Battlefield 3

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Battlefield 3

#21  Postby Macroinvertebrate » Apr 02, 2011 11:20 pm

Jbags wrote:Oh, don't get me wrong, there are aspects of controllers I do really like, like you say, both the rumble feature and having a "trigger" are great aspects of console controllers (and they are great features across game genres, they both work great in racing games for example). I do really like console controls, particularly the xbox360 control, although I prefer the PS3 as a console I prefer the xbox controller, I think it's a really nice piece of kit (I use one to game on my PC).

The problem is, the very nature of a console controller will never give you the precision of a keyboard & mouse setup (part of this is described very well in the article I included in my last post), both in terms of accuracy and movement delays. I dare say if you only play FPS games on console then it won't bother you - but given I play(ed) FPS games on PC and console, I was always very aware of the contrast between the two systems of control.

This is also why you'll never have mixed console & PC FPS multiplayer servers, it'd just be too one sided.

Is there such a thing as too much precision, though? Must be a lot easier to compensate for gun kickback with a mouse. I'm hoping for the next COD and BF that there is at least the option of a gun peripheral. Remember Duck Hunt? That's what I'm talkin' about!
It's so cold in the D.
Macroinvertebrate

Name: Gawd
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby mraltair » Apr 03, 2011 8:30 am

I used my XBox controller on my PC for Black Ops, mainly because I have only played the COD series on the XBox and I was used to it. I fared OK but I never got top score but I do sometimes on the XBox. I'll be going with a mouse from now on.

I prefer the feel of the controller though. Trying to get to grips with blindly pressing the right keys on a keyboard is quite awkward for a while.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Jbags » Apr 06, 2011 5:21 am

Macroinvertebrate wrote:
Jbags wrote:Oh, don't get me wrong, there are aspects of controllers I do really like, like you say, both the rumble feature and having a "trigger" are great aspects of console controllers (and they are great features across game genres, they both work great in racing games for example). I do really like console controls, particularly the xbox360 control, although I prefer the PS3 as a console I prefer the xbox controller, I think it's a really nice piece of kit (I use one to game on my PC).

The problem is, the very nature of a console controller will never give you the precision of a keyboard & mouse setup (part of this is described very well in the article I included in my last post), both in terms of accuracy and movement delays. I dare say if you only play FPS games on console then it won't bother you - but given I play(ed) FPS games on PC and console, I was always very aware of the contrast between the two systems of control.

This is also why you'll never have mixed console & PC FPS multiplayer servers, it'd just be too one sided.

Is there such a thing as too much precision, though? Must be a lot easier to compensate for gun kickback with a mouse. I'm hoping for the next COD and BF that there is at least the option of a gun peripheral. Remember Duck Hunt? That's what I'm talkin' about!

Hell yeah! We could get an RPG peripheral, like what was its name on the SNES.... oh yeah, the super scope!

I remember feeling gutted because the day I sold my NES I found out that you can control the duck in duck hunt with a controller plugged into the second port, what multiplayer fun I had been missing!
世有伯乐然后有千里马
Jbags

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Macroinvertebrate » Apr 06, 2011 8:32 am

Jbags wrote:
Macroinvertebrate wrote:

Hell yeah! We could get an RPG peripheral, like what was its name on the SNES.... oh yeah, the super scope!

I remember feeling gutted because the day I sold my NES I found out that you can control the duck in duck hunt with a controller plugged into the second port, what multiplayer fun I had been missing!

What!? I didn't know that...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
It's so cold in the D.
Macroinvertebrate

Name: Gawd
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Jbags » Apr 06, 2011 1:09 pm

I know! How could fail to mention that in any way in the game? It was probably buried in the manual somewhere... but who ever read a game manual!?

I found out when I was giving the demonstration to the person who was going to buy it... just totally gutted!

I was also reading the wiki page about the super scope, and apparently it is uses the mechanics of a CRT screen to work... so its unlikely I'll ever be able to indulge in that piece of nostalgia again, without actually buying an old TV as well! :(
世有伯乐然后有千里马
Jbags

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#26  Postby SPMaximus » Apr 16, 2011 4:17 pm

Oh shit, 12 minutes of gameplay was released already :popcorn:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zw8SmsovJc[/youtube]
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#27  Postby SPMaximus » Jun 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Bump :popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby XiledSpawn » Jun 08, 2011 8:25 am

Bumping with new content from E3.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPu7-LtLKmU[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pNOxynC1Dc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UwOrl036_A[/youtube]
"Until that day, that all are one" ~ Optimus Prime

Everybody equal, everybody loved!
XiledSpawn
RS Donator

Name: Michael Smith
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#29  Postby SPMaximus » Aug 19, 2011 11:49 pm

righto, since i been jizzing so much over this game, here something i hate

no mod tools = shit, the mods in battlefield 1942 and battlefield 2 were the best things about those games :coffee:
http://wikigameguides.com/Battlefield_3 ... cles-14697
those are the vehicles in the game, only 2 main battle tanks, fuckin abrams and t90, im sooo sick of the abrams in every modern combat game

only 1 type of fighter per side? what the fuck
i guess they are gonna release some dlc's after release like they did with battlefield 2 to add more content :coffee:

its also pretty boring that its the united states vs russia all the bloody time :popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#30  Postby mraltair » Aug 20, 2011 10:53 am

You wouldn't go to war with your second best tank.

I agree on the US-Russia thing. BC2 was US vs Russia, they've done that. People have got their degrees who were born after the cold war ended too. Let's have Lithuania vs Ireland or Portugal vs Spain.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Animavore » Nov 21, 2011 1:58 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeN9ZZgGIkI[/youtube]
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Animavore » Nov 30, 2011 12:22 pm

Just got a massive new patch today. Nearly 800mb. Hope the VOIP is fixed.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Rome Existed » Dec 01, 2011 3:21 am

Game is broken. The forum has exploded with thousands of posts from people who can no longer play since the last 1 or 2 patches.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Animavore » Dec 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Downloading the new map back :dance:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#35  Postby mraltair » Dec 06, 2011 3:59 pm

Where did it go?
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby mraltair » Dec 06, 2011 7:35 pm

So just got given a 3.9GB download. I seem to be able to move on in the campaign again. :yay:
Until I get EXACTLY the same issue later on. I so very much enjoy watching the campaign sit there, uncompleted while I play a less buggy game. Made by Bethesda, imagine that!

:nono:
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Animavore » Dec 06, 2011 7:39 pm

There's a campaign in Battlefield? :eh:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#38  Postby mraltair » Dec 07, 2011 4:28 pm

Animavore wrote:There's a campaign in Battlefield? :eh:

:lol:

The multiplayer is very very good, but I like to get the campaign out of the way in most games. Actually the story has been pretty good so far not just a straightforward 'Russians/Arabs are doing bad stuff-> shock 'n' awe!'.

PS - I worked out that the glitch is caused by an NPC not loading. The first time I noticed, Montes appeared and off we went. I noticed the second one when after about 5 restarts there were 2 men in the front of the car, which would explain the gunshots with no gun. :think:
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#39  Postby aban57 » Dec 08, 2011 12:09 pm

Animavore wrote:Downloading the new map back :dance:

and you paid 15 euros for 4 maps ? unbelievable :scratch:
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Animavore » Dec 08, 2011 12:10 pm

aban57 wrote:
Animavore wrote:Downloading the new map back :dance:

and you paid 15 euros for 4 maps ? unbelievable :scratch:

Lol! I got them free because I got the limited edition on pre-order.

:dance:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to The Arts & Entertainment