Audiobooks sold alongside hard copies?

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Audiobooks sold alongside hard copies?

#1  Postby EnlightningLinZ » Jun 01, 2010 3:21 pm

I love buying books because I like having the hard copies in my apartment to refer to. Something I've read will often come up in conversation, and since I'm terrible at re-telling stories I usually pick up the book and flip to the story.

But I also don't have nearly enough time to get through all of the books that I buy, so I would love to get the audio version of the books. But I can't justify buying a book twice, so I've been wondering if anyone has started selling books maybe with a pass code or coupon to get the audio version with it. Has anyone heard of anything like this? It seems like it would be smart for booksellers to do, because then they would sell more copies.
EnlightningLinZ

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Audiobooks sold alongside hard copies?

#2  Postby Animavore » Jun 01, 2010 3:25 pm

That is a good idea.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby EquivoKate » Jun 07, 2010 11:16 pm

I am a big consumer of Audiobooks I believe you can use them to 'read' difficult materials ie philosophy making it less ardous and the time spent which could be up to 15 or more hours is as valuable as reading the books which is an indispensable skill.
You would wish to live life to the full, to the edge etc if you were in my shoes.
EquivoKate

Name: Kate
Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby reisender » Jun 07, 2010 11:44 pm

I'm a big fan of audiobooks. I want to, but never make the time to sit down and read. I'm not even all that busy - I just don't have the patience. However, I started to read "The Greatest Show on Earth" and got about 1/4 through and had to return the book to the library. I downloaded the audiobook and continued where I left off. I couldn't manage. For that heavy a topic, I really needed to be able to read and reread at my own pace and it was actually a lot more boring to listen to than to read. A very rare case for me. I much prefer now to listen than to read.
SpeedOfSound wrote:I also held my last puff before I went into a non-smoking Establishment and gleefully exhaled a half a cigarette inside.
reisender

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 28, 2014 4:19 pm

Just finished His Dark Materials trilogy on youtube. Gonna have to go out and buy the thing in hard copy now - I want to own the physical three dimensional dead tree version it is so good, even though I've read it before. Here's the first part of the trilogy -enjoy!

You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#6  Postby orpheus » Sep 28, 2014 5:58 pm

Animavore wrote:That is a good idea.

+1

It really is a good idea. I'm not such a fan of audiobooks myself*, but I know plenty who are, and the format seems to be growing in popularity.

*The one real exception is Hitch-22. His voice (both spoken and written) was so wonderful, it's a pleasure to hear.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Sciwoman » Sep 28, 2014 7:10 pm

Audio books are great. That's 90% of what's on my iPod. Since I usually work alone doing fairly repetitive work that doesn't require a lot of brain power, I listen to them at work.

It would be great if you could get the audiobook for free if you buy a physical copy, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Audiobooks generally cost two to five times the cost of the physical book for a reason - you have to pay someone to read the book, then you have to pay for the equipment and technicians to run the equipment and edit the recordings into a final product. There are places you can get audiobooks for free, but the books are out of copyright and read by volunteers of varying degrees of competency.

Audible, part of amazon, is one of the larger retailers of audiobooks in the US. Books from them usually start at around $15 (US), but they have a Deal of the Day. Those books usually cost between $1 and $6. Often it's a slightly older book, but I look at as the sale shelf at the bookstore where you'll find recent bestsellers, but not the latest books. iTunes often has an audiobook of the month that runs around $5. Frequently they will have a selection of recent bestsellers for between $3 and $5.
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin
Sciwoman
RS Donator

Name: AKA Ayaan
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Macdoc » Sep 28, 2014 9:30 pm

If you sign up for Kindle Unlimited you can have up to 10 Kindle titles out at once. Brilliant for voracious readers like me...catching up on many wanted to read but could not justify buying titles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... =201553890
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby epepke » Sep 29, 2014 1:36 am

Sciwoman wrote:It would be great if you could get the audiobook for free if you buy a physical copy, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Audiobooks generally cost two to five times the cost of the physical book for a reason - you have to pay someone to read the book, then you have to pay for the equipment and technicians to run the equipment and edit the recordings into a final product. There are places you can get audiobooks for free, but the books are out of copyright and read by volunteers of varying degrees of competency.

Plus, there's considerable value added. There was a time when I used to listen to the Number One Ladies' Detective Agency books on cassette. I loved them. Then I bought one of the books and tried to read it. I couldn't get through it.

Anyway, the best place for free audio books is Librivox.org. They have an iPhone app that works reasonably well, but the pay version (which if memory serves is a dollar) works better. A lot is crud, but there are some real gems, including some mid-20th-century science fiction that somehow got into public domain.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Macdoc » Sep 29, 2014 1:49 am

Number One Ladies' Detective Agency

SO funny - heard on on the radio and then bought them all in book format - can't understand why they didn't catch for you ...they are just brilliant.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby felltoearth » Sep 29, 2014 1:58 am

I belong to a book club and one of the things that annoys me is the fact I can't get a downloadable version of the book if I buy the hard copy. I do most of my reading when I'm out and about but i hate carrying a book and an iPad around with me and I still like having a copy on my shelf. Book publishers mourn the loss of the book but it seems they haven't learned a thing from the music industry.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 29, 2014 7:24 am

I only really bother with foreign language books, where it's kinda important to know the pronunciation of everything.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Sciwoman » Sep 29, 2014 7:31 am

epepke wrote:
Sciwoman wrote:It would be great if you could get the audiobook for free if you buy a physical copy, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Audiobooks generally cost two to five times the cost of the physical book for a reason - you have to pay someone to read the book, then you have to pay for the equipment and technicians to run the equipment and edit the recordings into a final product. There are places you can get audiobooks for free, but the books are out of copyright and read by volunteers of varying degrees of competency.

Plus, there's considerable value added. There was a time when I used to listen to the Number One Ladies' Detective Agency books on cassette. I loved them. Then I bought one of the books and tried to read it. I couldn't get through it.

Anyway, the best place for free audio books is Librivox.org. They have an iPhone app that works reasonably well, but the pay version (which if memory serves is a dollar) works better. A lot is crud, but there are some real gems, including some mid-20th-century science fiction that somehow got into public domain.

I've listened to quite a few books from Librivox.org. You can find some great stuff. Plus, some of the readers are incredibly good. There's been a few times I've downloaded a book just because of the reader.
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin
Sciwoman
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby quas » Oct 12, 2014 3:16 pm

Audiobooks are very inefficient. I read very slowly, and even at my reading rate, an audiobook takes at least 5 times longer to finish a book.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#15  Postby redwhine » Oct 12, 2014 3:26 pm

:o :shock:

Jun 07, 2010 11:44 pm - Sep 28, 2014 4:19 pm

:what:

Is that a record for zombie thread reincarnation?

8-)
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Sciwoman » Feb 02, 2015 4:59 pm

quas wrote:Audiobooks are very inefficient. I read very slowly, and even at my reading rate, an audiobook takes at least 5 times longer to finish a book.

True, but if you are in a situation where you can't carry a book, but can listen to something (say, at work or driving), then an audiobook book is a good alternative.
Sciwoman
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Stumped » Feb 02, 2015 6:00 pm

I'm not a fan of audio books. I rarely like the voice of the reader prefers my own internal voice.
Stumped

Print view this post

#18  Postby NamelessFaceless » Feb 03, 2015 4:40 pm

If you have a Kindle and you purchase a Kindle book that is "Whispersync ready" you can have both the text version on your Kindle as well as the audiobook version, and it's usually cheaper than just buying the Audiobook version.

I've used it before and it really works great. You can even follow along with the text as the narrator reads. Most Kindles also have text-to-speech ability, but that's a Robovoice reading your book aloud. The Whispersync version is the actual professional audiobook narration. It's a much better quality.

I realize Kindle is not the same as a hard copy, but it's still pretty close.

Here's an article about Whispersync if you want to know more:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/09/11 ... -sandwich/
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Shrunk » Feb 03, 2015 5:23 pm

EnlightningLinZ wrote:I love buying books because I like having the hard copies in my apartment to refer to. Something I've read will often come up in conversation, and since I'm terrible at re-telling stories I usually pick up the book and flip to the story.

But I also don't have nearly enough time to get through all of the books that I buy, so I would love to get the audio version of the books. But I can't justify buying a book twice, so I've been wondering if anyone has started selling books maybe with a pass code or coupon to get the audio version with it. Has anyone heard of anything like this? It seems like it would be smart for booksellers to do, because then they would sell more copies.

Seems like an obvious idea. It's similar to what is done with music LP's, which will often include a download code so you can still have the music on your Ipod and computer.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby epepke » Feb 03, 2015 11:30 pm

It sounds like a good idea, but they do have to pay people to read them. Sometimes there's a lot of value added. I loved the audiobook version of the Number One Ladies' Detective Agency, but when I read them in print, I was disappointed. The voice actor was South African, and she did accents splendidly.

The other option would be amateur reading. There is a lot of this on librivox.org, but the materials are public domain (and some of the readings suck).

Probably a good solution would be to offer the print or audio version at a substantial discount if you have bought the other.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to The Arts & Entertainment