Book buying questions

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Book buying questions

#1  Postby Delphin » Feb 26, 2010 10:22 am

Lazar wrote:
OMG can you please tell me where to get English Language books in Southern Germany please!!

What? There's no internet in Southern Germany? ;) I get most of my stuff over amazon.de or bol.de or bookdepository.co.uk They all ship for free.

Otherwise try "Thalia" or "Hugendubel". Many of their branches have English language books sections.
Delphin

Female

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: 50 Book Challenge 2010

#2  Postby Lazar » Feb 26, 2010 10:37 am

Delphin wrote:
Lazar wrote:
OMG can you please tell me where to get English Language books in Southern Germany please!!

What? There's no internet in Southern Germany? ;) I get most of my stuff over amazon.de or bol.de or bookdepository.co.uk They all ship for free.

Otherwise try "Thalia" or "Hugendubel". Many of their branches have English language books sections.

I do live in Tübingen so I occasionally have internet when I can peddle the bike fast enough to get the electricity working ;)

Yer the interenet is fine but sometimes I just don't know what I want and want to have a flick through a bunch before deciding. Back in Oz I spent about three hours a week in Boarders, and while I love Germany, I miss my book stores.

Spinozasgalt: "And how come no one ever sigs me?"
Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Delphin » Feb 26, 2010 10:52 am

Ok, neither a Thalia nor a Hugeldubel in Tübingen, but check out this one in Stuttgart:

Buchhandlung Hugendubel
Königstraße 5
70173 Stuttgart

Hugendubel, Stuttgart

They have a foreign language section.

And there's a Thalia in Reutlingen, three floors, should have English books.

Thalia Reutlingen
Müller Galerie
Wilhelmstraße 40
72764 Reutlingen
Delphin

Female

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Lazar » Feb 26, 2010 11:15 am

Delphin wrote:Ok, neither a Thalia nor a Hugeldubel in Tübingen, but check out this one in Stuttgart:

Buchhandlung Hugendubel
Königstraße 5
70173 Stuttgart

Hugendubel, Stuttgart

They have a foreign language section.

And there's a Thalia in Reutlingen, three floors, should have English books.

Thalia Reutlingen
Müller Galerie
Wilhelmstraße 40
72764 Reutlingen

Thanks, many many thanks. I am actually taking a suitcase to Munich on the weekend to stock up at the English Language shop there. Quite sad really.

Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Book buying questions

#5  Postby tnjrp » Feb 26, 2010 11:22 am

There was a pretty good International Bookshop (I think that was the name, even) in Berlin but of course that's not too close to Tübingen. A bit older books were quite affordable there.

For Internet, one likes to recommend
http://www.play.com

It's not the cheapest around necessarily, nor yet does it have the largest stock list in the virtual 'verse, but it's postage free and the books arrive quickly and singly in inconspicious brown packages... :thumbup:

There's also a used books market called PlayTrade where you can even get new books for cheaper than the actual site has them.
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Delphin » Feb 26, 2010 11:23 am

If you ever come to Frankfurt, please let me know. We have some English book shops here, too.
Delphin

Female

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Lazar » Feb 26, 2010 11:34 am

Delphin wrote:If you ever come to Frankfurt, please let me know. We have some English book shops here, too.

Thanks will do! I have only been to Frankfurt Airport and then onto the train so I am planning a trip soon.

Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Reverend Blair » Feb 26, 2010 2:11 pm

A bit of thread drift, but does anybody else hate buying books on the internet? I much prefer stumbling around a bookstore and looking at the books. That way I always get the one I went there for, and one or two that I had no idea I wanted.
Damned deer. Sneaking into the backyard like rats and killing my trees.
Reverend Blair

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby misanthropic_clown » Feb 26, 2010 2:15 pm

Reverend Blair wrote:A bit of thread drift, but does anybody else hate buying books on the internet? I much prefer stumbling around a bookstore and looking at the books. That way I always get the one I went there for, and one or two that I had no idea I wanted.

I usually cheat and look around a book shop to find what I want and have a little browse, then buy what I find on the internet.
misanthropic_clown

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Lazar » Feb 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Reverend Blair wrote:A bit of thread drift, but does anybody else hate buying books on the internet? I much prefer stumbling around a bookstore and looking at the books. That way I always get the one I went there for, and one or two that I had no idea I wanted.

yes. This is my problem. I could buy them on the internet but then I would miss out on the book I stumble upon in a book store.

Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby David M » Feb 26, 2010 5:24 pm

Yes and no. I tend to use the library and bookstores for authors I haven't read before but once I know I like an author I tend to always buy their new stuff from the internet as it has that nice pre-order function.

Best of both worlds.
David M

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Rawnaeris » Feb 27, 2010 7:44 pm

I do this too. Unless it's a book I can't get at the local Barnes & Noble. Then I find it online. :shifty:
I am a work in progress.
Rawnaeris

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Lazar » Mar 01, 2010 7:39 am

Went to the English Language Book shop in Munich. :dance:

Spent more money than I care to mention. Thanks for the advice.

Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby tnjrp » Mar 01, 2010 8:30 am

Reverend Blair wrote:A bit of thread drift, but does anybody else hate buying books on the internet?
Not me. Heck, I guess I might even buy my groceries over the 'net if the delivery companies were allowed to carry beer in this gawdforsaken land :drunk:
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Return to The Arts & Entertainment