer rendering, but I don't like the sum of the two. In some way it reminded me of Gunther von Hagen's plasticised cadavers, which he likes to pose in an assortment of flayed states. (Shudder).

That's what I want done to my body.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10  Postby crank » Jun 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Fallible wrote:I'm sure it's beautiful, Crank, but I had to turn it off extremely quickly, because it really strongly brought on my completely ridiculous phobia of clusters of lots of things close together. Isn't it stupid? This is very rare in my experience. Still, might be worth mentioning just in case anyone else here is similarly afflicted

That's a new one, obviously irrational, but then that's what phobias are all about. Do things like ant beds, crowd shots at like a rock show or football game trigger this? Does it require movement of the clusters? Possibly movement with apparent agency? Something had to initiate the phobia, some weird association. Like ants eating a corpse, that could look vaguely like the living animal made of little bits moving around with seeming intent.

Anyways, you're being afraid is related to what I was thinking while watching it, especially the ones with strings/ribbons or dots with nothing solid underneath, that these effects would be fantastic in horror/sci-fi thriller type movies. There is something eerie, something to raise the hairs on the back of the neck, in seeing seemingly human, or humanoid, dissolving, or just moving and shape-shifting, even merging with another. The most visceral feeling like that that I get due to special effects is something I first saw in Jacob's Ladder, where Tim Robbins kept perceiving people with their heads shaking back and forth, like a 'no' shaking, but extremely fast to the point of blurring. It's a technique I've since seen used by numerous directors/special effects guys, and it still elicits a pretty deep unease. It isn't always the head, or just the head, doing the shaking. I'm unaware of seeing it used before Jacob's Ladder, but whoever came up with it first had a great idea.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Fallible » Jun 13, 2016 5:38 pm

crank wrote:

That's a new one, obviously irrational, but then that's what phobias are all about. Do things like ant beds, crowd shots at like a rock show or football game trigger this?

The ants would affect me, crowds much less so, although we had an ad on TV here recently where skin was represented by hundreds of naked bodies all crammed together, which I couldn't watch. There was also a picture I came across of a skull which apparently showed the effects of bone cancer - I'm not sure about that, but the bone of the skull itself was made up of hundreds of very thin outward-facing spikes, again all very close together.

Does it require movement of the clusters?

No, although I find some moving images unbearable too.

Possibly movement with apparent agency? Something had to initiate the phobia, some weird association. Like ants eating a corpse, that could look vaguely like the living animal made of little bits moving around with seeming intent.

The only incident I can remotely link it to was something that happened when I was about 8. I was playing in my grandparents' driveway, and accidentally killed a spider I was examining. It turned out to be a pregnant female, and I'd killed it in such a way as to expose the hundreds of eggs inside its abdomen.

Anyways, you're being afraid is related to what I was thinking while watching it, especially the ones with strings/ribbons or dots with nothing solid underneath, that these effects would be fantastic in horror/sci-fi thriller type movies. There is something eerie, something to raise the hairs on the back of the neck, in seeing seemingly human, or humanoid, dissolving, or just moving and shape-shifting, even merging with another. The most visceral feeling like that that I get due to special effects is something I first saw in Jacob's Ladder, where Tim Robbins kept perceiving people with their heads shaking back and forth, like a 'no' shaking, but extremely fast to the point of blurring. It's a technique I've since seen used by numerous directors/special effects guys, and it still elicits a pretty deep unease. It isn't always the head, or just the head, doing the shaking. I'm unaware of seeing it used before Jacob's Ladder, but whoever came up with it first had a great idea.

Yeah, I know what you're referring to. I don't remember seeing the effect before that, either, but something similar appears in The Matrix number 3, when Neo is invading Agent Smith's body. I can see how use of this kind of motion capture/CGI would be very effective in the situations you mentioned; although I don't think I'd watch. I love a good scare when I know I'm safe, but the phobia makes me think I'm not. I'm thinking about seeing if I can work on getting rid of it, but it doesn't affect my daily life that much, so I haven't got around to it yet.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to The Arts & Entertainment