Bert Jansch

has died, aged 67

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Bert Jansch

#1  Postby chairman bill » Oct 05, 2011 1:51 pm

The great & generally wonderful guitarist, Bert Jansch, has shuffled off this mortal coil, run down the curtain & gone to join the choir invisible. He's fucking snuffed it. And if you don't know who I'm talking about, go find out, listen to some of his stuff. Like this ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqjUWJtH88c[/youtube]
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Bert Jansch

#2  Postby rEvolutionist » Oct 05, 2011 1:57 pm

I've got no idea who this dude is. And I can't watch videos. But it's always sad when someone you really dug kicks the bucket. This isn't a piss take... I still think, from time to time, about how sad it is that Layne Staley bit it, even though it was about 10 years ago. I can't help thinking at random moments when listening to random music what awesome stuff he would be producing today if he was still around. edit: and drug free (or thereabouts).
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 05, 2011 2:17 pm

Bill Angie was really his only claim to fame was it not. He was a good guitarist.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Emmeline » Oct 05, 2011 5:46 pm

So sad to hear this - I was a great fan of Pentangle in my youth and Bert also inspired me to keep practising my folk guitar, although I never mastered "Angie". RIP Bert x
Emmeline

Print view this post

#5  Postby NilsGLindgren » Feb 04, 2012 3:45 pm

Oh, found this when looking around - Bert Jansch and John Renbourn were my idols back in the early 70s ... I used to play Angie, it was almost a party stopper. Couldn't do it today, sigh ...
H.L. Menken: "Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
NilsGLindgren

Name: Nyarla Thotep

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Emmeline » Feb 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Very impressed you could play Angie at all, regardless of how long ago. :cheers:
Emmeline

Print view this post

#7  Postby NilsGLindgren » Feb 05, 2012 8:26 am

I never considered myself a very good guitarist, still, Renbourn/Jansch were my role models (with Mississippi John Hurt, whom I had the great fortune of seeing live twice) ... "Lady Nothing's Toye Puffe" was a favorite.
H.L. Menken: "Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
NilsGLindgren

Name: Nyarla Thotep

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Return to The Arts & Entertainment